The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

24 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Don't think Tories will give Labour the time to sort out their leadership.

It's not up to the Tories (other than in conjunction with other MPs) whether the election takes place (and then when - beyond the actual decision being the PM's after dissolution is decided upon).

28 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

probably end of November/early December

Only probably date is Dec 12th this year, I'd say (assuming Thursday).

28th Nov would be very tight (25 working days minimum); 5th Dec is week of NATO meeting in London.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's not up to the Tories (other than in conjunction with other MPs) whether the election takes place (and then when - beyond the actual decision being the PM's after dissolution is decided upon).

Only probably date is Dec 12th this year, I'd say (assuming Thursday).

28th Nov would be very tight (25 working days minimum); 5th Dec is week of NATO meeting in London.

I do think though that the other parties SNP/LD etc. will support an election as soon as possible. LD in particular as they will see it as an opportunity to grab the remainer votes. Labour will also be shown to backtrack following previous comments of seeking an election after no deal off the table. Any further delay beyond will simply feed into the narrative of "parliament wants to stop brexit" that the government are peddling, even if that isn't the case. 

12th December does look quite likely though... 

• Like 1

Sometimes you just have to quote some of these throbbers words back to them

image.png.821b08268b3f25a298c0e750245abada.png

You've literally just admitted to voting for someting you describe as "vassalage". Tbh I don't agree that it's anything like vassalage, but if I had even the slightest thought that it might be that's surely enough to make you not vote for it.

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

You've literally just admitted to voting for someting you describe as "vassalage". Tbh I don't agree that it's anything like vassalage, but if I had even the slightest thought that it might be that's surely enough to make you not vote for it.

Great word! 

8 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I do think though that the other parties SNP/LD etc. will support an election as soon as possible. LD in particular as they will see it as an opportunity to grab the remainer votes. Labour will also be shown to backtrack following previous comments of seeking an election after no deal off the table. Any further delay beyond will simply feed into the narrative of "parliament wants to stop brexit" that the government are peddling, even if that isn't the case.

Though no deal isn't off the table and until the EU agrees an extension, it isn't even off the table for 31st October (yes, yes - it's extremely unlikely but...). So if Johnson pulls his bill then we'd still be waiting for the EU to offer (and Johnson to agree to) an extension before those parties would agree to an election, surely?

For it to go through under the FTPA, Labour (or enough Labour MPs - 40, I think) would have to vote for it even if all the other parties voted for it.

3 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

Absolutely **** you if you're okay being on the same side as these words removed. This is on you. 

Despite the exasperations in this thread, I think there are a great many millions of the UK public who readily accept what the government is doing and therefore wouldn’t see ‘this is on you’ as any kind of slur. 

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

Despite the exasperations in this thread, I think there are a great many millions of the UK public who readily accept what the government is doing and therefore wouldn’t see ‘this is on you’ as any kind of slur. 

They just want to win, they want to point and laugh at people who lost as their car goes over the cliff edge in flames, no screams from them, just laughing, they won.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

The ERG is only backing it because it sets up the No Deal scenario they want next year. Hypocrisy, etc doesn't matter. The long goal does.

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

Yep. 

24 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

Absolutely **** you if you're okay being on the same side as these words removed. This is on you. 

It's fine if he wins this vote. Many who are voting for it are doing so because they're seeking to "improve" it over the next few days.

Translation...get ready for some hilarious amendments that BoJo the clown isn't going to like very much.

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

They just want to win, they want to point and laugh at people who lost as their car goes over the cliff edge in flames, no screams from them, just laughing, they won.

I expect many will think like that.

There are also many millions that are economically reasonably comfortable and are in or approaching retirement who, if they do feel any economic impact, strongly believe it will be minor (for them) and will be worth it. I think their biggest surprise won’t be the economic impact, but how little being out of the EU will do to reduce their dreaded population increase in the UK; at least in the short to medium term that they have left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

12th December does look quite likely though... 

If it's not Dec 12th, it will have to be in the New Year. An awful lot of polling stations (Like church and community halls etc) will be booked up during the run up to Xmas and no one wants to be the party that cancelled some pensioners xmas meal

And yes that means they'll be really popular campaigning over xmas

Â