The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Ian Holloway blaming VAR and the new handball rules on the EU and hoping that we get on with Brexit so that people can stop telling us how to play our game.

The **** idiot.

Sure, this is funny, but there are millions of idiots out there who refuse to believe scientists and researchers, but who will now believe this and use it as a reason to leave the EU. We are ****. The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

They are not in the greatest position either becasue of Brexit & it's not even their fault.  Could it be worse for Ireland than anyone purely on geographical location ?

If it all goes wrong how does Ireland get good in/out ? I don't understand,  a border or no border does not seem to work in any circumstance.

They're pretty buggered, at least initially.

The "loss" of the UK land bridge which they use to export to rEU will make exporting harder, slower and more expensive and carrying out the necessary checks won't be popular around the border area (even though the Irish government is unlikely to be blamed by the majority of those inconvenienced - it's somebody else's mess after all)

But there is probably a crisitunity (h/t Simpsons) there as well. 

One has been talked about for a while, that if international companies want an english speaking base in a European time zone which isn't a currently having a nervous breakdown then Ireland is the obvious choice.

I think the bigger one in the short-term though is that they have the Commission over a barrel to a certain extent. If the EU way of standards and regulation is going to become the prevalent global way of doing things then they need to win this skirmish. 

So if Ireland is going to be the field on which it plays out, expect Ireland to "need" an enormous amount of EU structural funds to support the long-term aims of the Single Market. 

• Thanks 1

Something that hasn't received enough coverage in the ongoing talk about the Irish border / backstop is the potential for a return to real, genuine terrorism in the UK.

All the ISIS bollocks in the media is largely fear-mongering, certainly compared to what the IRA and the UVF have got up to in the past.

This is worth 20 minutes of your day.

It is just fascinating how wilfully thick people can be and not give a shit. Not even not care, but go on TV and flaunt it.

You simply can’t legislate for someone with all that money and all that time and a lifetime in the industry that still manages to think the hand ball rule in football has been forced on us by the EU and will revert back to what the queen wants on 1st November.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It is just fascinating how wilfully thick people can be and not give a shit. Not even not care, but go on TV and flaunt it.

You simply can’t legislate for someone with all that money and all that time and a lifetime in the industry that still manages to think the hand ball rule in football has been forced on us by the EU and will revert back to what the queen wants on 1st November.

Holloway has doubled down on the stupidity with his denial.

Ian Holloway has sought to clarify his controversial comments linking the introduction of the new handball rule to English football to the United Kingdom's impending exit from the European Union, stating that he is "not that stupid" to believe one is responsible for the other...

“People don’t listen," he told the Mirror. "What I’ve said, and I can say it very clearly, is I’m sick and fed up of being told what to do by people who aren’t running our country.

“FIFA and UEFA have brought these rules in, they told us we’ve got to use VAR that I’ve got no problem with, but that handball rule that they’ve made up, I don’t want to listen to them. That’s nonsensical.

“It’s just in the same way that I’m sick and fed up of us in the UK being told what to do by the EU.

“Brexit is nothing to do with the football rules, is it? I’m not that stupid, so I suggest people wash their ears out and listen.

“What I’m saying is, as an English person, I’m sick and fed up of being told what we’ve got to do. Our country is fantastic. If you let us make our own rules up, do what we want to do, we’ll be in control of it a lot better.

“I don’t like UEFA and I don’t like FIFA telling us what we should do in our English football game. We should take control of our own game, then that wouldn’t have happened...

Holloway went on to claim that he feels Brexit should be a springboard for English football to have autonomy to dictate its own rules away from FIFA and UEFA.

“As for Brexit, that’s totally different," he added. "All I’m saying is I’m sick and fed up of our Prime Minister and other parties arguing over something we (Leave voters) all voted for and we all want them to produce for us, whether it’s a no deal or not. That’s what I’m sick and fed up with.

“Let’s get out and stop the EU dictating to us what we can do. I feel exactly the same with UEFA and FIFA over our football - I think the English FA should have more power and we should believe in ourselves, and I believe the EFL should have more power rather than the Premier League telling them what to do.

“People who listen, I would suggest they actually listen to all of it and stop going off on a tangent.

“I know exactly what I meant and what I said. I’m sick and fed up, like a lot of people in this country, of being told what to do by people outside our country. In politics, and in football, particularly with UEFA and FIFA changing the rules.”

It was all a metaphor you see...

Amphetamor more like

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Wasn’t even forced upon us by UEFA or FIFA. It was the Premier League who voted and agreed on it. Thick as mince 

VAR was, yeah.  Guy's a muppet.

The actual Laws of the Game are written and agreed upon by IFAB (the International Football Association Board) which has 8 representative nations, 4 from FIFA alongside the 4 home nations.

So not only was the handball Law not forced on us from abroad, it was actually 50% agreed to by the UK.

Twunt.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The EU will need to implement a hard border in NI and break the Good Friday agreement. 

The whole thing is a giant game of chicken

Yes, that's my reading.

Johnson is saying we will not impose a hard border, knowing that the EU will require one in the event of a hard Brexit.  It seems no more than a juvenile attempt to shift the blame for the inevitable consequences of his actions.

The impact on Ireland and NI is potentially very serious, and he seems quite prepared to accept that.

• Like 1

Merkel: Backstop alternative 'possible within 30 days'

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has suggested an alternative to the Irish border backstop - a key Brexit sticking point - could be found within 30 days.

Speaking at a news conference alongside Prime Minister Boris Johnson in Berlin, she stressed it would be up to the UK to offer a workable plan. 

The PM said he was "more than happy" with that "blistering timetable".

He accepted the "onus" was on the UK, but said he believed there was "ample scope" for a new deal to be reached. 

funny movie waiting GIF by hero0fwar

I should add, if it can be found in 30 days, what on earth have they been doing to date?!

Edited by cyrusr
Added context

Absolutely no idea how anything who works or has worked in the football industry could vote to leave. 

Its dependent on the freedom of movement of people. Lower league clubs wont be able to get permits for any foreign players if EU players are treated the same as non EU are now. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Absolutely no idea how anything who works or has worked in the football industry could vote to leave.

He's made his millions and doesn't give a shit now.

And he's braindead, so likely won't have considered the tricky stuff like that.  He's helping the fishermen and the NHS.

Â