The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

27 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Pretty much. I think Cameron said that it would be up to a new PM to invoke article 50.

I'm not sure why they need to wait until party conference time to have a leadership election, though. Perhaps they don't fancy screwing up their summer holiday plans.

Cameron said he wants a new PM in place before the conference, I assume as it's going to be a fairly simple anointing of Boris.  The Tory MPs whittle it down to two and then the party members choose, so unless something weird happens it will be Boris fairly quickly.

Anyway this ultimately comes down to the EU's stupid idea of adding hundreds of millions of people to the union but never amending the rules along the way regarding having any control of movement of people.  It was a noble idea at the start, but it's been very costly here and if they don't see this referendum, a far right candidate almost winning in Austria, and the rise of nationalism everywhere as a show that things need to change then they're idiots too.

Great news - now all those bloody Indian and Pakistani people taking our jobs can go back to Europe where they belong...

And all those 'scare mongering' talks aren't already becoming fact. The Pound and FTSE are fine, it's just a conspiracy.

And we're sorry it was just a mistake about the £350m a week to the NHS, but just a little accident that wasn't a cornerstone of our campaign that we thought we'd admit to less than 24hrs after the voting has finished...

And of course Europe will treat us nicely as giving us favourable terms will naturally not encourage the whole union to break up. They'd never make an example out of us.

The country is just over half full of **** idiots who have just shown they hate the government so much they have given them even more power and made sure that the absolute most idiotic of politicians rule the roost.

I am only 35, this will have an impact on my life, but I half want to see the country burn now. Show the idiots what they've done.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Calais mayor raising binning the le Touquet agreement. I wouldn't be surprised to the see French keen to put that in the table in negotiations.

They warned us of this months ago. There'd be an amusing irony in the vote leading to more asylum seekers in the country, it's almost worth it to hear the impotent outrage from the far right.

Edited by Davkaus

11 minutes ago, brommy said:

Incredibly early days (the outlook should be to years and decades, not just for today), but after the initial panic, I think the markets have taken the result reasonably well. Consider that the stock and currency markets had already 'priced in' an expected remain result and were considered to be temporarily slightly high. Before yesterday, there was talk of 'profit taking' after a remain result which would have resulted in a drop in share and pound value, albeit smaller than with an exit result. As it stands the FSTE 100 has recovered to a 2.3% fall whilst the pound appears to be affect more at around 8% lower. I expect the pound to continue to struggle for some time but it may recover a little against a weakening Euro. Either way the figures to date don't yet appear to be in the 'sky falling down' category. Time will tell.

That's probably not going to happen, but you have to parse out the financial vs the real economy. The effects on the real economy aren't instantaneous and will play out over the next few months, these are obviously things like consumption, investment and employment decisions. Economic growth and productivity are two things that are likely to take a substantial hit.

Just now, Davkaus said:

They warned us of this months ago. There's be an amusing irony in the vote leading to more asylum seekers in the country, it's almost worth it to hear the impotent outrage from the far right.

The smug UKIP word removed on the Beeb just was very keen to let everyone know that that agreement is separate to the EU and nothing to worry about. 

I'm completely sure the French will be delighted to keep our border for us when we just told them and the rest of Europe to shove it.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The smug UKIP word removed on the Beeb just was very keen to let everyone know that that agreement is separate to the EU and nothing to worry about. 

I'm completely sure the French will be delighted to keep our border for us when we just told them and the rest of Europe to shove it.

Yes, the camps will likely be moved to Dover.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm trying to understand which cards he thinks we're holding, because I'm pretty sure it's a 2 and a 7. From the point of issuing article 50 we get 2 years, and there are 27 different countries, a single one can veto any term they like...The deck is stacked against a country wanting to leave.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

precisely why it had to be a leave 

Is there going to be some type of cull of everyone over the age of 60 ?

The point is, this country is going to be damaged irreparably by leaving the EU and it it will affect the future generations More than the older ones. That's patently obvious. What a sad, sad day for this country and for the prosperity of the continent on which we live.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

The point is, this country is going to be damaged irreparably by leaving the EU and it it will affect the future generations More than the older ones. That's patently obvious. What a sad, sad day for this country and for the prosperity of the continent on which we live.

Sad day for humanity, really.  I honestly thought we were better than this.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm trying to understand which cards he thinks we're holding, because I'm pretty sure it's a 2 and a 7. From the point of issuing article 50 we get 2 years, and there are 27 different countries, a single one can veto any term they like...The deck is stacked against a country wanting to leave.

It's fine, we've got great trade negotiators who've not had to do much for years, they'll ensure we get to keep everything good and have gold pavements and have everyone live like a king, and the economy tanking is good because we'll sell everything more and that totally won't be a bad thing long term, and Europe will bend over backwards to get good British products and services they totally can get somewhere else, and they won't at all look at us as an irritant that potentially threatens European business continent wide by encouraging the collapse of the EU and absolutely won't be at all vindictive.

No, everything's fine.

**** morons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Having looked at the "Agreement Article 25 paragraph 2 is as follows (Click here for full treaty):

This Treaty is concluded for an unlimited duration, and each of the Contracting Parties may terminate it at any time by written notification addressed through diplomatic channels to the other Party. The termination shall come into effect two years after the date of this notification. 

So they have to give 2 years notice on it... I have a funny feeling if we try and screw over France, they are likely to screw over us. 

Its this sort of stuff that makes the negotiations and the whole in/out vote exceptionally complicated and really shouldn't have been done by referendum. Thanks David, you've really done well there giving into your Right Wing! 

Just now, Genie said:

Where are all the "leave" voters? Even if this thread it's incredibly quiet, are they all saying oh shit?

Given the general animosity (not necessarily on here), I'm not too surprised that many are keeping low heads.

Personally, I'd just like some reassurance!  Why have they voted leave, what's the bonus here?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

No why? Girlfriend is allergic. 

It was a reference to the Home Secretary and a claim in one of her speeches.

Catgate

We all know the stories about the Human Rights Act. The violent drug dealer who cannot be sent home because his daughter – for whom he pays no maintenance – lives here. The robber who cannot be removed because he has a girlfriend. The illegal immigrant who cannot be deported because – and I am not making this up – he had a pet cat.

:D

Still in a little bit of disbelief over the whole thing to be honest.

My main issue is there's no roadmap or plan to reassure the public of what is going to happen or anyone valid to lead us through it. We're still in the dark and I expect to be for the forseeable future.

Now we're going to have a new Prime Minister to oversee this and unfortunately, he/she (please God, not Theresa the Witch May) will be elected by their own party without the consent of the public - this is one of the most important decision in Great Britain's history and I would rather have a General Election than someone forced upon us a la Gordon Brown when Blair ran away.

I have a terrible vision of both Prime Minister Johnson and President Trump shaking hands and gurning at the cameras amongst a mass of badly coiffured blonde hair.

• Like 3

Â