The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Well, this has been going on a good long while now and that’s the first time I’ve heard of Brexit being an attempt at population control.

Think how many condoms £350 Million a week would buy.

Never mind the irony of putting sexually incontinent Boris Johnson in charge of population control.

Edited by chrisp65

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

If you want to know why the ERG have signed up to Johnson's agreement with the EU then listen to Bridgen tonight on Newsnight.

Whoever is in contol of the next Parliament controls what the PD means. Any MP who votes for the WA without understanding that doesn't understand what they are doing.

Edit: It is the height of the shyster. Johnson is a disgrace - he wants to be applauded for 'getting a deal' and to be able to distance himself from the shit that is to come afterwards.

Indeed.

They also know there's not a cat in hell's chance of a trade agreement being done by the end of the transition...

It's a Trojan horse.

• Like 3

The population increase from "Eastern Europeans" who come here to steal our jobs is the only population increase I've ever seen mentioned. Tell your friends they've mostly f***ed off back home and the apples are rotting

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Indeed.

They also know there's not a cat in hell's chance of a trade agreement being done by the end of the transition...

It's a Trojan horse.

Don't write off the ability of Governments to pass deals that are shit.

Allowing for the above, I agree with what you've said.

32 minutes ago, brommy said:

Cutting through the flannel, I would say the main concern of those leavers I know is population increase. They don’t care about skin colour and aren’t all white anyway. They see leaving the EU as being able to slow down the increase. They acknowledge that the majority of immigrants pay tax and therefore contribute to the economy but doubt whether their average contribution is enough to cover the additional resources required - childcare, school education, healthcare, welfare support, transport infrastructure etc. Most of the people I know earn well and pay thousands (some tens of thousands) in taxes. I believe they resent the additional numbers that perhaps pay hundreds, which they see as a net deduction.

Of your 3 accusations, perhaps it’s closest to “ignorance’. Something they would deny and throw right back.

If that's their reasoning, then they're ignorant, sorry.

And have a fundamental misunderstanding about how the tax system works and how EU immigrants are overall, a net benefit on public services, more so than UK citizens.  

• The average UK-based migrant from Europe contributed approximately £2,300 more to UK public finances in 2016/17 than the average UK adult. In comparison, each UK born adult contributed £70 less than the average, and each non-European migrant contributed over £800 less than the average.
  • The average European migrant arriving in the UK in 2016 will contribute £78,000 more than they take out in public services and benefits over their time spent in the UK (assuming a balanced national budget), and the average non-European migrant will make a positive net contribution of £28,000 while living here. By comparison, the average UK citizen’s net lifetime contribution in this scenario is zero.

If that's their opinion, then aim it at non-EU immigration, of which we have full control whilst being in the EU, and will increase with a lack of EU immigration post-Brexit.

Basically, if that's why they voted to leave, they've well and truly shot themselves in the foot.

And they're ignorant.

Not an accusation, but a fact.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

From yesterday, this scandal has been overlooked by most of the media in the clamour for today’s nonsense. My MP actually tweeting something useful for once. This has quite some implications for my industry. Representatives for Wellingborough

thread

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

You **** what?

The '****' adds nothing to your question. As it's not my opinion, if you require further clarification I'd have to put you in contact with some of the leavers I know but as it wouldn't be beneficial, I shan't. 😉

53 minutes ago, brommy said:

The '****' adds nothing to your question. As it's not my opinion, if you require further clarification I'd have to put you in contact with some of the leavers I know but as it wouldn't be beneficial, I shan't. 😉

Of course it adds something to my question - it adds emphasis.

I didn't venture that it was your opinion. It was, however, an opinion that you put forward (on whosoever's behalf, I care not much).

You posted:

3 hours ago, brommy said:

Cutting through the flannel, I would say the main concern of those leavers I know is population increase.

If you aren't prepared to 'put us in contact with' those leavers having refused 'further clarification' from your own lips then I'm not sure about the weight anyone should give this 'main conern'.

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Of course it adds something to my question - it adds emphasis.

I didn't venture that it was your opinion. It was, however, an opinion that you put forward (on whosoever's behalf, I care not much).

You posted:

If you aren't prepared to 'put us in contact with' those leavers having refused 'further clarification' from your own lips then I'm not sure about the weight anyone should give this 'main conern'.

Emphasis is lost in overuse.

I agree there's little chance changing minds, of either side.

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If that's their reasoning, then they're ignorant, sorry.

And have a fundamental misunderstanding about how the tax system works and how EU immigrants are overall, a net benefit on public services, more so than UK citizens.  

If that's their opinion, then aim it at non-EU immigration, of which we have full control whilst being in the EU, and will increase with a lack of EU immigration post-Brexit.

Basically, if that's why they voted to leave, they've well and truly shot themselves in the foot.

And they're ignorant.

Not an accusation, but a fact.

I've passed similar information over to leavers before.

4 hours ago, brommy said:

I've passed similar information over to leavers before.

A lot of people vote on personal experiences instead of facts. Can’t get a doctors appointment - too many immigrants, can’t get a job - immigrants doing it for less, school overcrowded - too many immigrants.  Immigrants are always an easy target when there are social issues in a country and the leave campaign played on this beautiful. 

But you can’t blame the average person for the mess we are in. They have been brainwashed with lies . They have been a very easy target and taken advantage of. The remain camp were complacent and didn’t do enough of it. 

We should never have been allowed to vote on something so important. 

The blame for all of this is the government in my opinion. Not the people.

Richard Burgon, Labour Shadow Secretary of State for Justice said this morning on R4 that any desire for a referendum was ‘fantasy land’. We can either help get this bill through in a matter of weeks with some amendments, or go for a general election.

I am very much anti EU as a political project, however the 'population control' argument is silly in my eyes. It just feels like those lazy arguments in the shape of 'get it over with' or 'brexiteers are racist'.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Richard Burgon, Labour Shadow Secretary of State for Justice said this morning on R4 that any desire for a referendum was ‘fantasy land’. We can either help get this bill through in a matter of weeks with some amendments, or go for a general election.

In a parliament containing Nadine Dorries, James Cleverley and Andrea Leadsom, he is probably the thickest MP out there.

Â