The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

not sure why this question has never occurred to me before

Brexit was yes or no every voted counted, 17.4m vs whatever it was

the MPs voting is obviously slightly different though thanks to the varying sizes of constituencies 

if every one of the 650 MPs voted in line with the will of their constituency how would a house of parliament Brexit vote look?

Define "leave"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm surprised Jo Johnson seems to be getting a collective pat on the back.

He was put in an awkward position of the country vs his brother, and he choose to abandon his role rather than grow a pair and oppose his brother. He's stuck the knife in as a parting shot, but it seems like absolute cowardice to resign rather than oppose. 

Not sure I follow that. His resignation is his opposition surely? Yes he could have voted against like the 21/22 but he was still in the cabinet at the time, he would have had to either resign beforehand or be sacked as a result. In his specific unique case, maybe his opposition has more effect by him timing it now?

Not that I care much, anything that puts this government in bad light is welcomed by me

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the MPs voting is obviously slightly different though thanks to the varying sizes of constituencies 

if every one of the 650 MPs voted in line with the will of their constituency how would a house of parliament Brexit vote look?

im interested if the argument that MPs "aren't voting for the will of the people" is actually skewed and because the vote was so close if voting for the will of their constituents actually tips it in favour of remain 

Wikipedia

The EU referendum vote was not counted by parliamentary constituencies except in Northern Ireland. However, a number of local councils and districts have released the referendum results by electoral ward or constituency. Moreover, several constituency boundaries are coterminous with their local government district. For constituencies elsewhere, Dr Chris Hanretty, a Reader in Politics at the University of East Anglia, estimated through a demographic model the 'Leave' and 'Remain' votes in each constituency.[14] Hanretty urges caution in the interpretation of the data as the estimates have a margin of error.

Party Remain Leave Remain % Leave %
  Conservative Party 80 247 26% 74%
  Labour Party 84 148 36% 64%
  SNP 55 1 98.21% 1.76%
  Liberal Democrats 6 2 75% 25%
  DUP 2 6 25% 75%
  Sinn Féin 4 0 100% 0%
  Plaid Cymru 2 1 67% 33%
  Social Democratic and Labour Party 3 0 100% 0%
  Independent 1 1 50% 50%
  Ulster Unionist Party 1 1 50% 50%
  Green Party 1 0 100% 0%
  Speaker 1 0 100% 0%
  Total 242 406 37% 63%

Though as it states, there is a caution with interpretation due to margins of error. I don't know how the figures relate to the current parliament though, but certainly shows SNP, Lib Dems & Greens are acting in their constituents interests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

No new vote on May's deal happens this side of November 1st.

I bet it does (unless there's an election). Post or pre the mid October EU summit - Johnson could come back, and say "this (the DWA, plus whatever froth tweaks are garnished around it) is what's available. Vote on it, to leave the EU by the 31st October, like we promised."

56 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m still a bit confused about this amendment. 

It’s not referring to May’s agreement exactly but the revised version that she started discussing with Labour before she was brought down and which never went to a vote. It has provisions for a potential customs union and room for a second referendum included. 

I’m also a bit confused about whit compels the government to do. On first look it seems it requires a vote after the extension has been granted but some assessments I’ve seen seem to say it doesn’t require a vote at all and instead just requires the PM to tell the EU the extension is because of a vote on this agreement, not that the vote actually has to happen. 

What I was thinking, (as a lay-idiot) is that it gives Johnsona get out along the following lines - because Parliament passed this amendment to the bill telling him to ask for an extension, and that the amendment requires parliament to hold a debate and vote on May's agreement (as might be amended by MPs - for example to include staying in the CU, or whatever) "I, Boris Johnson bring forward this debate and vote to today, nth October so that parliament/I the PM can say to my EU colleagues "this is what we want, this passed a parliamentary vote, so it will go through if you give it to me, now" and then the EU will do some words about Political agreement will yes, indeeed cater for most of those desires, and Johnson's got his get out of jail card there.

I'm a numpty, though, so I could be completely barking up the wrong tree.

