The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I don't think that is the case, no.

The transition period is something provided for within the treaty (the Withdrawal Agreement). I think there are only a few circumstances that allow for an early termination but that wouldn't annul the entire treaty.

I believe there is only one way out of The Protocol on NI and that is if the MLAs (whether Stormont is sitting or not) decide that they don't want to continue with the current arrangements at one of their periodic votes (every four years or every eight years if the previous vote receives cross community support - this last bit from Wiki so I guess it could be wrong).

Therefore the only way to a hard border is if MLAs decide to vote against the current arrangements (and the UK and EU cannot agree other arrangmenets).

Sorry, yes that is correct for this year under the WA. I was more referencing the time after the WA and no deal was in place

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sorry, yes that is correct for this year under the WA. I was more referencing the time after the WA and no deal was in place

I think the only bearing that the transition period has on the Protocol on NI is when it starts, i.e. as it stands the protocol would come in to place on 1st Jan 2021, if extended 1st Jan 2022/2023 or earlier (in any exceptional circustances).

Unless I'm mistaken, even if there were no trade deal agreed, the Protocol on NI will be in place for a minimum of four (to six) years from the end of the transtion period (four years for the peridioic vote and up to two years extra for a cooling off period if voted against).

Edited by snowychap
changed the bit about ther cooling off period
  • Thanks 1

Now they have :got it done' they have to deliver on what they promised us all would happen .

Its now time for us all , the leave and remain voters to sit back and say to the government , deliver on your promises, there is nothing to celebrate any more , no victory, no winning no debate just deliver or fail us all , leave and remain .

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Now they have :got it done' they have to deliver on what they promised us all would happen .

Its now time for us all , the leave and remain voters to sit back and say to the government , deliver on your promises, there is nothing to celebrate any more , no victory, no winning no debate just deliver or fail us all , leave and remain .

We really need to, they can't deliver what they've promised or what some people think they've promised

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

We really need to, they can't deliver what they've promised or what some people think they've promised

The whole game has changed, we have gone from, 'Get it done' to 'deliver your deal' The game winner, for Boris, Brexit has played out. He now has to deliver, something he has struggled with in the past.

I hope he can get us this great vision he has sold the majority, I really do. Deliver your deal Boris

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

The whole game has changed, we have gone from, 'Get it done' to 'deliver your deal' The game winner, for Boris, Brexit has played out. He now has to deliver, something he has struggled with in the past.

I hope he can get us this great vision he has sold the majority, I really do. Deliver your deal Boris

He can't. it's actually impossible

I’m just hoping it doesn’t all go to crap until December 2022.

If it can hold off that long I should have much more financial independence and a good chunk saved up.

the political climate is still volatile as hell right now. Actively trying to avoid political discussions wherever possible. 

campaigning for the Lib Dem’s and pro Europe sapped the energy out of me. 

But the opposition got their result and can put their plans into place, but you bet your dollar and chlorinated chicken if they don’t achieve it and it goes south I’ll be doing my upmost to make Brexiters own it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Enda said:

The UK now asking for a Canada-style free trade agreement.

Under that deal, foreign companies could sue the UK government for deviating from regulations. Sovereignty, innit.

Also under that deal, Canada eased its visa restrictions on Romanians entering Canada. They had to, or else the Romanians would bring the whole thing down.

Backed to the hilt by MEPs, can you imagine how much the Irish government is going to extract from a Canada-style UK-EU deal? Phil Hogan will have a statue built for him.

Which is why I believe it’ll be scenario b from my above post. No deal at all.

They'll get crucified by their own supporters and the Farages of this world if they even get close to that deal. I don’t think there’s a deal they can do that will satisfy their base.

The No Deal scenario will see the country f***ed as I also don’t think they can sign any significant Trade Deals with countries outside the EU apart from you know ‘merica, which will be such a one sided deal it’ll continue to f*** the country over.

Personally I see the No Deal scenario as the fastest way back in but boy is it going to be a bumpy ride

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

They'll get crucified by their own supporters and the Farages of this world if they even get close to that deal. I don’t think there’s a deal they can do that will satisfy their base.

The No Deal scenario will see the country f***ed as I also don’t think they can sign any significant Trade Deals with countries outside the EU apart from you know ‘merica, which will be such a one sided deal it’ll continue to f*** the country over.

Personally I see the No Deal scenario as the fastest way back in but boy is it going to be a bumpy ride

Thats the thing with conservatives around the world u can never be sure what are they gonna do because their voters so much invested in the idiology they will legitimise anything.They will find a way with some mental gymnastics to legitimise the decision made and then even make themself believe that thats what they wanted from the begining. Ultimately promises doesnt matter values doesnt matter no accountability at all by the voters. (talking about majority simple every day voters)

Yesterday if im not mistaken there was a post in reddit about serious personal reasons why did u vote for brexit for me it was in first page. And answers where awsome amazing. Logical constructive based on reality provable and understandable. And i bet everything i have that 90%+  of those people wouldnt have answer like that 3 years ago. NO WAY IN HELL

They had 3 long years to think about that answer so they could legitimise what they did they just fooling themselves its crazy.

Edited by Tumblerseven

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Scotland and NI will vote to leave the UK now wont they?

Northern Ireland won't have the chance, nor would it be politically palatable to hold such a vote (though the eventual logic of an Irish Sea border is unification, but that is a very long way away).

Scotland may, in time, vote for independence. However, in the near future they will not be authorised to hold a referendum during the lifetime of this Parliament.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Scotland and NI will vote to leave the UK now wont they?

Scotland will have to stew on it because they aren't being a referendum anytime soon.

Northern Ireland is an odd one. It will edge closer to unification but that whole situation is so ingrained with so many grim memories not really yet buried that anything that rocks the cart too much will likely make things worse, which in turn becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. The inevitable Irish Sea border is going to start making Northern Ireland realise it's not as 'British' as many like to think it is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Scotland will have to stew on it because they aren't being a referendum anytime soon.

Northern Ireland is an odd one. It will edge closer to unification but that whole situation is so ingrained with so many grim memories not really yet buried that anything that rocks the cart too much will likely make things worse, which in turn becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. The inevitable Irish Sea border is going to start making Northern Ireland realise it's not as 'British' as many like to think it is.

I think that realisation has already started. DUP losing seats, polls for quite some time had it down as a pro-remain area which given it still has a Protestant majority of popultion is quite telling in itself

8 hours ago, bickster said:

I wouldn’t mind betting a lot of the Brexit supporters are no longer interested in what happens this year, for them Brexit is done and they ‘won’. A lot of them probably still don’t realise the UK is operating under withdrawal agreement this year and are smugly saying ‘See I knew the sky wouldn’t fall in after Brexit!’.

• Like 3

British embassy in berlin posted a 5 minute video on Facebook explaining all my rights etc its actually not that bad, I cant vote anywhere (not a show stopper personally) im not entitled on onward movement (so I cant freely go live in Spain) but the main thing for me was my pension is protected

the surprising thing for me, and I need to check this more to make sure its right and see what im entitled to, is that the benefits system seems to have been kept, im from the UK, live in Germany get paid and pay taxes in Germany, can claim child benefits from the UK...I would have thought that was one of the things that people didn't like or want from the EU, granny in Spain will still get her heating allowance

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Out of interest as a Norwegian that travels frequently to the UK. Will this have changed anything for my travels? 

Not for another 11 months as all the same rules are in place.

From next January, probably, but to what extent will depend on what you are coming to the UK to do.

Edited by ml1dch

Â