The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

All that is left to do is wait. 

Tories have ruined themselves by pursuing No Deal on the back of COVID mess ups. 

Once both of those bite in to a huge recession and see other countries riding upwards after the crisis, it will end up with the tories being lost for another generation at least. 

Brexit is still a beacon because it hasn't actually happened fully yet. Brexiters still waving the flag, until trade barriers bite their companies and see them lose huge amounts of money due to Brexit directly they will continue to wave that flag. 

Farmers have already seen that pinch with seasonal workers. unfortunately the NHS has seen issues as well. 

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better that's for sure. 

It's perfectly clear that the only reason that the UK Gov is calling no deal 'Australia style deal' is because it makes people think of white people and english speakers so it must be OK

• Like 3

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

It's perfectly clear that the only reason that the UK Gov is calling no deal 'Australia style deal' is because it makes people think of white people and english speakers so it must be OK

100% correct. I think everyone needs to start calling this an "Ethiopia deal" and see how many are in favour...Brexit had nothing to do with racism though 😉.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

100% correct. I think everyone needs to start calling this an "Ethiopia deal" and see how many are in favour...Brexit had nothing to do with racism though 😉.

Ethiopia are covered by the EU's "Everything But Arms" initiative which means that all of their exports to the EU are tariff-free and quota-free, apart from weapons. 

It's miles ahead of what the UK's arrangements will be. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Ethiopia are covered by the EU's "Everything But Arms" initiative which means that all of their exports to the EU are tariff-free and quota-free, apart from weapons. 

It's miles ahead of what the UK's arrangements will be. 

Then maybe they'll call it a "Sub-Ethiopia deal"

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Then maybe they'll call it a "Sub-Ethiopia deal"

A Saudi Arabia deal is broadly accurate I believe if you want a new label. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

‘Afghanistan deal’ would be accurate apparently. 

Nope, also covered by the EBA initiative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

Have the EU caved in yet? 

A little bit, yeah.

They've agreed this afternoon to draft a joint legal text. Which they hadn't before, and is a pretty big precursor to an agreement being reached.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

A little bit, yeah.

They've agreed this afternoon to draft a joint legal text. Which they hadn't before, and is a pretty big precursor to an agreement being reached.

Wow, I’m a bit out of touch as travelling today and was trying to be funny. Could be the start of something (the text, not me being funny...)

44 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

A little bit, yeah.

Em, I’m not sure this is a climb down.

The Council - the heads of government of the EU members - gives orders to Barnier. The other day the Council said Barnier could continue talking to the UK if the UK moves on state aid and fisheries.

So Barnier’s comment that negotiations will be “based on legal texts” is likely a criticism that the Internal Market Bill is incompatible with what the UK has already signed up to, not some massive climb down.

Â