The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 hours ago, Genie said:

German supplier this morning.

”hahaha, did you guys have enough petrol to get to work today?”

Ask him what colour his passport is ;) 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I thought Boris was going to personally write this? Not interested Baroness of something or other.

Can we also reflect on what a wonderful job title that is. Minister for Roads, buses and...places. But not foreign places, that falls under the foreign office. And not security of local places, that's the home office. No hospitals, clinics, or GPs offices (that's health), no museums, music venues or sports stadiums (that's culture). No environments, that's a whole thing. And obviously not jobs, infrastructure or justice within any remaining places. Minister for unspecified things in a restricted list of places. Exclusions apply.

Nothing wrong with that job title

Xela 

Senior Manager - Things and Stuff. 

• Like 1

Just now, fruitvilla said:

You are confusing economics with science here.

No. It’s anti science to think we can mono culture and get rid of all the wildlife.

Obviously long term its also bad for economics as the planet will need to purge us. But it’s some pretty stupid science as a kick off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

No. It’s anti science to think we can mono culture and get rid of all the wildlife.

No ...  you are mistaking science for something other than a description.

Also science does not resort to rhetoric like you have done (though I agree some scientists may)

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

Also science does not resort to rhetoric like you have done (though I agree some scientists may)

I genuinely have no idea what this means.

But I have just returned from drinking in town (Picolino)

One of the first things they’ve done with CRISPR is to edit the genes of a cereal crop so it is resistant to dosing with herbicide. Each household in the UK throws away £700 of food per year. Then there is the waste from the food shops, then there is the rejected crop. Millions upon millions of tons of food wasted every year in the UK alone.

Crops resistant to weedkiller were not, in my ‘umble opinion, the priority here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Enda said:

Not true. My mate Shane only threw away 500 quids worth last year.

To be fair to Chrisp ... I think the number likely includes stuff that is past the best buy date or goes mouldy in the stores. So this should be added to your mate Shane's extravagant life style. Having said that, what's this got to do with science beats me.

Now of course there are economically predatory practices around herbicide resistant crops. And the thought having herbicides sprayed on crops is off putting, but that's a different issue.

9 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

We’re way off the topic of Brexit, other than the tories eagerness to lower environmental standards post Brexit, but the science part comes from long term study and analysis of herbicide use with GM crops. The picture is complex, but for example

…measured the overall environmental impact of the changes in chemical use that have resulted from the adoption of genetically modified crops, using a measure called the environmental impact quotient, or EIQ, to account for chemicals’ impact on farmworkers, consumers and the environment. Comparing adopters to non-adopters, they found little change in the impact on farmworkers and consumers. However, the adoption of genetically modified soybeans correlated with a negative impact on the environment as increased herbicide use also increased contamination of local ecosystems.

Overall, Ciliberto said he was surprised by the extent to which herbicide use had increased and concerned about the potential environmental impact.

“I did not expect to see such a strong pattern,” he said

University of Virginia

If it was about science? The internal combustion engine would have been put to bed decades ago, and maybe we wouldn't be needing to think about GM crops to survive as the climate warps?

Money trumps science in too many cases. Money's run by psychopaths.

It's science with an angle.

Science with lobbyists, patenting life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

The guy who fitted my bathroom last Xmas (before the mental price increases) told me he made £67k up to December.

He was the cheapest option by far as well.

It's good work to be in atm.

A chippy mate of mine is charging £200 per fire door install, and he's won a contract to do thousands of them up in Merseyside.  He works alone and said he was told the next price given to the council was £250 per door.

He's a happy lad at the moment too.  He can get about 7 fire doors done a day and works most weekends now :lol: 

Yes, sorry for bringing politics into this but I think a lot of trades people are doing very well out of Brexit and reduction of competition for their services.

It all feeds into the spiralling inflation but on a local level they are quids in. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, sorry for bringing politics into this but I think a lot of trades people are doing very well out of Brexit and reduction of competition for their services.

It all feeds into the spiralling inflation but on a local level they are quids in. 

No, no need to apologise - I was as amazed as you.

I bet I pay more tax than them as well, despite not earning as much! :lol: 

No wonder the working man wanted Brexit! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think a lot of trades people are doing very well out of Brexit and reduction of competition for their services.

Sort of related, and it could have gone in either thread, but a couple of things have really stuck with me the past week or so

First the HGV driver shortage and the rising wages and stuff for them in the UK. And the freight trade associations yelling out for more forins to  come over 'ere and do driving. I mean they've kept wages low for years on the back of "competition" for work and have benefitted from that, and now the shoe is on the other foot and they want to kind of return to being able to "exploit" Ukrainian or wherever drivers.

The second one even more so - all these Pig farmers saying that the lack of butchers, CO2 and drivers is creating an animal welfare issue because they'll have to kill their pigs -  I mean they were going to kill their pigs anyway  - "these pigs will all be killed for a loss, when they could have been killed for profit" is the real argument. It's got sod all to do with animal welfare.

• Like 3

Government asks German residents to drive lorries even if they never have before

Exclusive: German driving licences issued before 1999 include entitlement to drive a small to medium-sized truck of up to 7.5 tonnes

The government has asked thousands of Germans residing in the UK to drive lorries to assist with the HGV shortage, even if they have never driven one before.

Germans based in the UK were sent a letter by the Department for Transport, signed by transport minister Baroness Vere, asking them to “consider returning” to the HGV driving sector...

Indie

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Coming over here, with your science. Why can't we develop our own science, proper British science, with inches and florins and stuff?

It's time we ditched this foreign "so-called-science". Brexit means brexit.

Brience

• Like 1

Â