The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

I seriously doubt many taxi drivers have the App. No-one's paying them to self-isolate

Yes, and taxi driving is very very far from the only industry in which it makes no financial sense at all to have the app. 

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, and taxi driving is very very far from the only industry in which it makes no financial sense at all to have the app. 

Agreed, I only pointed out taxis as it falls within my experience

• Like 1

Assuming things settle down in a couple of years, is there going to be some truck drivers on permanent contracts earning £73,000+ and then new hires on what, £30-£40k? That’ll be interesting for those companies.

The current drivers at these places offering mega wages will be going on strike soon no doubt. 

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Assuming things settle down in a couple of years, is there going to be some truck drivers on permanent contracts earning £73,000+ and then new hires on what, £30-£40k? That’ll be interesting for those companies.

The drivers at these places offering mega wages will be going on strike soon no doubt. 

Driving a vehicle is currently a skill to have

There is one driver at our firm whose metered fares per week are £2k+ every week. Thats GPs wage territory. Sure he's doing long hours but he's absolutely cleaning up

I come out in the evening for a couple of hours, 3 at most, never go home with less than £60. The other Saturday, I did 7 hours and took over £270 in that time and every Sat I'm averaging around £40 an hour

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Agreed, I only pointed out taxis as it falls within my experience

Yes sorry wasn't meant as a criticism. It's an extreme irritation to me that in all the chat about who is and isn't 'responsible', whether you can or should go to the beach/cinema/nightclub/have seven friends for dinner, the fact that huge chunks of the workforce basically can't stop working even if they have good reason to think they may be infected is very conveniently forgotten. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can see a truck / tanker driver strike on the horizon. All the ingredients are there. 

Not really, the employers will agree the wage demands in the main and just pass them on to the customer

Strikes tend to happen when employers want to be more competitive and can afford to say stuff it we'll just hire some more. There are no more to be hired

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The current drivers at these places offering mega wages will be going on strike soon no doubt. 

Employers get 2 years where they can basically just sack you. 

So if the situation improves for employers within 2 years, they’ll just sack all those £73,000 drivers and advertise for the new lower going rate.

Of course the other option, is if lorry drivers wages are quite good and it looks like it could last a few years, they’ll get replaced by autonomous vehicles with some minimum wage packing and unpacking staff at either end of the journey.

Fill your boots whilst you can boys. Don’t feel guilt that a working class job sometimes pays like a made up middle class job.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I can see a truck / tanker driver strike on the horizon. All the ingredients are there. 

I have dealings with a number of large hauliers in the UK. Their drivers are earning between 25%-40% more than 12 months ago. They're in demand so they have to pay to keep them. 

Its not a job i'd do, but for the people doing it now, its happy days at the moment! 

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Could go in a few places but I think I will struggle to find a better 3 minutes. 

Why isn’t he the leader of the Labour Party? I don’t think Starmer would have stuck it to Boris quite like that.

• Like 1

The footage of a former failed Labour leader ripping the PM to shreds while he can do nothing but sulk and scowl from the bench ought to have been enough to finish Johnson. The man is a **** joke.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The footage of a former failed Labour leader ripping the PM to shreds while he can do nothing but sulk and scowl from the bench ought to have been enough to finish Johnson. The man is a **** joke.

Con + a billion

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Con + a billion

Poor Boris, he’s doing his best and the other politicians are being nasty to him. He looked so sad. I’ll vote for him twice next time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Why isn’t he the leader of the Labour Party? I don’t think Starmer would have stuck it to Boris quite like that.

There was once a photograph of him looking a bit funny whilst holding a bacon sandwich.

Imagine how bad the pandemic would have been if HE was in charge?!

• Haha 1

Â