The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Must have cost a bit, this billboard welcomes May to Brussels

It's a group called Led By Donkeys

They did a crowdfunder and have paid for dozens of advertising hoardings of tweets or quotes by those who should be held accountable:

Edited by choffer
  • Like 3

Brexit is a factor .. but only a small one , and the main thing is actually diese .. no it's Japa ..

that money wasn't actually british , and if it was in the uk  when Brexit happe... no it just happens at 11pm on that day the money would exist and not exist at the same time and it just so happens that this date had nothing to do anything else ok?

besides we've got a deal with the faroe islands worth a couple of grand, you can't ignore the bird watcher pound.

THEY WANTED AN EU SUPER STATE OK AND EVERY PENNY IT COSTS TO STOP THIS IS WORTH IT!

Good article about far right think tanks influencing government policy, dark money, and links to US lobbyists who want a hard brexit, zero tariffs, and serious damage to UK manufacturing and farming.  Quite long.

As Tory MPs resign in protest at the malign influence of hardline Brexiters, documents show the “unfettered” access to ministers and senior politicians enjoyed by secretive think tanks such as the IEA that are “marching the country” to a no-deal Brexit...

Singham, his employers – the IEA – and their anonymous financial backers have gained remarkable influence at a crucial moment in modern British history. With Westminster in chaos and Whitehall paralysed, an unelected lobbyist working for a think tank funded by dark money has come to play a pivotal role in pushing ideas for a hard break with the EU into the heart of government. Many of those who say ‘no deal’ is ‘no problem’ cite Singham’s work.  

Now, documents obtained by openDemocracy show in new detail the depth of the personal and professional connections between the IEA and the ERG and senior government ministers. The IEA is a registered charity but despite censure from the charity regulator for its pro-Brexit work the think tank’s influence on the Conservative right, especially the ERG, is huge.

Emails we’ve uncovered also show that Singham personally arranged for interest groups to meet with then Brexit minister Steve Baker and senior IEA staff had easy access to cabinet ministers. Commenting on these findings, Labour’s shadow minister for the cabinet office Jon Trickett said that the “unfettered access to decision-makers” showed that “a complete overhaul of politics is needed”.     

Just hours before the February press conference that argued for zero tariffs after Brexit, the Charity Commission had issued a formal warning to the IEA over Singham’s Brexit work. The former Washington lobbyist was invited onto Sky News afterwards all the same to explain his trade plans. That evening he appeared on Channel 4 News, where presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy described Singham’s proposals as “unicorns and nonsense”.

Singham's calls for the UK to elimate all tariffs are backed by many in the ERG but most economists believe such a dramatic move would lead to widespread job losses, economic damage and a serious reduction in standards across. The Times this week described the idea as "voodoo economics". Even Patrick Minford, a pro-Brexit economist and IEA trustee, has admitted that removing tariffs would mean that British car manufacturing would have to be "run down".

Nevertheless, Singham has been a near-constant presence in British media in recent weeks, often dismissing concerns about a no-deal Brexit. And as well as a constant stream of broadcast media invites for a man who refuses to reveal his paymasters, Singham has enjoyed “extraordinary” access to government ministers including Michael Gove and Boris Johnson.

Earlier this month, Singham attended a meeting at the Cabinet Office between senior ERG figures, Brexit secretary Steve Barclay and officials “from all arms of government” to discuss “alternative arrangements” for the Irish backstop. Theresa May was said to be “clearly taking this exercise seriously”.

Between them, influential, dark-money-funded lobbyists like Singham and pro-Brexit MPs have sought to play down fears about Brexit, and particularly a no-deal departure from the EU. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of pounds of dark money has poured into social media ads warning MPs not to “steal Brexit” and promoting the UK leaving the EU on WTO rules...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

😀

That's the trade deal he shouldn't even have started to negotiate yet? He's a effing dumbass, everyone else knew this three years ago

This is the grandfathering of the EU/Japan agreement that came in to force the other week so they've been okay to negotiate that. It's just that, as you say, people pointed out that it might not all be the copy and paste exercise that DFDS Fox appeared to believe in 2016 (or 2017 or 2018).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Corbyn supposedly had good meetings with EU representatives today.

Unlikely to get much coverage mind.

This sort of good meeting that Steve Bullock predicted a couple of days ago?

