The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Nothing to deny  , you're confusing my dislike of labour as endorsement of another party ...  but from your post count  you're obviously a man with plenty of spare time  :)  , read through the Tory thread and find posts where i praise the Tory's or the leaders or anything  ..let me know how you get on 

Related to that it always amuses me   , you can go in the bolitics threads and see posts from the ABT people with "I'm not a labour supporter  ..but" and nobody bats an eyelid , even when it turns out these non labour supporters then voted , errm labour because well there wasn't really any choice but i didn't really want to   .. yet someone whose actually voted Lib Dem as many times as they've voted Tory is somehow a card carrying dyed in the wool Tory

I think it's more to do with your views than explicitly stating you support the Conservatives.

I've probably missed something, but it seems to me like when someone is really pushing you to criticise Boris (or his government) you go to great lengths to avoid doing it apart from saying you don't support everything they do. This might be because of your Brexit position and being wary of undermining it, but I struggle to believe anyone who doesn't loudly denounce (not just ignore) Boris' tricks to try and get his way with no deal can be anything but a Conservative.

I'd like to think a 'considered' Leave voter would at least rally against this as they'd be concerned for the long term constitutional precedents, whereas your average Conservative voter wouldn't give a toss.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think it's more to do with your views than explicitly stating you support the Conservatives.

I've probably missed something, but it seems to me like when someone is really pushing you to criticise Boris (or his government) you go to great lengths to avoid doing it apart from saying you don't support everything they do. This might be because of your Brexit position and being wary of undermining it, but I struggle to believe anyone who doesn't loudly denounce (not just ignore) Boris' tricks to try and get his way with no deal can be anything but a Conservative.

I'd like to think a 'considered' Leave voter would at least rally against this as they'd be concerned for the long term constitutional precedents, whereas your average Conservative voter wouldn't give a toss.

Problem is when I post stuff that doesn't fit the perceived profile it tends to get ignored ,  i accept my posting style plays a part in that, people find it hard to differentiate between me being serious , irreverent  or flippant or all of the above :)  ... thus the perception may be somewhat different from the reality  ... prior to VT i had zero interest in politics  , however , it promotes the livelier discussions on this forum and i learn more from it than I do in  the "how do you wipe your arse thread"  so its encouraged me to engage  and play more attention , even if it hasn't actually got me out to vote in a GE

I posted my Brexit position some time ago .. I'm not in favour of no deal and if article 50 was revoked I wouldn't be taking to the streets or advocating murdering an MP as some posters think could happen .

I think there's a lot of "kneejerk" sometimes about every view posted on twitter  , My position tend to be wait and see rather than getting outraged over something that might happen or offer an alternative viewpoint on it for everyone to ignore :) 

Things like chlorinated chicken I don't see what's taking the government line about pointing out the EU's actions being more about protectionism than it is about safety  ( see Brazilian and Mexican chicken for example) .

I criticised May quite a lot and not just her dancing  , Boris I haven't directly criticised yet but that shouldn't necessarily be taken as an endorsement ... He wants an endgame and to some extent I agree with him , at the risk of a " lets get it over with " jibe  , it needs to be resolved  , it's been 3 years of nothingness ...  could he have gone about it in a  better way , almost certainly , though , to coin an old VT favourite phrase i do also think there is an element of  " opposition for opposition’s sake "  as well in the actions of some

We kept getting told that the EU held all the cards during negotiating with May , though the backstop to include all the Uk was quite a huge concession  , maybe on the back of this Boris / his advisors genuinely believes the no deal threat is his strongest bargaining position and the EU will give a bit more  ... project unicorn if you like

on your last point , i didn't think VT acknowledged such a thing as a "considered leave voter" :)

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Quora

Brexit could do with reading this.

Not disagreeing with the article, but when the first sentence smells of unfounded personal bias rather than balanced opinion, it is clear to see it is unlikely to convince any brexiteers;

I voted Remain because I see multinational economic and political cooperation as an attractive alternative to international conflict. 

I'd go as far a 'economic uncertainty' or 'Unprecedented international relations limbo' but why would Brexit automatically result in 'international conflict'? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Oh not this again.  This is a serious matter, it's neither the time nor the plaice.

I'm not sure - given the past couple of pages, we clearly need to change the tuna on Brexit and just get it done.

Â