The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Some of the comments are quite funny, some quite sweary. It would be funnier if he wasn't an opinion former via the shite he's written in the Mail for years and the shite he spouts as a commentator tv 'news' programmes.

But it pretty much sums up so much of this whole thing. There he is, skiing in Switzerland on behalf of the common folk of Stoke, so they don't have to, helping them form opinions on the elite and immigrants and peace in Ireland.

My favourite is "Switzerland is in the Schengen area you clearing in the woods."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Diesel!

Japan!

Err...

Not Brexit! Definitely not Brexit!

It’s already started on Twitter. 

The Gammonati can’t get their head around the fact they build petrol models there too. 

It’s all down to the slump in diesel and project fear. 

A good % of our population need throwing back in the sea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Well Leave did mean Leave

No photo description available.

I think you'd get very short odds on Bentley and Toyota making moves. Bentley is entirely reliant on components coming from the continent (owned by VW, the engines are for instance built in Germany as I recall). And Toyota is basically in the same situation as Honda.

I'd be very surprised if neither have made any decisions in the near future.

Brexit - **** excellent mate!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I think you'd get very short odds on Bentley and Toyota making moves. Bentley is entirely reliant on components coming from the continent (owned by VW, the engines are for instance built in Germany as I recall). And Toyota is basically in the same situation as Honda.

Project Fear.

They'll all be making those decisions on completely unrelated circumstances, obviously.

**** massive coincidence that all these companies are making these huge decisions to leave the UK, fully or partly, based on completely unrelated circumstances but all doing so at around the same time and so close to the Brexit deadline.

What are the odds?

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

All about diesel though isn't it?

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Well Leave did mean Leave

No photo description available.

I'm sure VT's will point me in the right direction of these announcements of exodus as I seem to have missed them  , I did see that :

Mini are closing the plant for 1 month  - I've not seen any announcement about them leaving ? they close for a month every year fwiw , they've just brought it forward to April , presumably they wont have the summer shutdown as well ?

Ford have talked about impact of No deal  - I've not seen any announcement about them leaving ?  , I have however seen articles about them closing a plant in France , undergoing discussion in Germany about closure and  2 plants shutting in Canada and America ( there is talk of a join venture with VW long term which could impact plants /jobs further)

Airbus , again talked about impact of No deal  , I've not seen any announcements about them leaving .. they have announced they will stop making the A380 which will result in job losses , but even the most ardent remainer would be hard pushed to blame that on Brexit ( but probably will )  ..Airbus actually have backorders for 9000 aircraft and have publicly stated it would be "many many " years before U.K. employees would be affected in case the company decides to relocate

Nissan - aren't  leaving , they decided to move production of something that was due to come to the UK to Japan ( not an EU country ) 

Honda - strange that 2 Japanese companies are moving long term production back to Japan weeks after signing a trade deal with the EU , Honda are also closing their Turkey plant and wont have any EU car production outside of Japan

It's not up for debate that Brexit is having an impact on some companies decision making  ,  but like "Browns recession " was a global recession ,  there is more at play in the world at the moment than Brexit  , for remainers to ignore those factors is  to be expected but also disingenuous 

Meanwhile , it was just announced , pay growth maintained its fastest pace in a decade in late 2018 and job creation stayed strong, with unemployment at its lowest rate since 1975   ..surprised this information hasn't been posted already

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

pay growth maintained its fastest pace in a decade in late 2018

Nominal pay growth, not growth in real terms.

ONS - UK labour market: February 2019:

Looking at annual growth rates for total pay (including bonuses), between October to December 2017 and October to December 2018:

• total pay in nominal terms increased by 3.4%

• total pay in real terms increased by 1.3%

Looking at annual growth rates for regular pay (excluding bonuses), between October to December 2017 and October to December 2018:

• regular pay in nominal terms increased by 3.4%

• regular pay in real terms increased by 1.2%

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It's not up for debate that Brexit is having an impact on some companies decision making  ,  but like "Browns recession " was a global recession ,  there is more at play in the world at the moment than Brexit  , for remainers to ignore those factors is  to be expected but also disingenuous 

I think this is a fair point, to be honest. However . . . 

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Meanwhile , it was just announced , pay growth maintained its fastest pace in a decade in late 2018 and job creation stayed strong, with unemployment at its lowest rate since 1975   ..surprised this information hasn't been posted already

. . . I think this is a bit of a 'tallest dwarf' contest. Unemployment top-line figures are great, but pay is growing faster from a very low starting point. Weekly pay is £31 per week lower than it was prior to the crash, once adjusted for inflation. So yes, we're beginning to move in the right direction, but we're creeping not rushing. 

• Like 2

Â