The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

You may have misread it.  See for example another in the thread:

No, I didn't misread it. I read all the thread (well, I ignored Mr Bastani but that seems a largely sensible play).

I thought it was a bit bloody shit.

Edited by snowychap

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Project "Fear"?

Well they'll obviously say that because it's the starting point of a negotiating position, these things are changed closer to agreement /moggmode #bellend

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Project "Fear"?

I know right? I'm not sure you need an economics doctorate to understand that someone representing a market of 500 million consumers would be able to extract a more favourable trade agreement than one representing 66 million.

I'll say it...we told you so, morons.

Am I missing something with this. Currently there is a 10% tariff on Japanese goods coming in from Japan, set by the EU. I know this is to be phased out gradually in the next 10 to 15 years.  So if we offered a low tariff or none at all, wouldn't the Japanese be happy with that, and wouldn't it make things cheaper for the consumer?

9 minutes ago, colhint said:

Am I missing something with this. Currently there is a 10% tariff on Japanese goods coming in from Japan, set by the EU. I know this is to be phased out gradually in the next 10 to 15 years.  So if we offered a low tariff or none at all, wouldn't the Japanese be happy with that, and wouldn't it make things cheaper for the consumer?

If you offer the lower tariff to Japan, you have to offer it to the rest of the world. Which is why there isn't a single country that operates on WTO rules. By the time any FTA was agreed with Japan by the UK, the tariffs they'd be getting into the EU would be very close to if not already zero anyway. FTAs take upwards of 7 years to agree, despite what the Moggs of this world will tell you.

• Like 1

Watching a bit of Newsnight and that Owen Jones chap gets asked a question by Emily Maitliss, he starts to answer it and she starts to talk over him. So he says 'can I answer the question please'. To which EM, says 'no'. Asked him something else and talked over his next answer.

It's all gone a bit weird.

• Sad 1

On 30/12/2018 at 18:59, wazzap24 said:

National embarrassment comes to its inevitable conclusion.

A firm with no ships that was to ensure ferries kept crossing the Channel in a no-deal Brexit has had its contract cancelled.

Seaborne Freight's contract worth £13.8m had attracted widespread criticism after it emerged the firm owned no vessels suitable for carrying goods or vehicles.

The Department for Transport said it had decided to terminate the Seaborne's contract after Irish company Arklow Shipping, which had provided backing to the deal, stepped away.

A DfT spokeswoman said: "Following the decision of Seaborne Freight's backer, Arklow Shipping, to step back from the deal, it became clear Seaborne would not reach its contractual requirements with the Government.

"We have therefore decided to terminate our agreement"

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-firm-with-no-ships-has-ferries-contract-cancelled-11632176

Reckon it was clear to everyone that wasn't the Government back at the end of December.

• Like 2

Just plain incompetence?

Or has someone somewhere made a few quick quid by being able to say they had a big government contract?

Either way, it's not a farce, its a national embarrassment and government heads should roll.

A ferry contract to a ferry company that doesn't really exist, with no ferries and no port and the small print on the legals is about pizza delivery. It would be a rubbish lazy episode of a political comedy.

• Like 2

Â