The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

On the same subject, also worth a read is this interview in The London Economic

A lorry driver has explained why he is thinking of following in the footsteps of his colleagues and moving back to Romania to work across Europe.

Viorel Alexandru Onu used to work as a lorry driver across the continent for a firm in his native Transylviania, Romania. He was working six weeks at a time followed by two weeks off at home, and used to sleep in the lorry cabin until an EU law meant he had to rest for 45 hours in a hotel room every week.

He thinks his previous work conditions were better than the ones he has in the UK. “I don’t currently have time for anything else,” he said.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

We’ve got to get rid of these arseholes in charge and then have a grown up conversation about what’s best for the UK.

A huge swathe of the UK population isn't capable of having a grown up conversation

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

A huge swathe of the UK population isn't capable of having a grown up conversation

Yes, I agree. I just hope some of the 52% have come to their senses. 
Better still, don’t risk such an important decision on the general public, of which 95% have no clue about what they are voting for.

Edited by Genie

We used to supply beer mats to pubs and clubs, we still have some in stock but won't be continuing because they were sourced from the EU. Not only would we have to register as an importer (and all the bollocks that entails), the tariffs would push the price to silly levels so we decided it wasn't worth it.

Today, a local BrexitPubChain got in touch today to see if they could have some...

Yeah right, that wasn't happening. 

The first time ive seen a big business confidently say the shortages are due to Brexit and not Covid. 
4-F6-E520-A-C59-B-4043-BDC8-C8153-B558-F

If the current government weren’t so **** useless I’d accept it as transitional pains… but the vote was 5 years ago and yet here we are.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Depends on what skills you have that they are short of in Aus

Yep, as an engineer with a degree I could probably get a visa if I looked into it properly.

I knew quite a few people that relocated to Melbourne from JLR when they were owned by Ford as it was an easy transition and there were people doing all the admin. 
I think nowadays Ford are winding down their engineering out there which is a shame.

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think nowadays Ford are winding down their engineering out there which is a shame.

Yeah, they were shutting down all the car factories when I was there in 2013/14 - Toyota and Holden are definitely gone, and I think Ford, too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, they were shutting down all the car factories when I was there in 2013/14 - Toyota and Holden are definitely gone, and I think Ford, too.

I think they have big bases on China now and covering the Australia market from there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I’d be tempted to go to Oz is there was an easy way to get a job and move.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Depends on what skills you have that they are short of in Aus

Can you speak without going into a high pitched whine at the end of each sentence? They're definitely short of that skill I would say. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can you speak without going into a high pitched whine at the end of each sentence? They're definitely short of that skill I would say. 

I can’t cook on a barbie for love nor money. I’d have to look into a crash course when I arrived.

Â