The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

46 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If people are desperate to see a bell get struck they can turn up at mine and pay a fiver and witness it first hand.

The shit gammons froth about.

A number of them, but I suspect less than 100%, are pig shit thick. 

They’ll all be buying the Brexit commemorative plate off the back of The Amateur Gammon magazine, if they’re not still paying off the instalments on the Diana autopsy real feel doll.

shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So the government will bail out Flybe but organise a whip-round for Big Ben to bong on brexit day or whatever the F it's meant to symbolise.

I'll bet if anyone bothered to dig deeply enough you'd find a personal relationship with the CEO of Flybe and one or more Senior members of the govt.

I hate this country so much right now it's unreal.

On 14/01/2020 at 16:42, tonyh29 said:

Looks like the public will have to raise the £500k for Big Ben to chime when we leave on the 31st

Shall we start a fund on VT  ?

How does a bell ringing cost £500k??

Utter bollocks of an idea, we're getting stupider by the day 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

How does a bell ringing cost £500k??

Utter bollocks of an idea, we're getting stupider by the day 

I think because it’s currently laid out in bits on a really big blanket being refurbished (although the quoted figure does seem obscene).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Question asked and answer given then

No we cant

Move on, no one gives a ****

And yet you tell the jocks that and Sturgeon gets all huffy about tit 

• Haha 1

They're really half-assing this:

So two things that nobody normal cares about (a Cabinet Meeting, and a press conference when there's nothing on the line) and a light show on a road that the public can't access. I expect I'll be telling my grandkids about this, with a tear in my eye.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 1

I have to say, it's a bit of a political risk celebrating implementing a political policy that has divided the country so much. 

It'll hardly get remainders on side having a light show to celebrate a moment they hoped would never happen. It'll be used again the government in the hard times ahead.

It just goes to shows how Johnson and his cronies have stoked division and shown contempt for huge swathes of the country. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 23:18, Genie said:

I think because it’s currently laid out in bits on a really big blanket being refurbished (although the quoted figure does seem obscene).

had a quick look at it

they would have to build a temporary platform in the tower, no details on it but I'll say a fairly basic scaffolding birdcage, they then have to take the chiming mechanism out of storage and deliver it to site, install it, chime the bell, remove the mechanism, back to storage, strip the scaffolding and pretend it never happened, assume this impact works that is called the critical path, so it stops the works from happening and puts the project in delay

this is a massive free hit for the contractor, ridiculously big, id be confident of making that a £500,000 variation minimum, 2-4 week delay on the whole project for a start, you're paying for the contractors time to do something they will have absolutely no interest in doing

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

had a quick look at it

they would have to build a temporary platform in the tower, no details on it but I'll say a fairly basic scaffolding birdcage, they then have to take the chiming mechanism out of storage and deliver it to site, install it, chime the bell, remove the mechanism, back to storage, strip the scaffolding and pretend it never happened, assume this impact works that is called the critical path, so it stops the works from happening and puts the project in delay

this is a massive free hit for the contractor, ridiculously big, id be confident of making that a £500,000 variation minimum, 2-4 week delay on the whole project for a start, you're paying for the contractors time to do something they will have absolutely no interest in doing

We live for pointless changes and out of sequence works.

I know two main contractor firms that always go in under cost because the Client will always change the brief. At which point, you pretty much name your price.

I’m quite confident that if the government built exactly what they asked for in the first place without variation and delay, quite a few contractors would go under.

• Like 3

I had a small  part in bringing Opta over to the UK from Germany a couple of years ago.

It was quite a coup.

Came back from a break today to find the team has been redundant and I'm freighting their kit to Portugal.

Bong! Git your Brexit here.

• Sad 2

58 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We live for pointless changes and out of sequence works.

I know two main contractor firms that always go in under cost because the Client will always change the brief. At which point, you pretty much name your price.

I’m quite confident that if the government built exactly what they asked for in the first place without variation and delay, quite a few contractors would go under.

As a QS it's safe to say I agree ;) it's the thing I'd probably say I was best at, identifying them and then creaming them

Once had a PQS working on a visitor centre at one the countries main ancient tourist attractions with a big Swedish contractor on site, the architect put a light switch on the wrong side of a door, spotted during the 2nd fix so just fished down the back of the plasterboard and put the other side, easy job, an hour tops, their price was over a grand, sheer inconvenience and knowing they have to do it, the client has nowhere to go

Where I work now in Germany is a stark contrast, they just don't get it

Â