The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'll be honest I had no idea you could move from country to country without a passport. Every day is a school day. 

Really? I remember the first time I needed one being a big moment because it meant going to a different continent. 

3 minutes ago, AXD said:

Really? I remember the first time I needed one being a big moment because it meant going to a different continent. 

You on about ID cards or passports? 

I get my post brexit German resident ID card next month 

The other weird thing is that when you fly from say Germany to Poland you land and walk straight out the front door, no need for passport control or anything like that, no one checks a thing 

When I flew to the UK last week there was a surprising number of people still using ID cards to get in, I thought that had already stopped

8 minutes ago, AXD said:

Passports

I was on about ID cards :D I've had a passport since I was a kid and been all over the world! 

I didn't realise you could move around Europe on an ID card.

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was on about ID cards :D I've had a passport since I was a kid and been all over the world! 

I didn't realise you could move around Europe on an ID card.

That’s what I meant, I (a Belgian) thought  it was strange to need a passport when I was young because you could travel all around europe with just an ID Card, so wasn’t used to anything else.

I genuinely had no idea about this entering countries with ID cards.  I just verified it with my German friend and he’s annoyed that he has to use his passport for his November visit.

Why were UK citizens not afforded this before we became non-EU heathens? 

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I genuinely had no idea about this entering countries with ID cards.  I just verified it with my German friend and he’s annoyed that he has to use his passport for his November visit.

Why were UK citizens not afforded this before we became non-EU heathens? 

Because we don't have ID cards.

• Like 1

Any European who wanted to leave the EU will have required a passport to do so. Seems silly to me to get an ID card when a passport is so much more useful.

Still, it seems like a lot of people only travel within Europe and I guess an ID card is smaller and more convenient for them? 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Any European who wanted to leave the EU will have required a passport to do so. Seems silly to me to get an ID card when a passport is so much more useful.

ID cards are obligatory. It's not an either / or, it's "should I bother spending money on another document which I might not need or use".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

ID cards are obligatory. It's not an either / or, it's "should I bother spending money on another document which I might not need or use".

That's not true of every country, at least not here in Sweden anyway. I don't know the rules for every EU country though so you're probably correct.  

Edit: I had a bit of a look and there are a few countries in the EU that require an ID card (even if you have a passport). It seems like Greece, Poland, Croatia, Czech and Slovakia do. 

List of national identity card policies by country - Wikipedia

Edited by LondonLax

If it happens in small enough steps people might not notice.

Britain seeks views on plugging back into European power market

Sept 30 (Reuters) - Britain began a consultation on Thursday on how to realign its electricity market more closely to Europe and improve cross-border trading after Brexit decoupled it from a common system, leading to discrepancies in market prices.

Interconnecting cables increase the ability of Britain's electricity market to trade with others, enhance energy system flexibility and aid decarbonisation, the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) said.

Link

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That's not true of every country, at least not here in Sweden anyway. I don't know the rules for every EU country though so you're probably correct.  

I've just checked - probably about a third compulsory, a third "some sort of photo ID" and a third with no requirements to have anything. 

But that last one still includes countries like France, where the rule is basically "you don't have to have ID, but if you don't then you're coming down the gendarmerie for the day so we can identify you that way". 

25 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I've just checked - probably about a third compulsory, a third "some sort of photo ID" and a third with no requirements to have anything. 

But that last one still includes countries like France, where the rule is basically "you don't have to have ID, but if you don't then you're coming down the gendarmerie for the day so we can identify you that way". 

Yeah but most people would use their driving license as ID, like you would in the U.K.  It’s not very common to require a specific national ID card above all other forms of ID. 

• Like 1

What problem is this new passport requirement solving?

I hear Patel say that IDs are insecure, but I'd prefer to see some evidence of this given that it seems to be working for most of Europe and has done so for many years.

The downside seems obvious that it will compound the problems we are already having getting people we want into the country. From tourists to workers we are putting up another barrier. The upside is we are preventing what exactly?

I don't know why I bother wasting my energy analysing this sort of decision. Anything that refers back to keeping the promises of Brexit has to be bs as all the promises were lies. The new policy is almost certainly performative jingoism with little or no actual reason applied to it, but I did wonder if they even tried to cover themselves with any fig leaf of analysis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

I hear Patel say that IDs are insecure, but I'd prefer to see some evidence of this given that it seems to be working for most of Europe and has done so for many years.

The downside seems obvious that it will compound the problems we are already having getting people we want into the country. From tourists to workers we are putting up another barrier. The upside is we are preventing what exactly?

I don't know why I bother wasting my energy analysing this sort of decision. Anything that refers back to keeping the promises of Brexit has to be bs as all the promises were lies. The new policy is almost certainly performative jingoism with little or no actual reason applied to it, but I did wonder if they even tried to cover themselves with any fig leaf of analysis.

It makes sense if you put some Tory glasses on and see that the problem is all things foreign.

A lot of things they’ve done make sense if the end goal is to throw up as many barriers making it as difficult as possible to get here and utterly hostile if you do manage to.

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

Lots of people voted for Brexit and then the Conservatives because they wanted to 'get control of the borders'. The Conservatives had an explicit policy of trying to reduce net migration to 100,000 per year when we were in the EU; they have since dropped the target and we have left, but they don't want lots of European migrants. This is a step that will make it harder and less likely for Europeans to come to Britain for short stays, and that's the goal.

244202631_10158998759729300_6671912601240356783_n.jpg.f349c503692ec30dc45606fbe03d028a.jpg
So there's some minor teething problems.

It's only just begun.

The stench of Farage and Co's treachery was overpowering before the referendum, and it's got far worse since.

Surely the Brexit voters that thought they were doing the best for the country should be starting to turn on their leaders now? Or you going to wait the 50 years Piece of Shit-Mogg said it would take for a positive return?   :crylaugh:Not smelling the con yet, really? 

What a gift you've left for the kids.

Better trying to right a wrong than looking like a mug, a gobshite or a racist, I'd have thought? 

Going to get over your shame and do the right thing? Because the continued silence increases the probability of a full on US style healthcare system, and much of the UK population being pushed down into an underclass.

There are now more foodbanks in the UK than McDonalds.

• Like 2

Â