The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

13 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Ayes: 315

Noes: 274

Government defeated by 41.

Reality is that it's even worse (for Johnson) than the result 'on paper'. Lots of Tories have abstained there and once they're no longer bound by any semblance of cabinet collective responsibility you'll find those that abstained will turn rebel on him.

One wrong move by that mop headed fool will hopefully make him the shortest PM in history...here's hoping.

25 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Ayes: 315

Noes: 274

Government defeated by 41.

Nice to be reminded that every now and again a bit of good news bubbles to the top of the septic tank that is current UK politics. 

• Like 4

He's likely to be amongst the shortest lasting PMs in history anyway. He faces the same problems May did but as a more controversial figure and with even greater pressure. He'll have to push for an election fairly shortly just to try to change the numbers in parliament, which is a toss up at this point. And he's not exactly a favourite with a lot of the party.

Brexit is the ultimate poisoned chalice. Nobody can win with it. It carves through parties like a cheese wire. It's Pandora's box with no way to ever put the lid back on.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Just another day in Hypocrisyville

Anyone who keeps an eye on this ugly topic on Tw*tter will likely have come across him over the last couple of years (before he deleted everything he's ever said due to his new position). 

It's not so much "Randy Lerner thinking Alex McLeish as Villa manager would be a good idea" as "Randy Lerner thinking Paul Tait as Villa manager would be a good idea".

Edited by ml1dch
  • Haha 1

I will tread carefully as it usually goes wrong when I post in here 😃.  Just a question.

Given that we will have 2 new leaders per side (EU / UK),  maybe the EU have purposely left it like this so she (von der Leyen) can come in and "Look" to have sorted it all out with a tweak here and there.  The alternative is they have set her up for a no deal Brexit and I find that hard to believe.  I don't know what tweak it could be but do you see what I mean ?

23 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I will tread carefully as it usually goes wrong when I post in here 😃.  Just a question.

Given that we will have 2 new leaders per side (EU / UK),  maybe the EU have purposely left it like this so she (von der Leyen) can come in and "Look" to have sorted it all out with a tweak here and there.  The alternative is they have set her up for a no deal Brexit and I find that hard to believe.  I don't know what tweak it could be but do you see what I mean ?

No, not really.

Surely the only change that matters is not the people but what each side wants and is prepared to accept - the EU don't appear to have changed their position at all; under Johnson, it appears the UK will likely harden its position to one of not accepting the text of the agreement as already decided.

The first and main question is, with whom does Johnson go back to 'negotiate'? And when? And how?

• Thanks 1

Â