The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

35 minutes ago, villakram said:

That's pretty much exactly what the exit poll says.

Of course, when somebody who voted leave actually provides a quantitative reason for voting leave, then we'll stop thinking you're tossers because you'll have provided us with some evidence that you're not.

I think you may be wrong.

It doesn’t show that 71% of those who voted Leave believe that the internet is a force for ill, though the slide is designed to suggest that. What it actually shows is that 71% of those believe that the internet is a force for ill (it doesn’t say how many believe that), voted Leave. Maybe only 100 of those interviewed said they believe the internet is a force for ill, we just don’t know. It only tells us 71% of them voted Leave.

Pretty useless survey.

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

What rights is that they've lost since 7 am this morning when the vote was declared ?

Care to answer the question with an answer rather than another question?

Besides which Tony are you trying to tell me that nothing will change with regards freedom of movement from the EU to Great Britain? 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In fairness to my above comment, I've only just seen the recovery that the FTSE made. That's one hell of a charge, let's hope this mornings bottom out was just 

Maybe, just maybe, you might be overreacting a little. Maybe there might not be a recession & we can also have immigration, & still go on holiday to europe & still buy & sell to whomever we want to. Those scare tactics sure got to you

• Like 3

P.S. If the recession hits and I have to lay anyone off, it won't be the Polish guy. Because 1) He's solid and 2) It might mean he has to uproot his family and move to another country.  

British jobs for Polish workers... Who's with me?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Do you really believe the things that you post?

I see the Brexit also took away everyone's sense of humour 

oh well , enjoy your anger 

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

P.S. If the recession hits and I have to lay anyone off, it won't be the Polish guy. Because 1) He's solid and 2) It might mean he has to uproot his family and move to another country.  

British jobs for Polish workers... Who's with me?

Out of curiosity...have you talked to him about the referendum? What was his thoughts on the result?

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I see the Brexit also took away everyone's sense of humour 

oh well , enjoy your anger 

That was humour? Did you import your joke from a German?

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Care to answer the question with an answer rather than another question?

Besides which Tony are you trying to tell me that nothing will change with regards freedom of movement from the EU to Great Britain? 

No I'm expecting death squads knocking on people's doors at 5 am

Meantime why not wait and see what happens instead of second guessing everything ....

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Meantime why not wait and see what happens instead of second guessing everything ....

Public sector employees out at 5am?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

Public sector employees out at 5am?

"Please make sure you're home for extermination between 9-3, Monday-Friday, except for Wednesdays which is 9-12.If all residents can't fit in to a single wheelie bin, the leftover ones will be left on the street."

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

So you've about as much of a clue what will happen as Boris Johnson? 

well i've stayed fairly non vocal before the referendum, mostly because i had a very personal interest in it is very likely the company (a german owned one) i work for will relocate to a EU member state,  the question was asked of directors leading up to the brexit vote and they were very candid and honest  in their answers. In the very likely event they do follow through with this i've got about 2 years at most to find another job, I'm aware of only one other indusrty competitor within the UK but theyre foreign owned as well so i have no idea on their plans to remain, I'm probably looking at about a 30% pay cut looking at the type of jobs on offer in related industries, loos like even if the management training and position i had been offered is still on offer,post brexit which is unlikely i might be better off not taking it.

not blaming anyone for how they have voted, not feeling particlarly sorry for myself, but spent the day trying to work some things out and try to plan for the future so that in the likely event of the above happening i can make the best of it

Edited by mockingbird_franklin
errors
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Out of curiosity...have you talked to him about the referendum? What was his thoughts on the result?

Confusion, mostly. Fear. He has no idea what will happen in the short, medium or long term. I have promised him I will do what I can to help should the 5am death squads visit. Apparently though there will be an "amnesty" for those who have had the audacity to enter the UK legally to work up until now, which is nice of them. 

My Croatian friend is talking of leaving. She grew up during the war over there, she's had enough of living in countries where she's told she's not welcome. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Explain to me then why this is worth it. I'm expecting to have to lay off two members of staff within the month

Unless you're David Cameron I think you might be over-reacting slightly.

38 minutes ago, villakram said:

Very interesting demographics charts here in the FT live blog, unfortunately the full blog posting is behind their paywall.

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/liveblogs/2016-06-24/#5848624949da48ad06f93fcf903d4c77

No passport --> statistically more likely to vote leave

No degree --> statistically more likely to vote to leave

Old person --> statistically more likely to vote to leave

"Areas with high numbers of degree-educated people tended to vote Remain "

I see. So London, Scotland and half of N Ireland is where all the brains are?

Edited by BigJim

I wasn't sure what way to vote for a long time as I hadn't actually put any thought or research into it, I changed that over the last few days and came to the conclusion that voting to remain was the best thing to do IMO. I spoke to a number of my clients, who are the owners and majority shareholdings of some of the biggest companies in the UK for their views and the vast majority of them, were voting to remain as being part of the EU is a huge boon for their businesses and allowed them to expand and grow and create more jobs. These are people who I respect. 

Even down the politicians campaigning, the ones pushing the leave vote are ones I dislike more than the remain ones! Everything was telling me that remain was the sensible choice for the country. I was confident last night we would remain so to wake to the news this morning was a shock. 

The atmosphere at work today was very restless. Some of the people who voted out even said they now aren't sure if they made the right decision, Well, too late Buster! 

Its going to be a challenging time but I think the decision is the wrong one. A sad day :(

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Â