The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

We have over 130 trade deals globally negotiated through our membership of the EU. These deals took decades to put in place. After we leave , we will have I think 3. The EU just concluded the largest trade deal in history with Japan . The Japanese have already confirmed that that trade deal will not be available to us if we leave. Still......there’s always the orange moron over the pond to turn to. This whole thing is utterly insane. Some people posting don’t even seem to realise that no laws passed by the E U can be enacted without the full approval of every one of the 27 member countries. That’s right folks, we can veto laws if we don’t like them. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This.

We don't pay into the EU altruistically. We're doing it get a return. We aren't doing it out of the goodness of our hearts.

Which is why looking at the direct cost to return directly from the EU is **** stupid.

I've found the best way to look at it as.

"I sell a lot of widgets in the UK. There could be a big market for my widgets in Elbonia. If I put some money into the transport and communications infrastructure in Elbonia I might sell a million widgets there rather than a hundred. This is good for everybody"

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

EDEGi3LX4AANDAh?format=jpg&name=large

Only 51% of Leave voters, and 27% overall think it's acceptable.

Depending on the force of that feeling, that's probably not good electorally for Johnson et al.

They'll all fall into line when they are at the polls.

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

EDEGi3LX4AANDAh?format=jpg&name=large

Only 51% of Leave voters, and 27% overall think it's acceptable.

Depending on the force of that feeling, that's probably not good electorally for Johnson et al.

9% of Lib Dem voters think it's acceptable? Which wing of that party are they on? :o

Not quite sure about how much of this is accurate or even possible (it's quite likley a lot of Cummings brainstorming but...):

Number 10 is considering disrupting a “time bomb” Northern Ireland debate, creating new bank holidays, filibustering Parliament and the prime minister refusing to resign if he loses a vote of no confidence

BuzzFeed News has learned that in the last few days Johnson’s senior team — led by his chief of staff Dominic Cummings and director of legislative affairs Nikki da Costa — has explored a number of increasingly controversial proposals they could deploy depending on the success of rebel attempts to thwart Brexit. The ideas under consideration include:

• Attempting to disrupt a Commons debate on Northern Ireland power-sharing due on September 9, a day which could be used by rebels to attempt to delay Brexit described by Johnson allies as a “time bomb” set for them in the final weeks of Theresa May’s premiership.

• Whether Johnson would be breaking the law by ignoring any successful rebel legislation, or by refusing to resign in the event he lost a vote of no confidence.

• Using a variety of mechanisms including a potential budget to create new Commons debates and further reduce time for rebels to act.

• Using the prorogation of Parliament to “kill the bill” by rebel MPs and force them to table it again after the Queen’s Speech on October 14.

• Creating new bank holidays to prevent the House of Commons from being recalled during the prorogation period.

• Filibustering any bill by rebel MPs attempting to force Johnson to delay Brexit when it reaches the House of Lords.

• Ennobling new pro-Brexit peers as a last resort to kill any such bill in the Lords.

• What the consequences would be of Johnson advising the Queen not to give royal assent to any legislation passed by Parliament delaying Brexit.

The measures were devised by the prime minister’s senior aides who have spent the summer in their Downing Street bunker wargaming how to respond to potential parliamentary manoeuvres by MPs determined to block no-deal. The rebels, by contrast, spent the August holidays debating whether they would back Ken Clarke as a potential caretaker prime minister in an unlikely government of national unity.

... full article available on link

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Mugs game this

It has been clear for some time that for the ERG, nothing except No Deal would be acceptable. There is no actual constituency in the British public for 'a deal, but firmer red lines than May's'. 

Â