The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/30/uk-firms-plan-to-shift-across-channel-after-brexit-chaos

UK firms plan to shift across Channel after Brexit chaos

Threat to British jobs as companies look to move operations overseas

Hundreds of UK companies could switch operations to countries inside the EU in what is threatening to become a dramatic exodus of investment and jobs caused by Brexit.

If companies switch all or parts of their operations to Europe it will mean the loss of jobs, economic activity and tax revenue at home.

By moving back inside the single market, companies with large numbers of customers in the EU can transport goods in bulk, avoiding the charges on individual items that have afflicted couriers this year. They can also avoid the problem of VAT charges hitting their customers.

While ministers have tried to dismiss business concerns about the new barriers to trade caused by the UK exit from the single market and customs union, the loss of jobs, investment and tax revenue is fast turning into a full-blown crisis.

Project fear Remoaners I'm sure warned about this. 

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/30/uk-firms-plan-to-shift-across-channel-after-brexit-chaos

By moving back inside the single market, companies with large numbers of customers in the EU can transport goods in bulk, avoiding the charges on individual items that have afflicted couriers this year. They can also avoid the problem of VAT charges hitting their customers.

While ministers have tried to dismiss business concerns about the new barriers to trade caused by the UK exit from the single market and customs union, the loss of jobs, investment and tax revenue is fast turning into a full-blown crisis.

Comedy Central GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I would think there are opportunities for Ireland or Northern Ireland there. 

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

UK firms plan to shift across Channel after Brexit chaos

Threat to British jobs as companies look to move operations overseas

Hundreds of UK companies could switch operations to countries inside the EU in what is threatening to become a dramatic exodus of investment and jobs caused by Brexit.

If companies switch all or parts of their operations to Europe it will mean the loss of jobs, economic activity and tax revenue at home.

I could have had a career as a male model.  

Hundreds of UK companies could switch operations to countries inside the EU” was one of the few things we knew for certain back in 2016. The decision of the people of the UK was to take that chance because of all the benefits (which are still TBC I believe).

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Hundreds of UK companies could switch operations to countries inside the EU” was one of the few things we knew for certain back in 2016. The decision of the people of the UK was to take that chance because of all the benefits (which are still TBC I believe).

I think a hell of a lot of British people believed the Brexiteers who told them that actually wouldn't happen at all. 

One of the themes of Brexit which was reinforced by Brexiteers was a lot of (mainly older) people saying "we did alright before we went into the EU" which Brexiteers would latch onto and encourage that line of thinking 

In those days we traded with European companies perfectly well and UK companies didn't have to move functions to Europe (probably beyond a small sales office). 

Whilst the EU did exist before we joined it was still very embryonic and much smaller than it is now. 

What the Brexiteers failed to explain is what a completely different animal the EU is now compared to 1973.   The partners are SO much more connected now and there is SO much more trade and so so many barriers to trade have been reduced since then.

In short what we did in the good old days before 1973 which all those oldies remember so fondly (don't we always have often misplaced thoughts of how much better it used to be?) just is not going to work now. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

One of the themes of Brexit which was reinforced by Brexiteers was a lot of (mainly older) people saying "we did alright before we went into the EU" which Brexiteers would latch onto and encourage that line of thinking 

In those days we traded with European companies perfectly well and UK companies didn't have to move functions to Europe (probably beyond a small sales office). 

Whilst the EU did exist before we joined it was still very embryonic and much smaller than it is now. 

What the Brexiteers failed to explain is what a completely different animal the EU is now compared to 1973.   The partners are SO much more connected now and there is SO much more trade and so so many barriers to trade have been reduced since then.

In short what we did in the good old days before 1973 which all those oldies remember so fondly (don't we always have often misplaced thoughts of how much better it used to be?) just is not going to work now. 

Too right. In fact, these same people often complained about how much the EU has evolved since the 1970s.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Even that was utter bollocks, the country was on its knees when we went in

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I see we're looking to join the CPTPP. I would assume that means submitting to their investor dispute courts? 

Ahhhh sovereignty.

I caught a bit about this on Marr this morning. The terms with New Zealand are worse than what we have today. They asked the government representative what was the point of a deal that costs money versus today and she said it was because New Zealand are a very influential nation to be trading with :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I see we're looking to join the CPTPP. I would assume that means submitting to their investor dispute courts? 

Ahhhh sovereignty.

We also have FTAs with about 7 of the countries already I think I read

• Like 2

Credible threats from Loyalist paramilitaries against average Tom, Dick, and Harrys working at the ports. Staff told not to come to work today.

Look nobody got hurt because they avoided it but this shows that threats of violence against normal people (we usually call that “terrorism”) is alive and well in Belfast.

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Credible threats from Loyalist paramilitaries against average Tom, Dick, and Harrys working at the ports. Staff told not to come to work today.

Look nobody got hurt because they avoided it but this shows that threats of violence against normal people (we usually call that “terrorism”) is alive and well in Belfast.

Nah, you must have that wrong. 

The risk to peace on the island of Ireland was just scaremongering. Bitter fantasies, dreamt up by Remoaner traitors.

Happy to set you right.

A blank canvas is a lot easier to sell to people than a detailed plan. The Brexit unicorn has meant a dozen of different things to different people. I'll be fascinated to see polling in ~5 years on how many people think it was a good idea once we've started to see the consequences and got to weigh up the good and bad. 

It's one of the things that angered me the most about "the will of the people". Brexit means Brexit. People went along with that nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A blank canvas is a lot easier to sell to people than a detailed plan. The Brexit unicorn has meant a dozen of different things to different people.

Yes, but I'm not really talking about selling to the public here. There are the things you talk about in the think tanks, and then there are the things you put on the side of buses or leak to the papers. For example, Tory thinktanks have a ton of ideas of what they want to do about judicial review, but of course those details aren't in the media; the media setting is just for creating an ambient dislike of judges.

What's amusing in this instance is that they don't even seem to have had many ideas in their thinktank universe about what to do with these powers, despite having fought two general elections and deposed one leader to get them in the first place.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A blank canvas is a lot easier to sell to people than a detailed plan. The Brexit unicorn has meant a dozen of different things to different people. I'll be fascinated to see polling in ~5 years on how many people think it was a good idea once we've started to see the consequences and got to weigh up the good and bad. 

It's one of the things that angered me the most about "the will of the people". Brexit means Brexit. People went along with that nonsense.

It's become very apparent as a result of the fungus pandemic that the Gov't is, to say the least, ill-equipped to govern. I think Brexit implementation is another example.

What seems to be the case is that the Politicians who are good at getting to the top are by and large good "persuaders" - sales people, basically. When that's aided by lack of scrutiny it just compounds the problem. What is actually needed in times of crisis is not salespeople, but experts and people with the skills to think critically, to diagnose, to identify options and consider the merits and details and implications, before deciding on which way to go. People with those skills are not often good sales-people, because almost by nature, critical thinking and examination of detail highlights the negatives as well as the positives.

We saw with brexit an absolute commitment to ignoring facts, to ignoring expertise. And the same persists with the corollafungus, too. it's mostly "wing and a prayer" stuff, hoping for the best, hoping for your hobbyhorse (unicorn) to appear.

It's pitiful and deeply disconcerting to know that the Government is so utterly lacking in competence and is incapable of performing the tasks that are its primary responsibility.

• Like 1

Â