The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

More project fear, it’ll never happen.

Though it would be difficult to know with the post office.

I had three identical parcels sent to me from the same person on the same day (Monday), posted late afternoon, 11 miles from where I live. One turned up 7:00am the next morning, the next arrived Friday afternoon. The last one arrived the next Monday, a whole 7 days after posting. Same parcel, same address sticker, same postage cost. They must literally have put the last one in storage somewhere and thought, meh, we’ll maybe deliver it towards the end of the week or next week maybe.

First class, recorded delivery, 11 mile journey.... 7 days.

If I’d walked there, picked it up and walked back home, I’d have shaved 6.5 days of that time.

So yeah, I can see how getting something to Poland could be problematic for them.

The other thing you are going to see is such and such only happened because it's a bad deal ignoring that no deal would have resulted in exactly the same or worse. 

In addition THEY TOLD US THE DEAL WOULD BE EASY.  Theresa May was booted out because she couldn't negotiate a good enough deal so the big boys took over to go and sort the deal out. 

If the deal was easy as promised and we've had 2 administrations negotiate it WHY IS IT STILL A BAD DEAL? 

They were so much better than remain at the PR side.  They won it on bullshit.  Look at the slogans 

Remoaners 

Project Fear (project seer more like) 

No deal is better than a bad deal.  Then why have you recommended a bad deal then Boris? Because you knew damn well no deal was simply no option for us because it would be economic suicide. Your snappy slogan was yet another lie. 

So we're left with all of the drawbacks and none of the benefits - not that there were any benefits to be had anyway

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So we're left with all of the drawbacks and none of the benefits - not that there were any benefits to be had anyway

Didn’t you get £350m per week for the NHS once you left the EU? That has to come in handy in a time like this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AXD said:

Didn’t you get £350m per week for the NHS once you left the EU? That has to come in handy in a time like this?

Oh yes, I am looking forward to my personal physician next year.  I am 100% sure I will see an enormous improvement in the NHS.  life will never be the same again 😁

• Haha 2

In a roundabout sort of way, Corbyn is to blame for a lot of where we are now. May is, too. And most of the Labour PLP, various remain commentators and the Labour membership. So I guess everyone then.

May's deal was a lot better than Johnson's. Most people outside of the ERG would take your hand off for it now. But Corbyn whipped against it time after time because he saw it as a way to bring down the government and force a general election which he thought he had a chance of winning. But he was hugely encouraged to do that by all of the remainers who saw any kind of brexit as unacceptable and that their only chance was a 2nd referendum.

Had Corbyn just backed the chequers deal, the last 3 years would have gone a lot more smoothly and we would have left on more favourable terms by now.

But I don't think he would have been allowed to do anything but block anything to do with brexit. When all of leave went to the Tories, Labour could only try to keep as much of the remain vote as possible. The members were overwhelmingly remain and the Lib Dems were breathing down Labour's neck.

It should have been so different but we've ended up at pretty much the worst place we could and I'm not sure how anything could have been done differently to avoid this outcome.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Worrying analysis by David Allen Green

Very worrying and underlines the worries about the covid emergency legislation being practice for much wider stuff.

'Taking back control'. :rolleyes:

Starmer at al. nodding this through should also be concerning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

The EU officially signed the trade deal this morning, then it was flown from Brussels to London by the RAF to be signed by “us” this afternoon.

Seems like we could have saved tens of thousands of pounds using esignatures. Sorry, this agreement talks about Netscape...fax machines? :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Seems like we could have saved tens of thousands of pounds using esignatures. Sorry, this agreement talks about Netscape...fax machines? :D 

That was my though, how much would it cost to setup that flight? They could have just signed, scanned and emailed it over you’d have thought. 

If it was an in person agreement, I can understand the pomp and ceremony for a photo op, I'm a bit surprised they need to fly over a physical document though. It's completely insignificant on a national budget, I'm just genuinely quite surprised they need something to be physically signed for an agreement between nation states these days.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The could have picked "soft leave" and argued for that, with the aim of forcing the government to steer in that direction.

This would have been the least worst option, but remainers spent a lot of time counter-productively deriding this as 'unicorns' and 'fantasy'.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

The EU officially signed the trade deal this morning, then it was flown from Brussels to London by the RAF to be signed by “us” this afternoon.

Spitfire, no doubt.

With all the tories on the white cliffs doing their best Benny Hill salutes.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

Keep those RAF Jets warmed up in case there is anything we don't like in it. They can be over Berlin in 20 minutes. 

40 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Spitfire, no doubt.

With all the tories on the white cliffs doing their best Benny Hill salutes.

I think there is an element of truth in your humour. I’m sure it could have been signed a different, more efficient way. But it was a show of strength for those that like that sort of thing. Very Putin-esque.

• Like 1

Â