The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Well, that’s the research done, nobody knows: now let’s jump

That Johnson promise of the opposite to what his Brexit minister has said we are signed up for should be massive news. There definitely will or definitely won’t be internal border checks. There absolutely will or absolutely won’t be differences for NI. It can only be shocking incompetence or a stone cold lie.

But it’s being shrugged off as just another funny Johnson confusion.

Scary times.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That Johnson promise of the opposite to what his Brexit minister has said we are signed up for should be massive news. There definitely will or definitely won’t be internal border checks. There absolutely will or absolutely won’t be differences for NI. It can only be shocking incompetence or a stone cold lie.

Scary times.

It’s a Trumpism.

catalogues of lies, corruption or downright shady practices but the media latches onto Hilary sent some work emails from her personal email account. 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Scary times.

I'm as cynical as they come about British media, but even I've been astonished at the flat lack of reaction to that video. I literally haven't seen or heard anybody mention it. I'd quite like to be told that I've just managed to miss the storm to be honest.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2019 at 20:57, ml1dch said:

I have nothing to link to, and it's third-hand anecdotal information, so should be treated with all the suspicion that entails - but I've been led to believe that there's no need to renegotiate anything, it's already been done. Starmer's numerous trips to Brussels to see Barnier weren't just beer and waffle tours.

If there's a Labour administration then the broad agreement gets wheeled out pretty quickly.

You'd think they'd make a big thing of that in the campaign if it's true.

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm as cynical as they come about British media, but even I've been astonished at the flat lack of reaction to that video. I literally haven't seen or heard anybody mention it. I'd quite like to be told that I've just managed to miss the storm to be honest.

I've seen it spoken of on Newsnight and C4 News. The Sky News lot seem to have been on it quite a bit (Lewis Goodall's twitter certainly has a fair bit on it and a tweet with a link to Starmer commenting on it on their news channel).

Following the main politics commentators on twitter and it's all over there.

There's stuff on the Grauniad website, too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I've seen it spoken of on Newsnight and C4 News. The Sky News lot seem to have been on it quite a bit (Lewis Goodall's twitter certainly has a fair bit on it and a tweet with a link to Starmer commenting on it on their news channel).

Following the main politics commentators on twitter and it's all over there.

There's stuff on the Grauniad website, too.

Yes, I've seen Lewis Goodall talking about it on Twitter, and he's one of the few politcs journo's I actually have some time for. I guess I just don't count Twitter as much because so few people see it.

I'm happy to hear that it has at least made TV though.

19 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I guess Labour don't want to have to put up with the cries of anguish from the "we'd have got a better deal if you hadn't been undermining poor Boris!!" morons. 

If it's true of course. Which it could very easily not be.

The flip side is that Labour could be saying "we've done a deal, it's better in this way, that way, the other way...all the tories could get was a big pile of jobs, and look, we've got a deal which will mean we're sticking to the result of the referendum in 2016, to leave, as we promised we would and..."

I'm sure there's been explorative talks, and maybe some broad understanding from the EU of what Labour would like and the implications and counter proposals that might be made, but a deal pretty much ready to go - no chance.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd quite like to be told that I've just managed to miss the storm to be honest.

I think you must have missed the coverage. Not exactly a storm but it was on the front pages and on the news and the internet and so on.

There's also a sort of weary resignation that they're all lying, they're all coming out with rubbish and so these examples get a short coverage and then the next one happens and the coverage moves on to that.

21 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Probably my first, last and only post in this thread. If it wasn't for a few Friday Guinness, I wouldn't have dived into any dreaded politics at all. I personally don't care how anyone voted in the referendum. My own family was split. All of us rational, intelligent, well-meaning people. I have long since stepped away from the whole thing on account of the venom, labels and stereotypes from the chaos-mongers in the media. There are successful European nations inside the EU, and successful European nations outside the EU. Both possible results were perfectly reasonable outcomes for the 650 public servants (MPs) at Westminster to implement, in conjunction with fellow professional people in Brussels (rather than everyone on all sides regressing to the playground sandpit). I highlight your point, @NurembergVillan, only to make the minor observation that the campaign to leave the EU championed a reconnection with the 2.5bn, largely non-white, members of the Commonwealth – over what was viewed / portrayed as protectionist EU policies – and an immigration system that would put EU and Commonwealth citizens (of all colours) on a level playing field. I think that point is sometimes in danger of slipping down the Orwellian memory hole, so I mention it here and tiptoe away, back to my preferred position of non-combatant in this. Peace, love and respect to all of you. I hope everyone can play nicely. Back to the Guinness...

Shame you selected my post to highlight, as it was related to Windrush and not Brexit.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

You think? I'd bet a considerable sum that if you polled the average Brexiteer what they were thinking of, they'd have said Australia, New Zealand, Canada - and the USA. Then you could ask if they fancied replacing all those Polish and Romanian workers with ones from Bangladesh, Jamaica and Nigeria, and I can guess their reaction. 

I agree.  You've quoted a quote and it's attributed itself to me, strangely.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Then No Deal in December 2020.

While it's obviously not ideal to be risking anything at all on this - and in fact we're risking lots - I imagine Boris will cave and apply for an extension to avoid a no deal outcome. 

Â