The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

55 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A few EU linked commentators are raising the point this morning that it's far from certain that the EU is going to grant an extension to A50, especially without much clarity as to what the extension would achieve. The EU's had enough of Brexit as well.

Getting wider reporting now that the EU is very concerned about granting an extension. There needs to be unanimity between the EU27 to agree to an extension and that isn't looking likely as things stand. Especially when there doesn't seem to be any clarity on exactly what the extension would achieve.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Getting wider reporting now that the EU is very concerned about granting an extension. There needs to be unanimity between the EU27 to agree to an extension and that isn't looking likely as things stand. Especially when there doesn't seem to be any clarity on exactly what the extension would achieve.

A lot of commentary seems to assume an extension is a forgone conclusion but I think it is actually quite unlikely.

The EU has been pretty transparent throughout this process and they have also said there will not be an extension unless the UK needs time to hold elections or a referendum. 

There is not going to be an extension just to kick the can again. 

• Like 1

The Czech Presidential elections were won 51.4% to 48.6% , perhaps we could respectfully request the Czechs re-run their presidential  elections  , but I'm sure that would be seen as interfering in another countries affairs

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The Czech Presidential elections were won 51.4% to 48.6% , perhaps we could respectfully request the Czechs re-run their presidential  elections  , but I'm sure that would be seen as interfering in another countries affairs

Did the Czech government go back on their entire manifesto since they won?

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A lot of commentary seems to assume an extension is a forgone conclusion but I think it is actually quite unlikely.

The EU has been pretty transparent throughout this process and they have also said there will not be an extension unless the UK needs time to hold elections or a referendum. 

There is not going to be an extension just to kick the can again. 

I touched on this last night  ... if they reject an extension then parliament I think would have no option but to withdraw article 50

but Brexit wont go away , it may be postponed 5 - 10 years  whilst parliament splits more along remain and leave parties  , but that will at least give remainers enough time to get their Irish passports and emigrate to the land of milk and honey

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Did the Czech government go back on their entire manifesto since they won?

that isn't really relevant  to the point I made about interfering 

but rewind a few months and Kawcznski  actively seeking another government to interfere in the UK’s affair and the criticism he (rightly) received  ..  I'd imagine the same people criticizing one action are now applauding the other    ( to be clear I'm not saying you were doing this) 

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I touched on this last night  ... if they reject an extension then parliament I think would have no option but to withdraw article 50

but Brexit wont go away , it may be postponed 5 - 10 years  whilst parliament splits more along remain and leave parties  , but that will at least give remainers enough time to get their Irish passports and emigrate to the land of milk and honey

If Brexit is cancelled it will be done for a generation. No politician is going to go through all this again. 

• Like 2

Just now, tonyh29 said:

that isn't really relevant  to the point I made about interfering 

but rewind a few months and Kawcznski  actively seeking another government to interfere in the UK’s affair and the criticism he (rightly) received  ..  I'd imagine the same people criticizing one action are now applauding the other    ( to be clear I'm not saying you were doing this) 

I think there's a difference between what Kawczynski did, and what two PM's spoke about on the phone. 

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think there's a difference between what Kawczynski did, and what two PM's spoke about on the phone. 

had he kept the matter private I'd be  more inclined to agree

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If Brexit is cancelled it will be done for a generation. No politician is going to go through all this again. 

you could be right .. it would really come down to those leave areas and if the voters there  decide to punish their MP I guess .. they won't all have died by May 2022 :) and if they feel let down by their MP there could be a case for a Leave party ... maybe  the ERG mob which is around 70 MP's might consider a breakaway if they think there is support , Boris probably still has designs on the Tory job but as I think that ship has sunk , leading a breakaway leave party might be his next option  ?

Edited by tonyh29

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Hardly, the backstop rules are what made it a very terrible deal

I think they're just about the sole redeeming feature, personally. The throbbers hate it because (as there's no credible mechanism to avoid a hard border, other than remaining in the SM/CU) it will in effect indefinitely "trap"  us close to where we are now. As every form of Brexit is worse than what  we've currently got, it "traps" us in a low damage version, rather than allowing a high damage complete rupture.

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The sane option would be to withdraw A50, and I reckon that's essentially May's default - at the very last minute, with an imminent  (if it came to it) No deal, then she'd withdraw A50. I think that the EU believe this too and act accordingly. They hold all the cards.

still hearing the line from Zahawi, Boris etc that we need No Deal ‘on the table’ to help with negotiations. “Why would we shoot ourselves in the foot like that?” says Boris. Exactly, you clearing in the woods.

• Like 1

No Deal needs to be on the table in the negotiations taking place in some Brexiteers heads.

Unfortunately there's nothing that actually makes No Deal go away besides accepting a deal or binning the entire madness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

The sane option would be to withdraw A50, and I reckon that's essentially May's default - at the very last minute, with an imminent  (if it came to it) No deal, then she'd withdraw A50. I think that the EU believe this too and act accordingly. They hold all the cards.

which is what I said last night  , all be it more in the form of a question   ..of what happens if this (likely) outcome was to arise  .. Bicks was saying more likely a  delay and then a second referendum as the likely outcome  , but I was putting forward the case that you couldn't guarantee the result of the this new referendum   , where as if May withdrew it and parliament voted , the likely outcome is parliament would vote to withdraw it ( v No deal)

• Like 1

Â