The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Lot of politics has happened today whilst I’ve been out and about. I’ve no idea what’s actually going on. 
Is it a good or bad remainer day so far?

Good. But probably delaying the inevitable. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

You currently have plenty of rights you can exercise to get your opinion heard and possibly change things

I meant specifically for today’s vote because that’s what I was talking about?  You think all those protesting against Brexit today would have made a difference?

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I meant specifically for today’s vote because that’s what I was talking about?  You think all those protesting against Brexit today would have made a difference?

Oh, I suggest if you are being specific you specify your specifity, so as not to lead to such confusion

On that specific subject, did you write to your MP, or even contact him/her via social media or many of the other ways this is possible and attempt to persuade them that your opinion is the one they should have?

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh, I suggest if you are being specific you specify your specifity, so as not to lead to such confusion

On that specific subject, did you write to your MP, or even contact him/her via social media or many of the other ways this is possible and attempt to persuade them that your opinion is the one they should have?

Well if you look back you’ll see my response was to a conversation about what I thought the outcome of today’s vote would be so I didn’t think I’d need to. But I’ll bear that in mind next time. 

As to writing to my MP. No I didn’t because I don’t feel that passionately about it.  But fair point. Did you write to your MP and do you think it made a difference? 

Theresa May: "When we gave the people the choice to leave or stay, did we really mean it? Because, if we didn't, we are guilty of the most egregious con trick in history". 

Hey, well spotted, Treez! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well if you look back you’ll see my response was to a conversation about what I thought the outcome of today’s vote would be so I didn’t think I’d need to. But I’ll bear that in mind next time. 

As to writing to my MP. No I didn’t because I don’t feel that passionately about it.  But fair point. Did you write to your MP and do you think it made a difference? 

My MP is a gimp, I routinely harrass hiim on Twitter about his decisions and what he says, today as he's Catweezle's bitch, he was voting the way I think he should have anyway

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

My MP is a gimp, I routinely harrass hiim on Twitter about his decisions and what he says, today as he's Catweezle's bitch, he was voting the way I think he should have anyway

Talking of MPs i had a lady knock on my door this morning to say vote Tory in November. The funny thing was she had an Indian guy with her (he was a apparently a representative) just standing there. That was the gesture to try get my vote 😂  She made sure to introduce him to me.

Anyway great result for Villa today :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Talking of MPs i had a lady knock on my door this morning to say vote Tory in November. The funny thing was she had an Indian guy with her (he was a apparently a representative) just standing there. That was the gesture to try get my vote 😂  She made sure to introduce him to me.

I'd have asked them what date the election was in November. An election in November at this juncture is nigh on impossible. Start of December maybe but after that it'll be next year

Some voxpop on the news saying: "Parliament are no longer serving the public, they're following their own agenda(s)". 

The underlying suggestion is: "they think they know better than us". 

To which I would say: "I should bloody well hope they do - that's their job". 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The underlying suggestion is: "they think they know better than us". 

To which I would say: "I should bloody well hope they do - that's their job". 

And then you look at this:

10024399.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=resp

And start to sympathise a bit more with the voxpopper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'd have asked them what date the election was in November. An election in November at this juncture is nigh on impossible. Start of December maybe but after that it'll be next year

I wasn’t interested to be honest mate and just said they had my vote.

I’ve never voted for a local election in my life and it’s labour that has won for the whole of that time.  She definitely said November though. 

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

BBC still describing the march numbers as merely 'thousands'. 

They did then refer to a million ( being claimed by organisers) and showed quite a lot of arial footage 

Edited by tonyh29
Spelling

Unless I'm missing something, surely he has an easy way out? 

If they offer an alternative delay, he either has to accept it or if he doesn't then Parliament can vote to accept it instead?

So he asks them to offer a one week extension instead of three months, solely to get the legislation through, they offer that, he accepts. Benn Act satisfied, Parliament has no say on the matter and the road is ended.

On 18/10/2019 at 12:47, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe. I suppose for myself personally as someone that voted to leave. I wouldn’t bother voting a second time.

I voted to remain. If there was a 2nd referendum I wouldn't vote again. The behaviour of all parties in this process has switched me off from ever taking an interest in politics again. 

• Like 1

Â