The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Whatever this sham is will probably be enough of an excuse to agree on and then eventually blame it on May in years to come. I suspect there will be a narrow 'Deal' win tomorrow.

After years of overachieving, Britain has finally lost any ounce of power it had on the world stage and will become a nothing country that actually befits it's geographical and population size. This is the end, nothing good will come of this.

Ah well, I largely suspect this is the way the whole world is going anyway. Hostilities are increasing, walls are going back up, rich are getting richer, poor are getting poorer, overall education standards and intelligence is falling. I genuinely would not think about bringing a child in to this world.

Depressing day.

May spent two weeks doing nothing then apparently reached a 'breakthrough' the night before the vote but there is no time to question it or review it. 

If any MP changes their vote based on that they need to give their head a wobble. 

• Like 3

I think what Geoffrey Cox meant to say there was 'damn straight'.

At this point if he says yes to this, he's basically the only lawyer in the country who would.

The vote later is going to be farcical.

It surely also notes that it could make binding decisions on the UK?

Again then, this surely just reasserts that the two parties have already agreed a 'dispute resolution mechanism' and that they both agreed to be bound by it. The only remedy suggested there is a unilateral, proportionater suspension of obligations unless or until the (other) offending party complies with the ruling. This has to be temporary, though, doesn't it because the WA can't be putting in anything that is permanent - by the same arguments that have also been made against any permanency of the backstop. It also means that, should the UK maintain that the EU isn't acting with 'best endeavours' and they ask the arbitration panel to adjudicate and the panel don't agree then the UK has confirmed here (as we obviously should) that this is binding upon the UK.

If this somehow passes today and gets ratified and thus we leave on 29th March with this withdrawal agreement (and the EU don't object to the unilateral declaration which they've said they won't), isn't it likely that we have Mrs May's replacement (most probably from the Brexit wing of the party) taking over the discussions about the future relationship (we must keep reminding ourselves that this WA is not that), getting more and more irate and frustrated that their unicorns aren't being taken seriously by the EU, throwing in the towel, going to the arbitration panel and losing?

It is at that point that I think we'll be in real problems.

She gets this through, the precedents set and norms damaged should be absolutely catastrophic for the UK parliamentary system.

She has lied, obstructed, delayed and cheated her way to this deal. What's to stop any future PM taking ti further, and further?

What a shambles.

She is a word removed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

She gets this through, the precedents set and norms damaged should be absolutely catastrophic for the UK parliamentary system.

She has lied, obstructed, delayed and cheated her way to this deal. What's to stop any future PM taking ti further, and further?

What a shambles.

She is a word removed.

• Like 1

The more you read about this the more it looks like dirty tricks again, or an ambush.

The announcement coming so late, without the opportunity to allow MP's (or anyone really) to properly scrutinise the deal. Pretty despicable, isn't it? 

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

The more you read about this the more it looks like dirty tricks again, or an ambush.

The announcement coming so late, without the opportunity to allow MP's (or anyone really) to properly scrutinise the deal. Pretty despicable, isn't it? 

Nothing to scrutinise, absolutely nothing has changed

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Nothing to scrutinise, absolutely nothing has changed

There kind of is really. They need to read the document and compare it to the original in order to make that assessment. You also need to read this addendum to assess whether it's what we suspect, complete arsewater...that's scrutinisation, surely?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

There kind of is really. They need to read the document and compare it to the original in order to make that assessment. You also need to read this addendum to assess whether it's what we suspect, complete arsewater...that's scrutinisation, surely?

I'm not sure it matters, there's absolutely nothing there to change a 200 vote deficit

The day before the referendum I had a leaflet put through my door which, to paraphrase, basically said the Bible was fundamentally opposed to the EU and all good Christians must vote Leave or face damnation.

I swear I heard demonic screams as it burned later that night.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure it matters, there's absolutely nothing there to change a 200 vote deficit

You clearly have more faith in politicians than I do...I think it could be close tonight if the attorney general decides to stand up and lie through his teeth. The ERG are profiteering cowards but they're sensing a change in the mood and their fear of no Brexit at all might be enough to make them swallow some manure.

Â