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

because Parliament passed this amendment to the bill telling him to ask for an extension,

Something he has said "under no circumstances would he ask for" 

but I'm sure we've heard politicians say similair stuff before

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anyone shorting the pound?

no but I am saving up money in my german bank account ready to transfer across post Brexit to pay off some of my English bills that I still have

I still pay roughly £800 a month for my car, phone, Netflix etc so i'll do ok from it (I say ok, it balances out from tax and cost of living here being shit, I get paid more and take home less)

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

no but I am saving up money in my german bank account ready to transfer across post Brexit to pay off some of my English bills that I still have

I still pay roughly £800 a month for my car, phone, Netflix etc so i'll do ok from it (I say ok, it balances out from tax and cost of living here being shit, I get paid more and take home less)

Completely OT but you have opted out of the religious tax? (7 or 8% iirc)

47 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Government "Surrenders" to the "Surrender Bill" 😂

Hmm. It shows what a sham they are when the obvious reaction isn't "good", but "what underhand deviousness do they have planned next?"

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Hmm. It shows what a sham they are when the obvious reaction isn't "good", but "what underhand deviousness do they have planned next?"

They are devious and completely untrustworthy but what we've seen over the last few days doesn't look like they're in control. There were reports the other day of Corbyn being confronted by a drunk Dominic Cummings, wine glass in hand, goading him to go for an election.

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Trying not to go to far off topic but how does this work? You think Euro will be stronger than the pound?

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

im interested if the argument that MPs "aren't voting for the will of the people" is actually skewed and because the vote was so close if voting for the will of their constituents actually tips it in favour of remain 

I mentioned it a while back, there is too much focus really on the total number of votes & 52/48 split. Now sure it is the total figure but it doesn't really tell the whole story.

There is more info & charts from others replying to you but there were 399 "counting areas" for the referendum. This means there is some crossover with multiple constituencies in some areas. Some constituencies revealed their totals some didn't and there has been an awful lot of work done in determining the likely numbers for the ones that didn't.

off the 399 counting areas 270 were leave, 129 remain (Pretty much he whole of scotland voted remain, this accounted for 30 or so of the remain areas)

Translated into constituencies it worked out at Leave 406 - Remain 242 allowing for a small margin of error. This means that Over 62% of constituencies voted leave.

Looking at labour alone 148 of their 232 constituencies voted leave

If mps were voting as per the wishes of their constituents we would/should have left months ago and there shouldn't really have been anything anyone could have done about it as you would need a swing of 84 mps deciding to innore the result and go against their constituents to even tie any vote. Having said that there are an awful lot more than that completely ignoring the result now and doing whatever they think is right for  ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶s̶e̶l̶v̶e̶s̶  the country

fHIjsuK.jpg

Big heavily populated cities can also skew the overall totals slightly, or at least the perception of them. Everyone seems to agree that London is fairly remain centric but there were also 1.51 million leave votes in the london area alone. The whole of Scotland may have voted remain but they managed this with only 1.66 million remain votes.

Break things down to geographical regions of the UK and you get :

East - Leave

East Midlands - Leave

London - Remain

North East - Leave

North West - Leave

Northern ireland - Remain

Scotland - Remain

South East - Leave

South West - Leave

Wales - Leave

West Midlands - Leave

Yorkshire & The Humber - Leave

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Completely OT but you have opted out of the religious tax? (7 or 8% iirc)

yes

I think my state is a fixed 25 euro per month

my missus also opted out of it last year and her family were not happy, her 1 sister in law was properly pissed at her

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Trying not to go to far off topic but how does this work? You think Euro will be stronger than the pound?

yes

maybe not completely swung the other way but when I moved here the pound was at 1.15, 2 weeks ago when I transferred money I got it at 1.08, its currently recovered slightly to 1.11

come the first week of November I'll be looking to transfer maybe 3k of 4k over so depending on how low it goes (the 25% is scaremongering) I could be maybe £250-500 better off by waiting

its not massive amount of money but its good enough, trying to save enough to get a "free" month out of it, so I can either save more or have it drop enough to get £800 betterment on the exchange rate

• Like 1

Â