The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

In today's world I fear that is impossible.

Fear? I'm confident it's impossible. I am confident that the ruling parties and the media have made it so to keep the status quo forever.

If people were informed, majority of our parliament wouldn't be sitting there after 3 years of this bullshit.

32 minutes ago, Enda said:

Ireland in 1959 was not as well educated as the UK in 2019.

Debatable. 

My suspicion is that both countries in 1959 would be split between those who were (a) well educated and politically engaged, and (b) the less well educated, and probably less engaged, due to lack of confidence or simply apathy. What we didn't have, but now have in spades, is large numbers of poorly educated voters who think they're smart and like to wield their power and shout about it on social media. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Fear? I'm confident it's impossible. I am confident that the ruling parties and the media have made it so to keep the status quo forever.

If people were informed, majority of our parliament wouldn't be sitting there after 3 years of this bullshit.

If people were informed instead of being fed, and too many of us swallowing, a load of bullshit in 2016, then we wouldn't be sitting here in this mess now.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If people were informed, instead of being fed and too many of us swallowing, a load of bullshit in 2016, then we wouldn't be sitting here in this mess now.

And who should "inform" people?

And how do you judge when someone is "informed" on anything? 

I thought Facebook were supposed to be clamping down on fake news being spread around? I still see shite like this doing the rounds, and people believing it.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM FFS

spacer.png

Edited by Genie

Looks like tomorrow hinges on the whether the Programme Motion passes. If it does, then it confirms that the votes are there to get the whole thing through by October 31st.  Nobody will be voting for "do it quickly without bothering to check it" who isn't also thinking "do it". 

If it fails, an extension is likely and a pre-Brexit election.

I'm not finding anything online suggesting which way that vote is going to go. You'd think similar numbers to the Letwin amendment, but then who knows...

Edited by ml1dch

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought Facebook were supposed to be clamping down on fake news being spread around? I still see shite like this doing the rounds, and people believing it.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM FFS

spacer.png

You heard wrong.  If a politician writes the lie themselves they are happy to promote it. In the words of 

Facebook’s elections policy director, Katie Harbath, invoked “Facebook’s fundamental belief in free expression, respect for the democratic process, and belief that, in mature democracies with a free press, political speech is already arguably the most scrutinized speech there is”. She then explained that if a politician shared a link to a viral hoax written by someone else, that post would be rejected as an advertisement, but if the same politician wrote the viral hoax in his own words, that would not only be fine, but Facebook would not allow third-party fact checkers to flag the information as false.

When I asked Facebook whether this new rule would also exempt politicians who promote vaccine misinformation, which is explicitly barred from advertisements, a company spokeswoman said that it would not. If your head is spinning, you are not alone. These rules do not make any sense.

Facebook are cool with lies in politics.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

THIS IS THE PROBLEM FFS

spacer.png

I agree fake news is frustrating but you’d have to be an idiot to believe all of this.

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree fake news is frustrating but you’d have to be an idiot to believe all of this.

You'd have to be an idiot to think any one of those things had anything to do with EU membership, they are all a direct consequence of our own governments policies, sovereignty, what is it good for, huh.... Absolutely nothing...say it again

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

You'd have to be an idiot to think any one of those things had anything to do with EU membership, they are all a direct consequence of our own governments policies, sovereignty, what is it good for, huh.... Absolutely nothing...say it again

It not just fake news, it’s crap fake news.  I’d argue many leavers would find it ridiculous too. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

The government's timetable is designed to frustrate Brexit scrutiny

The government’s proposed timetable for Commons scrutiny of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill (WAB) would be deeply inadequate for any major piece of government legislation. For a constitutional bill which makes probably the most significant changes to the UK’s position in the world that the Commons has been asked to consider for decades, it is extraordinary. The government must know this, but it is asking MPs to agree the timetable or be seen to be thwarting Brexit. 

The government’s proposed timetable sees MPs asked to decide on the principle of whether to legislate (by voting on second reading) today, little more than 12 hours after seeing the bill for the first time. Remember, this is a bill dealing with highly contentious issues including the divorce payment, the transition, Northern Ireland and arrangements for negotiations on the future relationship between the UK and the EU.

Anyone who claims meaningful legislative scrutiny is possible on this timetable is – at best – misguided.

The Commons should not agree to the government’s proposed timetable for scrutiny of its Brexit deal today. It’s hard to believe the government thinks that they will.  

Â