The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Coincides with The Sun’s campaign to hire more truck drivers. Hopefully it’s driven by guilt that they f***ed the country up, but I doubt it.

Nah it's just populist posturing, having campaigns that they know are impossible to achieve
I'll wager that the Heil one will turn into some sort of it's the  EU's fault campaign at some point further forward but this is just the Heil conveniently forgetting that they aren't in Govrnment and are trying to seem reasonable at the outset.

The Scum campaign might even turn the same way, Why won't these foreign truck drivers return, conveniently forgetting to tell everyone that its because the pay and conditions are so much better in the EU (max 45 hours week and at least 6 hotels a week) and if they don't come to the UK on their runs, they aren't risking imprisonment because an illegal immigrant was clinging on for deal life under their truck and they don't waste entire days at the border

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Religious nutters want it's people to volunteer to starve themselves

fsk6y046v9k71.jpg?width=960&height=642&c

1. It’s not the Irish Republic. Hasn't been since 1922.

2. If these boys think Leo Varadkar and Micheal Martin (who are very moderate nationalists) are “the enemy”, they have a shock coming when Sinn Féin get into government.

3. Dublin doesn’t care about exports to the North. Small change. It cares about Irish people in the North having access to the single market.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Enda said:

1. It’s not the Irish Republic. Hasn't been since 1922.

2. If these boys think Leo Varadkar and Micheal Martin (who are very moderate nationalists) are “the enemy”, they have a shock coming when Sinn Féin get into government.

3. Dublin doesn’t care about exports to the North. Small change. It cares about Irish people in the North having access to the single market.

Doesn't NI get all it's electricity and most of its Gas from Ireland too?

So starve themeselves whilst living in the stone age?

They’ve probably been spooked by that latest N.I. polling that suggests less than 30% think there shouldn’t be a referendum on unification at some point in the future.

So being retards they’ve thought the best way to combat that is to ask people to be deliberately poorer, colder and hungrier.

• Like 1

Captain Brexit himself feeing the pinch now, what a shame.

Some drinkers will be disappointed if they head to Wetherspoons this week, as the pub chain is facing shortages of some beer brands. 

Pints of Carling and Coors are unavailable in some branches, with the problem due to a lack of lorry drivers.

JD Wetherspoon is just the latest business to have to deal with shortages.

Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: ‘We are experiencing some supply problems with both Carling and Coors, which means that some pubs do not have the products available.

‘We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience caused.

‘We know that the brewers are trying to resolve the issue.’

Graham Hughes shared a photo of a sign from a Wetherspoons pub on Twitter which said: ‘We regret to inform you that we are out of stock of Carling, Coors and Bud Light.

‘Due to supply issues regards to lack of lorry drivers and strike action which are out of our control [sic]’. 

Tim Martin, the founder of Wetherspoons, was a key backer of Brexit before the referendum. The chain printed 200,000 beer mats urging people to ‘take back control’ in 2016.

But he may not love every aspect of the decision now that it has actually happened.

Many lorry drivers from EU countries returned to the continent during the pandemic and remained there.

Link

What is the strike action by the way? Wouldn’t surprise me if they just made that up.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

What is the strike action by the way? Wouldn’t surprise me if they just made that up.

There was a strike on 23rd Aug over pay and conditions.

A truck drivers strike has been proposed for 23rd August to protest about poor pay and conditions.

Around 3,000 drivers have so far planned to stay at home on that Monday.

As a result, it is hoped that the action will bring a greater focus on the ongoing truck driver shortage....

...demands should include a minimum wage of £15 an hour.

Furthermore, the page propose a 45-hour week plus paid breaks, with overtime paid at 1.5 times the hourly ra

Pretty much wanting what Truck Drivers get paid in the EU, they even stopped short of demanding the 6 hotels stops a week

They'll eventually get it too, Waitrose and Tesco have already given their truck drivers huge pay rises and I mean huge, pay now over £50k a year

• Thanks 1

Cheers @bickster

I remember suggesting a few weeks ago that there would be strikes from Truck drivers as they realise they hold the cards.

Someone I know’s son is a truck driver, he said his son was called into the office and told without warning his pay was going up from £32k to £40k.

Lots of silence from the Government on shortages, unless it’s not making the news over other major events.

Another big CEO getting a dose of project reality 

How it started

how it’s going

Votes and campaigns to end free movement, then complains that lack of free movement is causing issues exactly as predicted. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Who are these people that want to come and work here as drivers? It's a myth. Why would anyone want that, the hours are long, they pay is shit, the conditions are shit and if you're on a cross channel route you risk being put in jail if an illegal imigrant stows away under your truck. These people are seriously deluded

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Link

"out of our control"?!

But, but... I thought we took back control?

How can this happen?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"out of our control"?!

But, but... I thought we took back control?

How can this happen?

At least **** own it Mr Martin.

”out of our control” = exactly the type of distribution problems that were predicted.

I hope he goes bankrupt (and someone sensible buys the business for a quid and saves the jobs).

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Link

Out of Carling, Coors and and Bud Light? 

This could be the first bit of positive Brexit news I've seen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Out of Carling, Coors and and Bud Light? 

This could be the first bit of positive Brexit news I've seen. 

Nah, the other better beers will now be more in demand and will run out sooner.

Â