The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1. Ireland introduced its own currency reasonably shortly after it became independent a century ago. It was pegged to GBP until after we entered the EU fifty odd years later. Worked out fine.

2. Two men shot in Derry tonight, and apparently the INLA are claiming responsibility. The fourth shooting since Christmas.

• Like 3

Turns out the reason we don't buy much seafood over here is the sub par branding.

BBC - Brexit: 'Under-loved' fish renamed for British tastes

Fishermen are to rename two of their biggest exports in a bid to attract British consumers after post-Brexit difficulties selling to the EU.

Megrim sole is to be sold as Cornish sole, with spider crab being rebranded as Cornish King crab.

It is being driven by the Cornish Fish Producers Organisation (CFPO) after research with chefs and consumers.

Paul Trebilcock from the CFPO said: "There is something about the names that has negative connotations."

Both species primarily rely on exports to Europe, which he explained that "in the current climate is not a pleasant experience".

"The two species are particularly under-loved in this country but really popular with some of our export markets."

Unfortunately it wont save many of these fisherman losing everything in the short term, but I do hope eventually people buy more fresh seafood so it can become cheaper and more readily available. I always eat loads of seafood on holiday as the cost and quality is so superior to what you'll get in most places here.

It's a bit weird for an island nation and self proclaimed 'rulers of the waves' that we are so afraid of eating stuff from the sea.

5 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's a bit weird for an island nation and self proclaimed 'rulers of the waves' that we are so afraid of eating stuff from the sea.

Speak for yourself. Personally I eat fish fingers at least once a week. 

• Haha 1

Fish about twice a week for me.

Top tip: Lidl ‘fish’ in breadcrumbs is actually pollock, but nobody will buy pollock, so they call it fish and charge £2.39 for four pieces. It’s great value.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 22:21, Enda said:

1. Ireland introduced its own currency reasonably shortly after it became independent a century ago. It was pegged to GBP until after we entered the EU fifty odd years later. Worked out fine.

2. Two men shot in Derry tonight, and apparently the INLA are claiming responsibility. The fourth shooting since Christmas.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Bunch of dingbats. There are lots of people in Northern Ireland who deserve sympathy, but the "I wanted it, but I didn't want this" crowd deserve every last bit of upset they get out of it.

They were quite happy to ruin other people's lives, they only get uppity when their shit decisions inconvenience themselves. 

They can all get in the sea. And pay a visit to the new border that they created.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Bunch of dingbats. There are lots of people in Northern Ireland who deserve sympathy, but the "I wanted it, but I didn't want this" crowd deserve every last bit of upset they get out of it.

They were quite happy to ruin other people's lives, they only get uppity when their shit decisions inconvenience themselves. 

They can all get in the sea. And pay a visit to the new border that they created.

Yes and no.

Obviously many voted leave not knowing what it was, stupid and they got what they deserved.

However, for many months Boris has been saying they would not be subject to different rules as the rest of the UK and there would not be a border in the sea. They are right to be a bit pissed about that.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I am but as every day passes, I also get angrier and angrier too

I bumped into an old mate in the garage just now, he's essentially a bit of a meathead but one with a bit of a brain. He started working the doors in the clubs, started a security firm but one that did gig venues not clubs so stayed out of the gangster element, then eventually worked his was up through the business by taking every opportunity that fell in his path and he's now a minder to big touring musicians. He hasn't done a days work since last march and has nothing booked in, he's usually booked up 18 months to 2 years in advance. Man is angry that Brexit has f***ed him over.

This government have literally f***ed the music business. Did you know that 80% of the vehicles used to tour Europe are Britishj? Similarly 80% of the touring staff are British, or should I say were. The accepted way to tour was you came to the UK, rehearsed here with a British crew and British logistics (we absolutely rule the world in this btw) then took that same crew and logistics to tour Europe. British Music trucking companies have many Left Hand Drive trucks for this express purpose. Swap the trucks and coaches at the end of the UK tour, then tour Europe. That is now totally screwed an entire industry screwed.

Worth a f***ton more than sodding fish too

If only the song went "Britannia rules the air waves"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes and no.

Obviously many voted leave not knowing what it was, stupid and they got what they deserved.

However, for many months Boris has been saying they would not be subject to different rules as the rest of the UK and there would not be a border in the sea. They are right to be a bit pissed about that.

They chose to believe a known liar in Johnson, backed up by other known liars, that they then turned out to be lying bastards should hardly have come as a surprise should it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes and no.

Others have colourfully pointed out the folly in trusting him, so it probably doesn't need another version of the same thing.

But just in case, lots people who didn't have a long history of being lying scumbags said he was lying and there would be a border in the sea. And that they'd probably be better off not trusting the lying scumbag.

They decided to go with the lying scumbag. And probably will next time as well. So screw 'em.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If you are an adult in the UK with enough interest to vote, and you believe anything Johnson says, you deserve anything coming your way.

It’s not a leftie political opinion that Johnson is a liar, it’s evidenced by everything he ever says on any subject. He is a lazy lying conman, if you can’t see that, I’m amazed you’ve got the brain cells to find the voting booth.

I absolutely agree, but there are A LOT of people who think he’s not a bumbling, bullshitting clown. That is undeniable.

He walked the election because he had the Brexit golden ticket in his hand. Many believed that from all across the UK.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Forget your fishing industry, queues at ports and last minute tax payments on Internet orders. 

This is what's going to really screw us over and I don't like the sound of the mood music. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56017419

EU could cut UK out of financial markets - Andrew Bailey

There are signs the EU plans to cut the UK off from its financial markets, the Bank of England governor has warned.

Andrew Bailey said the City wanted to reach an agreement on financial rules, but would not accept being "dictated" to by Brussels.

Both sides are working towards a March deadline to agree an "equivalence" regime under which each would recognise the other's regulation.

But Mr Bailey said EU demands had so far been unreasonable.

"I'm afraid a world in which the EU dictates and determines which rules and standards we have in the UK isn't going to work," the governor said in his annual Mansion House speech to the City, this year held virtually.

"Is the EU going to cut the UK off from itself? There are signs of an intention to do so at the moment but I think that would be a mistake," he added.

Financial services - a key driver of the UK economy - were largely omitted from the last-minute Brexit trade deal agreed in December.

As a result the City has been cut off from EU markets since 1 January, something that is already causing the £135bn industry to lose business to hubs such as Amsterdam.

Â