The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

On 02/04/2021 at 23:17, Mozzavfc said:

Can't wait to see the new series of escape to the sun, where a bunch of ex-pats find out that they have to move from the Costa del Sol to Scunthorpe

Escape from the Sun

If you’re wealthy enough it’s probably a form of entertainment take the mental option just to see what would happen. 
I’m sure Dyson and his nearest and dearest will be able to comfortably ride out any bumps in the road.

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

The man who campaigned for Brexit and abandonned the UK way before any deal was done?

and the other guy (who’s name escapes me) who campaigned for Brexit then ditched his plans for a car factory in Wales in favour of the EU. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

and the other guy (who’s name escapes me) who campaigned for Brexit then ditched his plans for a car factory in Wales in favour of the EU. 

‘Sir’ Jim Ratcliffe, the owner of Ineos. Was going to build their revision of the Land Rover Defender in Bridgend.

Got £6,000,000 in government funding.

Campaigned for Brexit.

Then did a deal with Mercedes to buy their site in France and moved production there.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

‘Sir’ Jim Ratcliffe, the owner of Ineos. Was going to build their revision of the Land Rover Defender in Bridgend.

Got £6,000,000 in government funding.

Campaigned for Brexit.

Then did a deal with Mercedes to buy their site in France and moved production there.

That whole thing is going to be a flop anyway. 

The build a Landrover type vehicle ship has long sailed. 

Just now, sidcow said:

You would have thought its only chance was a niche retro market based around it being an old british classic (I know the twist in that story).

But hey, I’m sure he knows far more about business than I do.

I’m sure he’ll be fine, personally.

The 600 people in Bridgend he promised jobs, not so much.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Building a ship based on a Landrover sounds like a flawed idea in the first place to be honest.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Building a ship based on a Landrover sounds like a flawed idea in the first place to be honest.

If it needs to sail in more than 900mm of water it’s gonna be a problem.

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You would have thought its only chance was a niche retro market based around it being an old british classic (I know the twist in that story).

But hey, I’m sure he knows far more about business than I do.

I’m sure he’ll be fine, personally.

The 600 people in Bridgend he promised jobs, not so much.

It's going to be extremely niche.  Especially as Land Rover have just launched a new Defender.   OK it may not be a true workhorse in the truest sense like the old Defender, but it's still going to be very off-road capable and available for modular bespoke purposes.

His vehicle is also going to be more expensive than the new Defender by the looks of it.

So you are essentially trying to attract that niche Land Rover Defender clientele away from the Land Rover Defender.  And for mass sales they're never going to dislodge the Japanese.  I give it a few years before its clear he can't sell enough.

...........Unless it can double as a ship as well.

Edited by sidcow

Oh, and apparently Britain's biggest Bank HSBC have just moved every top management position out of the UK and into Shanghai. 

London has already lost it's crown as Europe's top financial centre. 

So it's not just Fishing and Manufacturing who have been shafted by Brexit, Financial Services are also fading.  Before anyone celebrates with the who cares about the rich bankers, **** them, this is where the UK actually earns most of it's income.  Financial Services taking a huge hit is no good for anyone. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh, and apparently Britain's biggest Bank HSBC have just moved every top management position out of the UK and into Shanghai. 

London has already lost it's crown as Europe's top financial centre. 

So it's not just Fishing and Manufacturing who have been shafted by Brexit, Financial Services are also fading.  Before anyone celebrates with the who cares about the rich bankers, **** them, this is where the UK actually earns most of it's income.  Financial Services taking a huge hit is no good for anyone. 

The ‘oh shiiiiit’ moment for me, was when the head of Barclays said we’d be fine as London was too big to fail.

We can all have a little schadenfreuder smirk at some dickhead fisherman, but the rapid decline of services with no time to recalibrate the economy could be the real game changer. We’re about to see just how sentimental and loyal international money is.

• Like 1

Going all the way back to that story and expats being booted out of spain

It made reference to not applying for the residency permit

So if thats right not only did they vote to leave whilst living in europe they then didn't bother applying to stay - assuming that they're the same as in Germany which is that if you were already here before Dec 31st 2020 you qualify to stay - but I have to apply for a permit (which I have) 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So if thats right not only did they vote to leave whilst living in europe they then didn't bother applying to stay - assuming that they're the same as in Germany which is that if you were already here before Dec 31st 2020 you qualify to stay - but I have to apply for a permit (which I have) 

With Spain, the problem for these people is that they have to prove they are recieving £2000 per month into their banks to qualify for residency. Being as lots of them have been working cash in hand for years, they can't plus the Spanish have been particularly slow in processing the claims for residency

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My read on it was that they were going to get booted out after 90 days as they can now only stay 90 days in every 180. It that's the case maybe a lot of them wouldn't have qualified for residency anyway as presumably they habitually moved between a place in Spain and the UK too. 

Well they got what they voted for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

With Spain, the problem for these people is that they have to prove they are recieving £2000 per month into their banks to qualify for residency. Being as lots of them have been working cash in hand for years, they can't plus the Spanish have been particularly slow in processing the claims for residency

I'm a teacher in Madrid and this was definitely not the case for me. The actual financial number I saw was more like €750 and that amount was always a condition of freedom of movement within the EU. Countries never enforced it though and the Brexiters who were bullshitting (in contrast to the Brexiters who believed the bullshit) conveniently omitted mentioning that in the referendum.

Edit: in Madrid at least I didn't have to prove anything about my financial situation. Not that I was aware of anyway. They probably had access to some details though. 

Edited by Rolta

Â