(not that I think for a moment that you fall into any of his denigratory groups)

• Like 1

NDLS:

In the event of a no-deal Brexit the driving licence of a UK licence holder living here in Ireland will not be recognised and the driver will not be able to continue to drive here in Ireland on that licence. The advice to such drivers is that they should exchange their UK driving licence for an Irish driving licence before the 29 March 2019, which is set as the withdrawal date of the UK from the EU. Under current arrangements a UK licence holder resident here in Ireland has an entitlement to make such an exchange. In such a case the driver will have all valid licence categories on their driver licence included on the Irish licence. There are some limited exceptions where what are known as national licences categories cannot be transferred to the Irish licence. You may need to speak to the DVLA to find out if you have any national categories on your UK licence.

To exchange your licence you must complete a licence application form and present this, the correct fee and your UK licence at an NDLS centre- you will get more information on the process here

For FAQ’s on Brexit and driving licences click here

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/where-are-you-on-the-brexit-thickness-scale-20190222182770

Where are you on the Brexit thickness scale?

22nd February 2019
brexit-supporter-2.jpg

HAVE you completely abandoned sense and reason over Brexit? Find out how you rate on the ‘Brexit thickness scale’ by seeing if you hold any of these views.

‘Politicians need to work together'

How exactly do you expect people to ‘work together’ on entirely incompatible things? You wouldn’t expect Mary Berry to work with James Dyson to bake a plastic cake that sucks up dust. Thickness level: 1

‘We must respect the referendum result’

A quick analogy: you book a family holiday to Somalia because it’s sunny and cheap. However, upon googling it you realise you will probably die. Then you pack your shorts anyway and hop on a flight to Mogadishu. Thickness level: 2

‘We have to leave to prevent riots by the far-right’

Utterly weird logic in which you immediately bow to a questionable threat you should resist anyway. Like letting a five-year-old drive off in your car because he threatened to duff you up. Thickness level: 3

‘Just get out now’

Repeated ad nauseum on BBC Question Time. Unfortunately the subtext is: “I have no interest in understanding this huge **** mess I voted for.” Thickness level: 4

‘The EU is going to collapse’

Brexiters arrive at this conclusion by wishfully overestimating the importance of, say, the ‘gilets jaunes’. It’s like thinking Marvel is going to stop making superhero films because your mate Dave fell asleep during Ant-Man. Thickness level: 5

‘We’ll sort something out’

When optimism intersects with stupidity. We probably will ‘sort something out’, but what? Being murdered ‘sorts out’ your old-age care arrangements, but it’s not ideal. Thickness level: 6

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Quick q. 

I go to Ukraine from Poland on the 28th March to the 30th. 

In a no deal, when I try to come back to Poland, what happens?

quick A is as long as you passport was issued after 1st Oct 2009 then nothing (i.e has at least 6 months left)

but presumably you might be restricted to a 90 day stay unless an agreement is reached outside of withdrawal ( I believe Portugal, Spain and Italy have offered an opinion that they would allow long term stays for British citizens if the deal was reciprocated )

Edited by tonyh29

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

quick A is as long as you passport was issued after 1st Oct 2009 then nothing (i.e has at least 6 months left)

but presumably you might be restricted to a 90 day stay unless an agreement is reached outside of withdrawal ( I believe Portugal, Spain and Italy have offered an opinion that they would allow long term stays for British citizens if the deal was reciprocated )

More complicated as he works in Poland, 90 days is tourism.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

More complicated as he works in Poland, 90 days is tourism.

just say "Jestem tu dla turystyki " when he arrives at immigration ..problem solved  :) 

When I lived in Hungary I had to jump a train to Vienna every 88 days or so and get my exit stamp and come back in , if only there had been some easy way of preventing this :D

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

just say "Jestem tu dla turystyki " when he arrives at immigration ..problem solved  :) 

When I lived in Hungary I had to jump a train to Vienna every 88 days or so and get my exit stamp and come back in , if only there had been some easy way of preventing this :D

Za, not dla I think :D

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Za, not dla I think :D

poxy google translate :)

OT but  googles lack of translate skills reminds me when I was young and in love and used to try and write Hungarian emails  to the future  Mrs H  ...I'd send emails  in Hungarian saying something like you smell  like a hippopotamus  , when I was supposed to be  saying I'd like to smoother you in peanut butter 

of course now we've been married 18 years I don't bother trying to be romantic and just eat the peanut butter from a jar whilst i watch the football on TV

• Haha 1

Â