The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I'm just sick of this relentless "Get it done" "We're tired and just need to get out any way we can" narrative. It's so disingenuous.

The country needs to get this right. The deadline is artificial. It's been created by the Tories to try and force an outcome they want for party, and in some cases personal reasons.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

It's so disingenuous.

It's not.

It's tactical.

Much like 'Leave means Leave' and '350 million to the NHS'

They knows over half of the country are idiots who lap this nonsense up.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's not.

It's tactical.

It is but it's also to do with those who are hoping to profit from it. Or who'd prefer that their grubby tax avoidance isn't exposed.

I really hope this is dragged out and we find out who's really been "betting against Britain".

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's not.

It's tactical.

Headline readers.

He's a bloody good Speaker. He's confident enough to not give a **** who he upsets, and he's consistent.

His resolve only seems to have hardened in light of the criticism he's had and the fact he's leaving the role.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 08:12, Chindie said:

Referendums are **** stupid ideas unless the matter is simple and largely meaningless - choices on national identity stuff like flags, anthems etc. The moment it becomes complicated you're putting a decision to a people who by and large are neither interested, qualified or informed enough to make a considered decision.

I disagree with you there. The people just need to be informed and interested in the matter.

I'll give you an example. Ireland has proportional representation (PR). In 1959 de Valera, knowing full well that his party would benefit from UK-style First Past the Post elections, held a referendum to scrap PR. The people went to the polls and did two things: elected de Valera as President, and voted to keep PR. They were able to like him personally but not want to change the electoral system to suit his party. That shows an impressive level of political understanding, and Ireland in 1959 was not as well educated as the UK in 2019.

For it to work you just need to get past the lies and propaganda and divisiveness. It works fine once you have a mature conversation about it, though I grant you mature conversation is harder in the Twitter age.

Â