The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not so sure about that. I think a lot of previously apathetic non-voters on both sides have been politicised by the post-ref shitstorm. 

On the leave side, it seems to have gone: 

2015: "EU? Don't ever think about it, tbh". 

2016: "£350M we could be spending on the NHS? That gets my vote". 

2017: "Apparently, this Remain lot are the enemies of The People, they're a bunch of gay immigrant-loving Marxists". 

2018: "But we voted for it, and now these remoaner MPs are trying to stop it". 

2019: "I don't know why, and I don't care, but nothing will ever change my mind now". 

Maybe. I suppose for myself personally as someone that voted to leave. I wouldn’t bother voting a second time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Are the grown ups in here going to make a prediction, or wait till after the result and say it was obvious it was going to happen 😉 

Chris Grayling to accidentally  go through  the wrong lobby and the vote to fail by one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not so sure about that. I think a lot of previously apathetic non-voters on both sides have been politicised by the post-ref shitstorm. 

On the leave side, it seems to have gone: 

2015: "EU? Don't ever think about it, tbh". 

2016: "£350M we could be spending on the NHS? That gets my vote". 

2017: "Apparently, this Remain lot are the enemies of The People, they're a bunch of gay immigrant-loving Marxists". 

2018: "But we voted for it, and now these remoaner MPs are trying to stop it". 

2019: "I don't know why, and I don't care, but nothing will ever change my mind now". 

i think a lot less leave voters will change their vote than remain. on the remain side i think you'll have a decent number change their vote to leave for fear of being labelled anti-democrats, whereas the only leave voters that i can see really changing are those that are pissed off about being lied to about things like the £350m

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think a lot less leave voters will change their vote than remain. on the remain side i think you'll have a decent number change their vote to leave for fear of being labelled anti-democrats, whereas the only leave voters that i can see really changing are those that are pissed off about being lied to about things like the £350m

The ONS confirmed  it was £363m , be a bit pedantic to be pissed off over a mere £13m  :D

13 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Per my reply above to Snowy. One of those "this is shit, but if the people have voted for shit then who am I to stand in their way" types, particularly as he's standing down and doesn't have to argue with his members or voters about it.

It's not confirmed that he's voting that way by the way. just that he's making noises in favour of it.

This spreadsheet comes from a closed account on Twitter who is as reliable as anyone essentially guessing and frantically following public statements is likely to be:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13ghQytueisTWtO12HXvCSyRV_LnPGlDJob8rJWLVKe8/edit#gid=0

He's updating it all the time, but so far he has No winning by one, with Lamb voting No 🙄

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Whatever happens, these last few weeks have made me accelerate my thinking for polish citizenship to get it sorted before the end of 2020. 

I don't see why you wouldn't. If you can get a eu passport why wouldn't you? For me I am trying to get a cyprus one through my parents as I would rather have a eu passport if I could.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This spreadsheet comes from a closed account on Twitter who is as reliable as anyone essentially guessing and frantically following public statements is likely to be:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13ghQytueisTWtO12HXvCSyRV_LnPGlDJob8rJWLVKe8/edit#gid=0

He's updating it all the time, but so far he has No winning by one, with Lamb voting No 🙄

He has it 320 Yes to 319 No ,  doesn't  he ?

If you round it up/down  the 11 non votes make it that Yes wins on 49% of the vote  ... presumably a win is a win and it doesn't  matter in parliamentary terms  that less than half back it

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Whatever happens, these last few weeks have made me accelerate my thinking for polish citizenship to get it sorted before the end of 2020. 

As marriage proposals go, i'm sure  there have been more romantic ones 

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If you round it up/down  the 11 non votes make it that Yes wins on 49% of the vote  ... presumably a win is a win and it doesn't  matter in parliamentary terms  that less than half back it

As I say, he's updating it all the time. I can't immediately see where, but someone has been switched from a 'no' to a 'yes'. More generally speaking, there seems to be more belief that this will creep through now than there was yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The amendments are going to make it interesting.  If the Letwin one passes (and you'd think that it would, given it will have the support of all those voting no and a few who are voting yes), then there is a whole different dynamic.

There are undoubtedly MPs who will only vote for an amended version of the deal, and I reckon that there are probably  some who would only vote for an unamended version. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

You strike Grieve off that list for starters, he was ont radio before saying as much.He'll only vote for it if there's a referendum attached

You mean Grieve that is referred to as excluded from likely to vote Yes on that Tweet  you are quoting ;)

Just from the Guardian, Labour are going to back the Letwin amendment which should be enough to get it passed. 

That will mean Johnson has to ask for the extension tomorrow regardless and so takes away some of the importance of tomorrow’s vote on the deal. 

It may then lead to the election everyone has been expecting. 

EU SELF EMPLOYED WORKERS: RIGHTS UNDER THREAT FROM ‘UNLAWFUL’ REGULATIONS

Regulations that could strip EU workers of the right to be self-employed in the UK are up for debate in the House of Commons on Monday as legal charity Public Law Project warns that Government plans to make use of controversial Henry VIII powers may be unlawful.

If approved by Parliament, the draft Freedom of Establishment and Free Movement of Services (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 will allow Ministers to remove the rights of EU, EEA, Swiss and Turkish nationals to own and manage companies or to provide services in the UK on the same basis as UK nationals.

The Public Law Project has warned that there are four key concerns with the Government’s approach to making this change.

• Secondary, rather than primary, legislation is being used to make significant policy changes and to disapply important rights
  • The changes appear to impact on immigration rights and so ought to be included in the Immigration and Social Security Coordination (EU Withdrawal) Bill (‘the Immigration Bill’)
  • They go beyond the powers conferred on Ministers by the Henry VIII power in section 8 of the Withdrawal Act, and
  • There has been no impact assessmentbefore laying the Regulations despite the obvious impact on businesses and individuals

... more on link

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Good luck to you mate.  Out of interest doesn’t the populist right wing government put you off becoming a citizen though? Genuine question as all I see in the news is how they are a threat to the EU. Don’t really know much about it though.

Â