The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, limpid said:

Would your proposed third vote but run legally or like the first one?

Third vote would hopefully be based on a poorly worded double negative question along the lines of:

’do you not reject the previous leave vote?’

coupled with a lack lustre campaign based mostly on hearsay and World War Two fun facts

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Taking back control and ending foreign interference in our politics.

I genuinely think the UK government are relying on no extension to force an agreement of the deal. I can’t see Parliament not voting for the deal if the only alternatives are no deal on the 31st or revoking.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I honestly believe if we had another referendum remain would win this time.  

Apparently thousands didn’t even bother voting because they felt there’s no chance leave would win.

It would be incredibly hard to predict

The age thing, the increase in remain turnout vs the decrease in leave turnout because their chips have been pissed on, the protect democracy crowd, so many factors

They would probably put some sort of % thing on it, it must be a clear victory of say 10% to come in to effect, like the one they should have done 1st time round... 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently thousands didn’t even bother voting because they felt there’s no chance leave would win.

Possibly, Still close enough for it not to be the end of it.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe. But there is literally no reason to leave and no reason to stay that didn't also exist in 2016. 

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Maybe. But there is literally no reason to leave and no reason to stay that didn't also exist in 2016. 

But there is imo, a massive reason to remain... Us, we have spent 3 years showing ourselves as utterly inept and in part near corrupt 

Europe hasn't changed but we have, massively 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

True but 3 years on the country knows for a fact how difficult it is to leave and what a shambles our government is. Yes they should have known this back then but frankly they didn’t and there were a  hell of a lot of a lies that people fell for. 

I’d be shocked if the country voted to leave a second time.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They would probably put some sort of % thing on it, it must be a clear victory of say 10% to come in to effect, like the one they should have done 1st time round

They wouldn't do that, it would instantly mean the first referendum was invalid

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but 3 years on the country knows for a fact how difficult it is to leave and what a shambles our government is. Yes they should have known this back then but frankly they didn’t and there were a  hell of a lot of a lies that people fell for. 

I don’t think the country does know for a fact how difficult it is to leave. In fact, it really isn’t.

What it’s proven, is it’s difficult to negotiate from a position of not really knowing what you want.

Plenty of people will be just as convinced as ever that it is perfectly easy to leave, but politicians didn’t really want to.

Add in to that some right wing chancer snake oil salesman with wall to wall publicity and the next election or referendum could get really nasty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agreed, so many factors point to this being the outcome.

If the Leave campaigns were so sure of the result, they'd hve offered this ages ago to end this debacle once and for all. They know they'd lose, which is why they will and have fought tooth and nail to not have a second referendum

1 minute ago, bickster said:

They wouldn't do that, it would instantly mean the first referendum was invalid

Which of course it was. 

But try telling that to Sharon from Stoke who is suddenly an expert on the British Constitution, law and economics. 

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t think the country does know for a fact how difficult it is to leave. In fact, it really isn’t.

What it’s proven, is it’s difficult to negotiate from a position of not really knowing what you want.

Plenty of people will be just as convinced as ever that it is perfectly easy to leave, but politicians didn’t really want to.

Add in to that some right wing chancer snake oil salesman with wall to wall publicity and the next election or referendum could get really nasty.

Ok but the part about our government showing what a shambles they are will play on people’s minds. Voters placed their faith in the government to negotiate a deal that was good for the country. That faith will have gone.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Which of course it was. 

But try telling that to Sharon from Stoke who is suddenly an expert on the British Constitution, law and economics. 

Sharons on a BBC retainer. 4 pints in the Spoons for every Vox Pop she does. Double the dosage and she won't even notice

• Like 1

Â