The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

No deal it is then.  Yay 🙄

Exactly what it was always going to be. The previous extensions etc were agreed by the Tory party on the tacit understanding that the the end was a no deal.

The time between is a charade. Only there to make the barest prepatory moves and extend the time to make the necessary moves to maximise profit from it.

I've nothing but disdain for all them. Government to man on the street. **** em all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I made the mistake of looking at Twitter. It’s like a party, a lot of people are absolutely delighted. 
😡 😭

Bots, people less intelligent than bots and pricks.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is still a month or so until the last EU commission* of the year which is the last chance for a deal to be ratified. There is still plenty of time for bluff and bluster before then. 

[a pedant writes]

*Plenary session of the European Parliament. 

You're right that it's that actual deadline, but it's also important to remember what has to happen to get to that stage.

The reason that the Council meeting just gone was important is that it was the last opportunity for Barnier's mandate to be changed. And it didn't, so there is no room for the EU side to move very far now.

But for the Parliament to ratify any potential agreement, a draft treaty needs to emerge, go through translation, go through committee stage etc. And none of that is an overnight thing. 

So for a deal to happen, it needs to UK to (broadly) agree to the thing on the table at the  moment. I'm still 51-49 on the side that this is UK theatre before capitulating like Johnson did last Autumn, but there is a long of embarrassing rowing-back that will have to happen from the UK side to get there. And it'll need to happen pretty quickly to get through the necessary parliamentary stages. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

Just before the GE. In better times, this would be enough for another election. He has failed on every front.

December 5, 2019 10:30 pm

Boris Johnson ‘absolutely guarantees’ there won’t be a no-deal Brexit in 2020, vowing to strike quick trade deal with EU

“If you say, ‘Can I absolutely guarantee that we’ll get a deal,’ I think I can and I’ll tell you why – look at what we achieved in three months with the new deal that I did. We did it and it’s a great deal and it will take this country forward and I’m very proud of it.”

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

I have to say, I’ve switched off from most of the Brexit stuff as quite frankly if I read anymore of it, it makes me so angry that we have got to where we are today. The sheer volume of lies upon lies upon lies upon lies that have been told is unreal. 

Its true that there was always going to be a way to make Brexit way (even if it wasn’t what I thought was best), but it was never, ever going to happen with these idiots in charge. All they care about is lining their and their mates pockets. Everything else is irrelevant and we are now about to jump off the face of a cliff edge with no real clue what is going to happen next year. I genuinely hope that it is a complete bluff and Boris et al are not that stupid, but I have very little faith in that.

If/when we get someone half sane in charge, they need to ensure that this type of government can never exist again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Only a fully sane electorate can do that. We’re some way from that sadly.

The Tory model of privatised state education will do little to address this.

People that voted unwisely need to think on the legacy of sustained failure they're leaving to their children.

On 16/10/2020 at 14:56, Davkaus said:

It's not about what's good for the country. It's not even about getting what they wanted, after all, this was all "project fear" and absolutely not what people were told they were voting for.

It's about having invested themselves into "Brexiteer" being a significant part of their personality, and sticking it to those remoaning lefty snowflake cucks. They won. It's a prize not worth winning, but they won, and that seems to be all that matters.

I think this is the thinking for a lot of people when it comes to voting to be honest. Just the impression I get.

SOME people vote Tory because they're going to win and they see it as they are on the winning side.

It's scary really

• Like 1

But I don't understand. They TOLD us a deal would be easy. They TOLD us they need us more than we need them. They TOLD us we could have our cake and eat it. 

Why haven't we got a trade deal? 

Also no special case for the car industry. I wonder how many of those Sunderland Toyota workers will lose their jobs over this? 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Also no special case for the car industry. I wonder how many of those Sunderland Toyota workers will lose their jobs over this? 

The govt are more interested in Finance than Manufacture or Agriculture.

Now watch as AI bites into Finance sector jobs, so even more money goes to even less people.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

Now watch as AI bites into Finance sector jobs, so even more money goes to even less people.

I was thinking more of the fact that Sunderland was the first vote announced on the night of the Brexit vote and for me it always feld like a self destruct choice for the car workers up there. 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was thinking more of the fact that Sunderland was the first vote announced on the night of the Brexit vote and for me it always feld like a self destruct choice for the car workers up there. 

They were confident the continent would always need our Nissan Jukes, and that Nissan Jukes can only possibly be made here.

They were confident we were the world’s key market for BMW’s and BMW would get Angela to get the EU to re write the rules of international trade.

They were confident that Europe couldn’t function without the day to day managerial prowess of the inventor of the Spitfire.

In retrospect, they may have been over confident. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

I'm not sure they give a **** about the finance sector either. London's not going to continue to by the European finance hub when we leave with no deal. 

Â