The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

• VT Supporter

How are Spain able to set their own rules with regards to immigrants? 
We were told very clearly that the EU control these things, and would simply not allow it.

Can't wait to see the new series of escape to the sun, where a bunch of ex-pats find out that they have to move from the Costa del Sol to Scunthorpe

More than 50 police officers injured in NI in the past week. Cars burned out, petrol bombs thrown, worst violence in years. The BBC report on who is behind it carefully tip-toes around it being Loyalist scumbags rioting, noting that "violence has been concentrated in areas where criminal gangs linked to loyalist paramilitaries have significant influence."

Wouldn't have anything to do with Brexit and borders, would it? Not at all. No chance of violence erupting in Derry. The uncertain peace is safe as houses mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

All the fault of remainers. As predictable as it is pathetic.

Why are these words removed so keen to rewrite history so quickly? Is this not the titanic success we were promised? :) 

30 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Why are these words removed so keen to rewrite history so quickly? Is this not the titanic success we were promised? :) 

Depends how you're defining success. Plenty of Tories considered the Belfast Agreement as a surrender to the forces of Irish nationalism.

Some of them will see the petrol bombs flying again as a big win.

• VT Supporter

I wouldn't describe O'Neill as performatively stupid, more relentlessly cynical and contrarian.

Obviously they're both abysmal in their different ways, but I find Hodges' form of bad faith even more irritating than O'Neill's.

EDIT: Actually read that O'Neill column back again, and just realised he doesn't use the words 'Good Friday Agreement' anywhere within it. This might be a good time to remember that the Spiked/RCP crowd opposed the Good Friday Agreement, and viewed Sinn Fein as cowards for joining negotiations back in the day.

The closest O'Neill gets to mentioning his and his mates' histories on the issue is:

'Northern Ireland, against the wishes of its Unionist majority, is being partitioned from the rest of the UK on certain economic, political and legal matters. This is wrong. And I say this as someone who has long wanted to see a United Ireland. But not this kind of United Ireland. Not an Ireland being increasingly united under the undemocratic purview of EU rule and against the wishes of both the Unionist electorate in Northern Ireland and the British people more broadly, who in 2016 voted in good faith for the entire UK to be an independent nation free of EU rules and regulations.'

I have to say it is quite confusing why it should matter to a united Ireland what the 'wishes' of 'the British people more broadly' are, but I guess he's spent so long palling around with loyalists that he's become one.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â