The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

54 minutes ago, Awol said:

Recent history of prorogation:

2016 - 15th Sept to 10th Oct

2017 - 14th Sept to 9th Oct

2018 - 13th Sept to 9th Oct

Parliament was not prorogued on those dates, it was in recess.

History of recess dates (from Parliament website) :

House rises

House returns

Summer 20 July 2017 5 September 2017
Conference 14 September 2017 9 October 2017
November 7 November 2017 13 November 2017
Christmas 21 December 2017 8 January 2018
February 8 February 2018 20 February 2018
Easter 29 March 2018 16 April 2018
May 3 May 2018 8 May 2018
Whitsun 24 May 2018 4 June 2018
Summer 24 July 2018 4 September 2018
Conference 13 September 2018 9 October 2018
November 6 November 2018 12 November 2018
Christmas 20 December 2018 7 January 2019
Easter 11 April 2019 23 April 2019
May 2 May 2019 7 May 2019
Whitsun 23 May 2019

4 June 2019

Current recess: 25 July 2019 to 3 Sept 2019.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

We’ll do a trade deal at some point, if it’s not negotiated immediately then so what? 

May lay down like a dog & was happy to let the EU walk all over this country. Once we are out the imperative of blocking Brexit dissolves, then we’ll have an election and the voters will decide what happens next. 

It’s ace. 

It. Has. Been. Negotiated. For YEARS.

We weren't just given the terms by the EU and that was taken to Parliament to be voted on.

No Deal means No Deal in the future either. 

1 minute ago, peterms said:

As has been discussed at length, what people thought was meant by "leave" varies quite a bit, and the proposal was not to leave on the terms and in the way now thought likely.

Even three or four weeks ago, the prospect of no-deal was stated by the current PM as being "a million to one".  Now it is evidently what he is going for.

This course of events can in no sensible way be described as a decision delegated to the people.

People will perform whatever mental gymnastics they choose to justify the outcome/position they prefer. 

What matters (to me) is we now, for the first time, have an executive determined to deliver on 2016. They may not succeed but I’m pretty chuffed someone is having a go. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

What matters (to me) is we now, for the first time, have an executive determined to deliver on 2016. They may not succeed but I’m pretty chuffed someone is having a go. 

To what ends?

You're chuffed because you're winning. That's it. You couldn't give a shit about the country.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

It. Has. Been. Negotiated. For YEARS.

We weren't just given the terms by the EU and that was taken to Parliament to be voted on.

No Deal means No Deal in the future either. 

You don’t need the fullstops, Stefan. I can read. The EU Withdrawal Treaty was negotiated by people who didn’t actually want to leave, hence the outcome being so bad it was defeated 3 times by historic margins. That’s not a deal, it’s a failed attempt to negotiate something acceptable to both sides. 

You may believe no deal now means no deal ever. I disagree. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

To what ends?

You're chuffed because you're winning. That's it. You couldn't give a shit about the country.

We disagree about a course of action. Few people on this board care about this country more than I do. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Awol said:

You don’t need the fullstops, Stefan. I can read. The EU Withdrawal Treaty was negotiated by people who didn’t actually want to leave, hence the outcome being so bad it was defeated 3 times by historic margins. That’s not a deal, it’s a failed attempt to negotiate something acceptable to both sides. 

You may believe no deal now means no deal ever. I disagree. 

David Davis? Dominic Raab?

People who didn't want to leave?

Interesting how you think something has to be acceptable to both sides, yet support No Deal which there is objectively no mandate for, either in the populace, or Parliament.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

David Davis? Dominic Raab?

People who didn't want to leave?

Interesting how you think something has to be acceptable to both sides, yet support No Deal which there is objectively no mandate for, either in the populace, or Parliament.

You’re aware that the actual negotiation was conducted out of the Cabinet Office, not the Department for Exiting the European Union, right? Maybe you’re not. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

You’re aware that the actual negotiation was conducted out of the Cabinet Office, not the Department for Exiting the European Union, right? Maybe you’re not. 

So what you're effectively saying is that the Pro-Leave Brexit secretaries weren't involved in anything to do with Brexit? 

Verging on conspiracy theories here.

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

We disagree about a course of action. Few people on this board care about this country more than I do. 

Ah, the path to Hell...

That's precisely what allowed you to be exploited.

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

Has it not sunk in, Patriot?

You've been played like a balalaika.

I’ve wanted to leave the EU since the Lisbon Treaty and debated it endlessly on here long before Brexit was a thing. It’s a shame people like you can’t accept others have reasoned themselves into holding the opposite view to you without being duped. 

Still, at least you only called me stupid, not a fascist. That’s progress. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Awol said:

I’ve wanted to leave the EU since the Lisbon Treaty and debated it endlessly on here long before Brexit was a thing.

So it's stubborn ideology over realism?

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ah, the path to Hell...

That's precisely what allowed you to be exploited.

Please see my previous reply to you. I haven’t been exploited by anyone, but thanks for your concern. 

Anyway, there’s a bit too much friendly discussion round here for my taste. Back to the books for a while.. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Still, at least you only called me stupid, not a fascist. That’s progress. 

You've been mugged off.

Clever people get mugged off too, but they get wise to it.

That ball's in your court now.

Â