The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

So MPs get AV but we're stuck with FPTP?! 

Don't think the amendment has been accepted yet. Bercow to decide in a few days iirc

Makes a change MPs getting something we don't in Brexit, they've been "Not getting stuff" for two years or more

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Am I missing something, or is it just more wheel-spinning? Presumably four plans will get more than 50 votes, ie. Second Ref / Lab Frontbench / May's WA / No Deal, and none of them look like they could carry an actual majority. 

You know how single transferable voting works?

Just now, ml1dch said:

Government lose heavily again. Not on something that has any legal clout, but makes it very tricky for her to claim the EU27 just need to budge a little bit and everything will be fine.

Only 45 votes this time though.

I think any right minded person can see she's on the winning trajectory.

Just need a couple more weeks.

• Haha 1

Labour has accused her of "running down the clock" so that MPs will be faced with a last-minute choice between her deal and no deal.

An SNP amendment, which was also backed by the Liberal Democrats, calling for Britain's departure from the EU on 29 March to be delayed by three months, was defeated by 93 votes to 315, after most Labour MPs abstained.

BBC

giphy-9.gif

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Only 45 votes this time though.

I think any right minded person can see she's on the winning trajectory.

Just need a couple more weeks.

Bear in mind though that this wasn't a vote on the withdrawal agreement - this was a vote which basically said "we're happy with the Government carrying on doing that thing that passed with those amendments a couple of weeks ago"

That narrowly passed, so she's actually going backwards.

Just now, snowychap said:

And, I gather, Mrs May wasn't there for the result or to respond to it.

Yup. Then the speaker invited the Brexit secretary to respond in her stead. He declined.

Then he asked the Chief Whip. He also declined.

What a humiliation these people have foisted on the country.

• Like 3

If you're interested in the status/rights of EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU, it's worth a listen to the evidence given to the Immigration Bill Committee by Prof Stijn Smismans contained in the thread that begins with this tweet:

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

It's interesting to note that, in the letter from which the above Marx quote is taken (it's not whole - it has been trimmed), the prior sentence/para says the following:

But the English bourgeoisie has also much more important interests in the present economy of Ireland. Owing to the constantly increasing concentration of leaseholds, Ireland constantly sends her own surplus to the English labour market, and thus forces down wages and lowers the material and moral position of the English working class.

Whilst one might see this as reinforcing some of the basis behind the Brexit argument (the simple 'supply and demand' nonsense), surely it needs to be taken in the context of the economic time in which it was written rather than as an analysis of now and also as part of the analysis within the letter in terms of the power wielded by the English bourgoisie (at the time).

Edited by snowychap

Just now, jones1328 said:

The fact they were averaging 18 customers per flight may have been more the issue me thinks.

I'd agree. In my experience, they've cancelled/overbooked more flights for us than we've actually boarded on time. I think the score was 3 -1 at which point we never flew with them again

• Like 1

Â