The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's not what Farage and Boris said. 

I was just trying to be a bit positive in my post 😀

Its not all about silly little men and what they think or said.

This is real for the UK and EU,  it will never affect either of them in reality (Farage and Boris). 

To the EU,   hat's off to them as they keep on coming to the talks,  in the Covid ere they could have easily ****ed it off and said no deal.

Imagine if they get a deal,  combined with the vaccine it could be a real shot in the arm that we all need  😆

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

To the EU,   hat's off to them as they keep on coming to the talks,  in the Covid ere they could have easily ****ed it off and said no deal.

I have been really surprised by this, not only are they open to talks, they’re coming to London to have them. Obviously it’s not desperation but a strong willingness to find common ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I have been really surprised by this, not only are they open to talks, they’re coming to London to have them. Obviously it’s not desperation but a strong willingness to find common ground.

Optics, innit.

Doesn't really cost them anything. No point anyone (inside or outside) thinking that they were the ones that caused the talks to fail. 

Or rather, no point giving additional ammunition to people who want to think that.

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Optics, innit.

Doesn't really cost them anything. No point anyone (inside or outside) thinking that they were the ones that caused the talks to fail. 

Or rather, no point giving additional ammunition to people who want to think that.

I guess it could be interpreted that way.

Given how long it’s taken, and the pandemic i don’t think anyone would blame the EU for walking away at this stage if they genuinely weren’t interested in what we were saying.

The 2 parties must be fairly close otherwise it wouldn’t be happening anymore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

The 2 parties must be fairly close otherwise it wouldn’t be happening anymore.

Sure, things are 96% agreed with only 4% left to sort out.

Problem is that it's the same 96% that was agreed right at the start, and the same 4% that has been causing the problems ever since.

And it ends when France accepts that its fishermen are going to get comparatively screwed, and the UK accepts that there will be a governance structure which will allow retaliatory measures if they decide to stray too far from the status quo.

And neither seem all that keen to budge on those points. 

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Sure, things are 96% agreed with only 4% left to sort out.

Problem is that it's the same 96% that was agreed right at the start, and the same 4% that has been causing the problems ever since.

That’s the problem.

I mean, we apparently have about an 82% match with the DNA of a zebra fish.

But you try persuading one to accept tariff free entry to the international securities and derivatives markets.

13 minutes ago, Enda said:

HMG’s concern about fishing over all else is such a glaring strategic error. Like a football chairman obsessed about ticket sales and ignoring the TV rights.

It's more like a football chairman obsessing over selling programmes.

Fishing is well under 1% of our GDP. I dug out the exact numbers a few dozen pages back. Fishing is worth about as much to the UK economy as Wilko. But at this point, we've decided to shit the bed, and we're really scrabbling to find reasons to sleep in it. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Enda said:

HMG’s concern about fishing over all else is such a glaring strategic error. Like a football chairman obsessed about ticket sales and ignoring the TV rights.

‘State Aid‘ is the real sticking point. The UK wants to be able to provide aid to companies by giving them deregulated conditions to work under. The EU is concerned that this will undermine their regulations and give UK companies a competitive advantage. 

It sounds like both sides are no closer to an agreement on how this can be resolved.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thats' a long ferry journey!

It’s a long old run, be interesting to time it against Fishguard, through to customs, then on to Felixstowe.

Edited by chrisp65

Â