The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Brexiteers viewing this as some kind of win for them. If this rule ends up going both ways which imo would be likely and fair, then we will still have a refugee problem with people coming to the country and then disappearing. Wonder if they will still view it as a problem?

Can't see what the fuss is about with visas anyway.If you have to pay £7 for a 2 year visa who gives a shit.No different (although cheaper) than an ESTA for visiting the statesand plenty of other countries you will pay an awful lot more thanthat to get in to

My desire for Brexiter based schadenfreude is nearly as strong as my desire for the plug to get pulled on Brexit and for everything to be okay.  Am I bad person?

Edited by Wainy316

19 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Can't see what the fuss is about with visas anyway.

It would restrict your freedom of movement. You can't just get up one morning and decide to go to Paris for example if you require a visa. Journeys for the visaless would require planning. That is a loss of freedom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I wouldn't say my desire to end Brexit is matched by the schadenfreude, but it is one of the few things I'm looking forward to after it.

Though I don't claim to be a good person.

This

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

It would restrict your freedom of movement. You can't just get up one morning and decide to go to Paris for example if you require a visa. Journeys for the visaless would require planning. That is a loss of freedom

You can get an esta for the USA in seconds,You can even do it in the airport if you want to.

Fill in a form online and you're done presuming there is no reason that need to do any further investigation. Why woud an EU visa be any different, wake up, apply online and hop on a train/boat/plane. Easy& once it is done it is valid for 2 years anyway so you can go whenever you like.If you are likely to be going back & forth on a whim then just renew it when it expires.not like less than 1p per day for 2 years is going to break the bank even if you don't use it

Edited by LakotaDakota

14 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

You can get an esta for the USA in seconds,You can even do it in the airport if you want to.

Fill in a form online and you're done presuming there is no reason that need to do any further investigation. Why woud an EU visa be any different, wake up, apply online and hop on a train/boat/plane. Easy& once it is done it is valid for 2 years anyway so you can go whenever you like.If you are likely to be going back & forth on a whim then just renew it when it expires.not like less than 1p per day for 2 years is going to break the bank even if you don't use it

Compared to having to do nothing but show your passport and the added uncertainty, this is a loss of freedom

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

That's not the point. It's not the cost, the difficulty, whatever, of applying for visas etc.

The point is right now, you can just get up and go. That's being taken away. Regardless of whether what replaces it is easy, or cheap. You've lost a freedom that today, you have.

• Like 3

I've been struggling to find a single positive about Brexit. Genuinely, I'd love someone to tell me one (remainer or leaver) that is at least a crumb of comfort.

In the absence of any positivity I've had to find my own;

Sunderland vote overwhelming to Leave. Nissan have now decided to do the same threatening jobs in Sunderland. The same pattern is beginning to become apparent to industries across Leave areas where it is the least well educated (and statistically more likely to vote Leave) that will feel the first destructive punches of Brexit.

I'm petty, but it's rare in this world to see at least some karma.

7 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I've been struggling to find a single positive about Brexit. Genuinely, I'd love someone to tell me one (remainer or leaver) that is at least a crumb of comfort.

In the absence of any positivity I've had to find my own;

Sunderland vote overwhelming to Leave. Nissan have now decided to do the same threatening jobs in Sunderland. The same pattern is beginning to become apparent to industries across Leave areas where it is the least well educated (and statistically more likely to vote Leave) that will feel the first destructive punches of Brexit.

I'm petty, but it's rare in this world to see at least some karma.

I think I've mentioned this before, but just in case. 

It seems that the 7,000 or so Nissan workers are pretty resented in the northeast, as the hoity-toity, well-paid, europhile professional elites. And that the vote to leave up there was a bitter backlash at them, as much as against the rest of the country.

So the poor Nissan workers end up getting pelters from all sides.

Hope that doesn't diminish your positivity.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

So would any of you pro brexit folks across the water cut us loose in the North of Ireland if it meant getting out completely?  Border poll/unity talk has pretty much accelerated over because of it all.

I think the problem is almost the opposite of that. The opposite of letting you go. Many of the brexit types knew there was something about North and South of Ireland but hadn't really given it much thought. A distant inconvenient memory. I don't think they appreciated the south wasn't british. I'm guessing they just thought it was divided in to two counties that didn't much care for each other.

Hence the numerous tory / brexit exclamations about the Irish either joining us or being threatened with starvation.

One of your problems is, we don't really have much of a World War II story about you that we can package up for the masses. We can explain any French action with stories of having liberated them. We can explain German attitudes because they're sore losers. The Polish are nice enough, they flew our Spitfires but now they all want to live above shops in Macclesfield and that's not a fair trade.,

The Irish, you don't really fit in with Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain. 

You certainly don't fit with the narrative of native people striking out against the evil empire and being allowed to be independent. Talk of vassel states, of being told what to do by anonymous people overseas, talk of cultural dilution and colonial absorption, that doesn't really work too well when facing west, or north.

You're tricky, you don't fit the narrative because the narrative has to be stupidly simple. So other than 10 DUP nutjobs, you're pretty much ignored. Even now, the latest solution to the border issue? 'We'll think of something or invent something....later'. You're not a real problem, you're a tricky bit of admin..

That is not meant in any way whatsoever, to be offensive to North or South.

• Like 3

Â