The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

10 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Johnson would be absolutely crazy to kick those 21 out of his party. He would potentially lose control of parliament completely. An election would happen sooner rather than later, but in the meantime parliament could do all sorts. I guess it will anyway. 

He's also kicking out some really high profile figures, that will really upset some of their colleagues and party stalwarts. By doing so he is simply underlining his lack of authority. Because MPs will rebel in weak governments. So if Boris doesn't win himself a really solid majority, which he doesn't look like doing. The what is he going to do? Expel anyone that votes against the government? 

Also, what sort of right minded person would want their country run by such despotic, bully boy tactics? 

I dunno, what a mess. 

I think that's the problem with going the ukip route. After it's done they have little appeal

Not really sure an election will even help clear anything up. forget the actual leave/remain total votes and break it down into the counting areas/constituencies and it worked out somewhere around 400+leave to 240+remain (taken on the counting area splits of 270 leave & 129 remain & allowing for crossovers of constituencies) that is potentially an awful lot of seats for CON/BREXIT.  The estimated figures for how constituencies voted by the two main parties makes things even harder to predict as the split was LAB Leave 148 / Remain 84 : CON Leave 247 & Remain 80.

Brexit will take plenty of votes from the conservatives and may potentially be a viable option to some of those traditional labour seats that voted in large numbers to leave.

Lib dems could/will take plenty of seats from anywhere that voted remain

Going into another election it seems that there are two main parties who will both potentially do worse than the have previously and two half parties who will more than likely do much better than they do usually. Just seems even more likely that we will end up with yet another coalition of some sort with a tiny majority and the whole thing will just drag on for ever until the climate crisis burns us all to death or drowns us in plastic riddled water

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Again I'd have thought another referendum is a safer bet than an election.  

I think a GE would possibly be leave v remain, I have a feeling labour would go remain if Tories run for leave.

That way we get all cards on the table and it's an election and a referendum.

7 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Tantrums at the ready...

EDkmO3FXkAAikVQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Our "so called" democracy on its knees, the anti democratic MPs won't just roll over and let Boris shut down parliament and do what he likes. Shameful. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Or parliament voted differently to how the editor of the express would have ....and thats just not democracy is it  

Any publication that feels it necessary to have an English cross/shield wielding Knight for a logo and "we're backing Britain" on the front page tells you all about the kind of clientele they cater to. 

On 28/08/2019 at 22:21, peterms said:

I still don't understand why Johnson has been so casual about pissing off whole sections of his own party, starting with his ministerial selections, then prompting (still) influential figures like Major and Heseltine to speak so publically and so critically against him, and now it seems losing people like Gyimah and Davidson.

This will do long term damage which will be hard to repair.  That's a good thing, but I don't see why he has chosen to do it.  It seems like a big political mistake at the most elementary level.

On 28/08/2019 at 22:35, tonyh29 said:

You should email  his numerous strategists and political advisors and tell them  :)

I suspect my email would now be lost among a torrent of others, don't you think?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

These Brexit shitbags are truly the next coming of something very bad indeed.

I think it is exactly that which will push the rest into action - technically Labour, Lib Dems, SNP and Plaid can gather more numbers than Tories + DUP - I would not be at all surprised to see a vote of no confidence in Johnson, a unity government come in (England, Wales and Scotland parties) and a referendum called, well before any election. And there's f*ck all Johnson can do about it.

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think it is exactly that which will push the rest into action - technically Labour, Lib Dems, SNP and Plaid can gather more numbers than Tories + DUP - I would not be at all surprised to see a vote of no confidence in Johnson, a unity government come in (England, Wales and Scotland parties) and a referendum called, well before any election. And there's f*ck all Johnson can do about it.

Corbyn wants an election over another referendum. He's done all he can to prevent a second referendum becoming his parties policy.

I'd keep Johnson in place and pass all the legislation you can to make him have to go and extend immediately, shattering his half baked promises and exposing him as a charlatan he is. Only then once he's been forced by law to break every promise would I agree to a referendum.

Â