The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Labour called a meeting of all the opposition leaders a couple of days ago.

According to Plaid Cymru, he 'did a May', wouldn't entertain talking through options, just wanted all opposition parties to fall in line and back his version of Brexit.

This.

Is.

Awful.

With the EU and UK government both insisting they won’t build a border for customs checks between NI & I, is there any risk of a border appearing? I’m assuming neither the EU or UK will want to pay for, or be seen constructing, a physical border, so who and by what method would the trade be checked?

Just now, brommy said:

With the EU and UK government both insisting they won’t build a border for customs checks between NI & I, is there any risk of a border appearing? I’m assuming neither the EU or UK will want to pay for, or be seen constructing, a physical border, so who and by what method would the trade be checked?

There will be a threshold of tax revenue and basic taking of the piss that they are happy to not notice.

Once van drivers start setting up booze markets on the one side and ciggie markets on the other, the border will reappear.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

To be fair to Catweazle, You have to draw the line somewhere - sharing a room with Hamas or the IRA is one thing, but Chuka Umunna is clearly much worse..

The massive hypocrite numpty, "consensus politics, sometimes talking to people you don't agree with.." and all that pure lies for an excuse. He's unbelievably bad. p.s. May is as useless too.

Your evident loathing of Corbyn is obscuring your vision.

The meeting was going nowhere, as those attending have said.  Having Chucky there was wrong on terms of procedure - they are not a party, just a caucus, so why not have eg the ERG, who are obviously much more important in tems of numbers, but invite Caroline Lucas, who commands only one vote?  It's either a meeting of party leaders, or it's not.  The reason for inviting him was probably to engineer a problem (politicians do this kind of thing).

If there is a meeting in the near future which discusses real options and where it is necessary to construct a majority against May, I think you will find neither Corbyn nor anyone else will refuse to speak to Chucky and his pals.  That's just politics, not the kind of silly buggers this meeting appears to have been.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There will be a threshold of tax revenue and basic taking of the piss that they are happy to not notice.

Once van drivers start setting up booze markets on the one side and ciggie markets on the other, the border will reappear.

Built and paid for by?

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

the side hurting the most with the politicians most threatened with losing power

With both sides committed to not building a border, it could be never before one side breaks their commitment and takes all the blame.

Just now, brommy said:

With both sides committed to not building a border, it could be never before one side breaks their commitment and takes all the blame.

let's turn the question around

If there's a market for 'x' one side of the border that is losing the other side jobs and revenue and votes, will they:

1. just accept it?

2. deploy black ops ninja cross border tax troops?

3. start guarding the border?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brommy said:

Not quite.

Ireland, as part of the EU, will enforce a border if the UK/NI departs from EU customs rules. That's accepted as a reality, we don't care about the cost it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things to hire a few hundred customs agents. The thing is we will not agree to a preferential deal (i.e. non-WTO) with you that will require a border.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dick said:

She has lost it. We have somebody in charge who thinks, and tries to, act like a dictator. 

Didn't we have an offer on here recently from @chrisp65 or someone to be a benevolent dictator? 

Sounds reasonable.

Â