The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I voted tory at the last general election and was labelled toffee nosed, elitist, rich public schoolboy who was out for himself.

I voted out of europe and I'm labelled a racist, working class, ill-educated, ignorant imbecile.

Well guess what....I'm neither. There's a vast middle ground out there if you care to listen 

Explain to me then why this is worth it. I'm expecting to have to lay off two members of staff within the month, by the way, because there's a hell of a recession coming. 

guy on Guardian podcast made an interesting point about the problem now facing the brexit lot: because they've been clear as mud about what they actually mean by brexit, everyone who voted that way has a different idea or expectation of what brexit meant. so, chances are when they finally get around to negotiations they're going to make a lot of people unhappy. i predict the UK won't get out completely and there will be a compromise and concessions from both sides, especially if it is boris leading the team. remain in the single market and still pay a bit into europe but take back border controls and a bonfire of red tape is my guess at this stage.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Don't think the poll tells us very much.

I can just hear people saying things like, Look, 71% of he to$$ers who voted Leave believe that the internet is a force for ill.

Except that the results don't show that at all.

That's pretty much exactly what the exit poll says.

Of course, when somebody who voted leave actually provides a quantitative reason for voting leave, then we'll stop thinking you're tossers because you'll have provided us with some evidence that you're not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In fairness to my above comment, I've only just seen the recovery that the FTSE made. That's one hell of a charge, let's hope this mornings bottom out was just that. 

Shit, I was waiting a few days for things to settle before I made some investments. 

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Apparently I (and my kids) are eligible for Irish citizenship... 

There's no reason not to go for it, it'll save you a fuckload of hassle with visas and airport queues in the future! There's apparently about 10% of UK citizens with a claim to Irish citizenship, I'd apply now before they think about changing the rules due to the volume of people applying.

1 hour ago, BigJim said:

I haven't lived in the UK for many years so couldn't vote.... Have to say, all the older expats I know would have voted Leave.

I would probably have been in the same **** moron geriatric camp. But of course it is easy to take that view if you don't have to live with the consequences. In that sense, I can understand the fears of young people. 

What I can't understand is their arrogance.  I actually saw (not here) someone saying people shouldn't have been allowed to vote (i.e. they're not intelligent enough).  That is exactly the view of the political elite who have run Europe for their own ends for a good number of years now (and whose time has probably come to an end). And it appears to be the view of a fair few on here.

I must admit, although I'm not 'young', I've spent most of the day wishing we hadn't been trusted with this decision. 

It's not about pure intelligence for me, not in the sense of IQ or qualifications anyway. It's about trying to understand the different arguments and knowing what your voting for. You don't have to be 'book clever' to do this. Just don't be ignorant. 

Democracy is a wonderful thing, but it comes with a responsibility. You hear a lot about people's right to vote, but IMO that right should come with a duty to educate yourself before you do. Too many people don't and we all have to live with the consequences. Wars have been fought to protect democracy and it should be better respected. And that goes for left, right, in, out and any other persuasion. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's no reason not to go for it, it'll save you a fuckload of hassle with visas and airport queues in the future! There's apparently about 10% of UK citizens with a claim to Irish citizenship, I'd apply now before they think about changing the rules due to the volume of people applying.

I'm at an airport on the way to the Isle of Man , they've already pulled in extra people to process visas for uk citizens  ..... :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm at an airport on the way to the Isle of Man , they've already pulled in extra people to process visas for uk citizens  ..... :rolleyes:

They're processing visas that don't exist yet?

It's funny how this is seen in the eyes of everyone and how there's so many different opinions that nobody can see the full picture, people are under the impression that we will be on our own, well we are still apart of Europe, the UK leaving isn't a vendetta against other European countries, this clearly isn't going to happen over night.

Every country has to do right for itself, not for Brussels, we will still no doubt buy from Europe and they will from us, but what this does mean is that everyone is going to need to pull their weight, get the unemployment quota down (my in-laws certainly wont help here!) get employment up and prove that we don't need Europeans doing our jobs for us.

And with that extra money, improve our education system and NHS (although we all know this is going to be torn apart whether we stayed or left)

What the country needs to do now regarding immigration, is get our armed forces with loaded rifles at our ports and docks, kick the UKBA into touch and make sure our gates are closed, because lets be honest, that's probably the main reason most people voted to leave, and there's no denying that, this country has been shafted by Europe for far too long.

As for Scotland, well, they want to be independent but want to sponge off England, its like somebody mouthing off on Facebook saying they want nothing to do with their family, but then phoning uncle Bob to borrow £50 (which they never pay back), let the sweaty socks go and sponge off Europe and leave our wallet alone, lets see how they cope without OUR NHS.

Id be surprised if soon enough we will get less euro for the pound, that's my holiday to Spain costing more next year!

It's Friday, lets calm down and drink one of our fine European lagers :)

What's the issue with "European workers"? I don't get it. I have a Spanish housemate, a Croatian best friend and a Polish employee who all go to work, pay their taxes and live their economic lives right here in the UK without managing to upset me in the slightest. 

What gives them any less right to do so than an "English" person? What the **** is an "English" person anyway?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What's the issue with "European workers"? I don't get it. I have a Spanish housemate, a Croatian best friend and a Polish employee who all go to work, pay their taxes and live their economic lives right here in the UK without managing to upset me in the slightest. 

What gives them any less right to do so than an "English" person? What the **** is an "English" person anyway?

What rights is that they've lost since 7 am this morning when the vote was declared ?

• Like 3

Very interesting demographics charts here in the FT live blog, unfortunately the full blog posting is behind their paywall.

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/liveblogs/2016-06-24/#5848624949da48ad06f93fcf903d4c77

No passport --> statistically more likely to vote leave

No degree --> statistically more likely to vote to leave

Old person --> statistically more likely to vote to leave

• Like 1

Â