The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I know McDonald’s aren’t everyone’s favourite place, but their supply chain is crumbling.

McDonald’s restaurants in the UK are unable to serve milkshakes after the burger chain was hit with supply chain issues. 

The fast food giant has also run out of bottled drinks at some 1,250 locations in Britain. 

A McDonald’s spokesman said staff are “working hard to return these items to the menu as soon as possible”.

A spokesman told The Independent: “Like most retailers, we are currently experiencing some supply chain issues, impacting the availability of a small number of products. Bottled drinks and milkshakes are temporarily unavailable in restaurants across England, Scotland and Wales.

It is latest company to be hit by supply issues thought to be caused by a shortage of lorry drivers due to new EU immigration rules and Covid restrictions. 

Last week, Nandos was forced to close about 50 restaurants because of chicken shortages. 

Lobby groups for the retail and transport industries have written to Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng with a stark warning about Britain’s lorry driver shortage and the knock on effect to supply chains.

They want a review of plans not to grant temporary work visas to drivers from the EU.

Link

Every day there’s a bunch of stories about big organisations running out of products, but never anything from the government to say they are working on a solution. Do they all collectively have their fingers in their ears? Industry is screaming at them to do something and still nothing.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I know McDonald’s aren’t everyone’s favourite place, but their supply chain is crumbling.

Link

Every day there’s a bunch of stories about big organisations running out of products, but never anything from the government to say they are working on a solution. Do they all collectively have their fingers in their ears? Industry is screaming at them to do something and still nothing.

They were working on a solution yesterday, using prisoners to do the work

Work will set you free!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

caused by a shortage of lorry drivers due to new EU immigration rules

No, just no. There is nothing new about any rules. That shitty bit of journalism (from the pro-remain Standard even) makes it sound like his is something new, it isn't. 

Bloody illegals not honouring the referendum result.

More than 800 migrants crossed the English Channel to the UK on Saturday - setting a new record for crossings in a single day. 

The Home Office said nearly 200 people making the trip were also stopped by the French authorities.

Nearly 12,500 people have made the journey so far this year. 

BBC

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Link

There a few McDonalds near me and they didn't have any chicken apart from nuggets for about 2 months. They must be outbidding Nando's as they seemed to sort out their supply around the time Nando's started having problems.

Drove past Yesterday and there was another sign outside listing missing products.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

That was pretty much nationwide, it was such a shortage they actually took selects etc off the menu

I've noticed similar things happening in supermarkets, instead of the usual out of stock labels going on the shelves, they're expecting some things to be gone for so long they've just removed its space on the shelf entirely. 

A reasonably trivial example, but I was trying to buy dishwasher rinse aid yesterday, and in the massive Tesco and Morrisons, they've just taken its space off the shelves, both the branded ones and their own, because they can't get any, it's been gone for weeks apparently. The fruit and veg aisles have been looking a bit barren for weeks as well.

• Like 1

How are the government getting away with this? 
Neither the public or the media seem to be pressuring them.

Boris personally told people to vote Brexit because it would be better than it was.

Best case a few things are the same.

Middle case, things are worse but they are coping for now.

Worst case entire industries on the brink of collapse.

He makes me laugh though. Bless him, another baby on the way. That’s cute.

• Like 1

I popped into the Tesco superstore in Liverpool city centre 2 weeks ago to grab some bacon that I was planning to illegally smuggle into Poland and was shocked at seeing the amount of empty shelves (and no bacon) with my own eyes, despite having heard the reports. Luckily Sainos did have some bacon and I did successfully import it.

Despite the fact that it’s personally detrimental - I love a maccies milkshake for example and for the past two weeks I’ve been unable to get my microwave cottage pie from sainsburys for lunch - I actually think it’s hilarious to imagine all the inbred morons who voted leave getting irate over being unable to buy all the shit they’d grown so used to being able to buy freely.

I seem to recall a number of leave voters on here, I wonder what their thoughts are now? 

People need to see the bigger picture and keep their eyes on the prize.

Yes, there are short term inconveniences like a lack of food in the shops. Yes, the illegal immigration still appears to be a problem. Ok, ok, they’ve re introduced phone roaming charges.

But long term, look at the positives, we won world war 2.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The best one is “at least we’re not being ruled by Brussels now”

I mean, have you seen the state of our leaders? Even if it were true, anyone is preferable to this lot. How is it a benefit to be going it alone? Mental.

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know, maybe I just live a charmed life or something, but I haven't really seen any evidence of these shortages yet.

I’ve seen loads. 
Tesco, Spar, Morrison’s. On holiday the on-site chip shop was closed for 2 separate days in 1 week because they had no chips.

The bar had no white wine at all, no Pepsi (or coke). 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know, maybe I just live a charmed life or something, but I haven't really seen any evidence of these shortages yet.

I currently have two decent sized building projects on hold for lack of building materials. Another project, we are receiving small quants of materials on a day by day basis, we see what arrives and work out the work schedule depending on what we’ve got.

The recycling pick ups here are disrupted as the council’s HGV crews have all buggered off for more money elsewhere. That might not sound like a big deal to you,. But there’s an 86 year old relative in this town with access to a phone and she knows my number. Every 15 minute delay on those green bags being picked up, is another urgent telephone update.

• Haha 1

Â