The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

If the government loses its majority overnght, what are the chances of a VONC due to the lack of majority?

One of Johnson's clearings in the woods would go and set the fire alarm off.

Him and his cabinet are like Draco Malfoy and his half-wit mates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

If the government loses its majority overnght, what are the chances of a VONC due to the lack of majority?

When? The House needs to be sitting, so I can't see how it would happen before September 3rd. 

After that? Maybe. But depending on who you believe, Labour's internal polling suggests they're not all that desperate to have go fight an election right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

When? The House needs to be sitting, so I can't see how it would happen before September 3rd. 

After that? Maybe. But depending on who you believe, Labour's internal polling suggests they're not all that desperate to have go fight an election right now. 

No No, they're ready St Jezza said so, he's been saying it since he lost the last one, repeatedly

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-orders-brexit-countdown-clock-for-downing-street-11775054

A Brexit countdown clock worth an estimated £500 has been delivered to Downing Street as time ticks down to 31 October.

The timepiece will be displayed in Prime Ministers Boris Johnson's office, Number 10 confirmed.

A similar clock has also been hung in Conservative Party headquarters below a message saying "we will have delivered Brexit and left the EU by".

**** me. The people running the country are literally behaving like children...do they honestly think this shit impresses anybody with a functioning brain?

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

skynews-brexit-politics_4733757.jpg?bypa

"We know what we voted for" pt. 4,375

Government document obtained by Sky. Probably not Gavin Williamson this time.

Love how understated it is.  Northern Ireland, potential law and order challenges.  Oh.  Sounds ok.

UK nationals may start returning to UK - a billion pensioners relocate from the Costa Brava.

I had a conversation with a Brexit supporter the other day.

Me: what did you vote for then?

Them: Getting out if the EU

Me: and what does that include

Them: Getting out by all means it's what we all voted for

Me: the choices were stay or leave

Them: and I voted for a no deal Brexit

Me: what option was that

Them: leave

Me: where did it say no deal?

Them: it's what we voted for

Me: *walks away*

6 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

I had a conversation with a Brexit supporter the other day.

Me: what did you vote for then?

Them: Getting out if the EU

Me: and what does that include

Them: Getting out by all means it's what we all voted for

Me: the choices were stay or leave

Them: and I voted for a no deal Brexit

Me: what option was that

Them: leave

Me: where did it say no deal?

Them: it's what we voted for

Me: *walks away*

If you’d have asked the same person in 2016 they’d have either had no idea what a no deal Brexit was, or they would be justifying their intention to vote leave by stating we’d get a good deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remainers plot to oust 100 Brexiteers by tactical voting after Brecon and Radnorshire by-election

Remainers are plotting to join forces in 100 target seats at the next general election to oust Eurosceptic hardliners and stop the prime minister, Boris Johnson, winning a majority.

A leaked document shows the People’s Vote (PV) campaign is mobilising for the biggest campaign of tactical voting ever planned in an attempt to prevent a no-deal Brexit and secure a second referendum.

Tories to be targeted include the former leader Iain Duncan Smith, the environment secretary, Theresa Villiers, and Zac Goldsmith — all sitting on small majorities.

The leak follows the Liberal Democrats’ win in the Brecon and Radnorshire by-election after the Greens and Plaid Cymru agreed to stand aside and give them a free run at the Tories.

But with Labour and the Scottish National Party (SNP) refusing to join a nationwide remain alliance, PV bosses have secretly prepared plans to send money and thousands of activists to key seats.

The leaked strategy paper, drawn up by James McGrory, a former aide to Nick Clegg, details plans to tell voters whom to back in 100 crunch contests. It says: “In a general election our objective has to be a simple one: to secure a parliamentary majority for a people’s vote that gives the public the option of staying in the EU. Tactical voting will be a bigger factor than in any previous election fought in the UK.”

The campaign has identified 133 marginal seats where “a small difference can have a huge impact” from which a final “PV100” hitlist will be finalised.

The document details plans to:

● Contact every candidate in the 100 seats, demanding that they set out their position on a referendum
● Produce a “field mobilisation plan” to put activists “into areas where they can make the biggest difference”
● Draw up “a digital campaign plan for key seats which identifies the types of voters we are seeking to target in them; the messages and issues that will work best to mobilise them”

Avoid seats where the two frontrunners are both supporters of a new referendum.

Around half of the PV100 will be “attack” seats where Brexiteer Tories might be ousted, and half “defensive” seats where referendum supporters are at risk from Brexiteers. These will include Plaid Cymru’s Liz Saville Roberts, Liberal Democrat Layla Moran and Labour’s Rosie Duffield.

In a warning for Labour, which remains split internally over the merits of a referendum, the document says: “In marginal seats where the Labour candidate does not support a PV on any Brexit outcome, we will not give them our backing. But we recognise that we will be asking some of our supporters to ‘hold their noses’ and vote for a party they dislike.

“We hope this will be a one-off based solely on the importance of securing a democratic people’s vote on this, the most crucial issue of our generation.” That could mean backing a small number of Tories where they support a people’s vote.

The leak comes as Ian Blackford, the SNP leader in Westminster, wrote an open letter to the leaders of the other parties, urging them to join “a cross-party summit over summer recess to try to stop Johnson taking Britain out without a deal”.

● Avoid seats where the two frontrunners are both supporters of a new referendum.

About half the PV100 will be “attack” seats where Brexiteer Tories might be ousted, and half “defensive” seats where referendum supporters are at risk from Brexiteers. These will include Plaid Cymru’s Liz Saville Roberts, Liberal Democrat Layla Moran and Labour’s Rosie Duffield.

In a warning for Labour, which remains split internally over the merits of a referendum, the document says: “In marginal seats where the Labour candidate does not support a PV on any Brexit outcome, we will not give them our backing. But we recognise that we will be asking some of our supporters to ‘hold their noses’ and vote for a party they dislike.

“We hope this will be a one-off based solely on the importance of securing a democratic people’s vote on this, the most crucial issue of our generation.”

The prime minister’s most senior adviser, Dominic Cummings, has told ministers that it is too late for MPs to stop Brexit. The Sunday Telegraph reported that he said in a meeting last week: “They don’t realise that if there is a no-confidence vote in September or October, we’ll call an election for after the 31st and leave anyway.”

I would post the telegraph article but have to subscribe to read and don’t want to taint my email...

However from the brief summary, does he not realise that power is within the legislative, not the executive and thus as what they did with Theresa May force Boris to go back to EU to ask for a further extension for a General Election? 

They are now simply going down the threatening path aren’t they? Morons, absolute morons.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:43, peterms said:

We were supposed to leave months ago and now they've started giving information able leaving. Plan A was to just see how it goes then.

On 04/08/2019 at 08:51, cyrusr said:

However from the brief summary, does he not realise that power is within the legislative, not the executive and thus as what they did with Theresa May force Boris to go back to EU to ask for a further extension for a General Election? 

There are potential difficulties with this, though.

I don't think that we should just assume that because it happened once, it will necessarily happen again especially as there may not be quite the same opportunity as before (so they may have to manufacture one).

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

Â