The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

It comes to something when allowing MP's to properly scrutinise the biggest piece of legislation most of us will see in our lifetime is seen as a win and shows how low this Government has sunk.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Just now, markavfc40 said:

It comes to something when having MP's scrutinise the biggest piece of legislation most of us will see in our lifetime is seen as a win shows how low this Government has sunk.

And yet some will think the government are correct.

Who thinks remain will win a referendum?

I do, mostly, but I've got to be honest, and I'm not stupid, the media reporting always makes me feel like the majority of the country wants brexit. It's not what I get when I talk to people, I hardly know any who want it, but the media just puts the fear of God into me about it all. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The length of the extension is set out in the Benn Act isn’t it? 

The EU can see what is going on and know there will be an election if they extend into the new year. 

Yeah I trust the EU to see through the scummy things done here. 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The length of the extension is set out in the Benn Act isn’t it?

No. The length to be requested by the PM (in the letter he sent and was accepted on Saturday) was set out in the Act.

As previously, the EU may well come back with a different offer (May asked for end of June, I think, originally and then the offer was April 12th and May 22nd).

The EU can offer whatever it wants (which then has to be accepted by the PM unless the House of Commons votes against it - at least I think that's what the Benn Act says).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No. The length to be requested by the PM (in the letter he sent and was accepted on Saturday) was set out in the Act.

As previously, the EU may well come back with a different offer (May asked for end of June, I think, originally and then the offer was April 12th and May 22nd).

The EU can offer whatever it wants (which then has to be accepted by the PM unless the House of Commons votes against it - at least I think that's what the Benn Act says).

Yes that’s my understanding but the E.U. will know they have the choice between ‘helping out Boris’ with his preferred timetable or sticking to the requested timetable. The requested timetable will effectively push the UK into an election, which may well be a case of ‘rolling the dice’ into a more favourable parliament for them to renegotiate with. 

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yes that’s my understanding but the E.U. will know they have the choice between ‘helping out Boris’ with his preferred timetable or sticking to the requested timetable. The requested timetable will effectively push the UK into an election, which may well be a case of ‘rolling the dice’ into a more favourable parliament for them to renegotiate with. 

The decision will be determined by what benefits the EU; I don't know whether that's a short extension or a longer one. I can imagine arguments on both sides.

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Indeed. My point was just about whether it was set (in stone) by the Act - I won't quibble at all with your summation above. I think that's probably right - though the EU may well surprise us (again)! :)

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Poll of polls consistently shows the tories have a 10 point lead.

Don’t forget VT is a bit of a high level intellectual bubble with only a smattering of exceptions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Don’t forget VT is a bit of a high level intellectual bubble with only a smattering of exceptions.

That’s why I used the term ‘roll the dice’. It’s pretty unpredictable where a new parliament would land.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I know Johnson is unlikely to be as bad as May in an election campaign but their lead in 2017 was about 20%, IIRC, when May made her election announcement (with which the House of Commons agreed).

Obviously may not have been poll of polls.

Interesting exchanges in the Business Statement, especially from some of the wild end of the Tory Party (Patterson/Jenkin/Others).

I wonder whether this might be pissing them off that the Government is unwilling to agree to an extended/amended timetable. Might come back to bite them in the arse.

Â