The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Oh course he thinks it's a good thing.

Chancellor Sajid Javid would support the deal even if one of its conditions included the provision of a mysterious force taking all of the first born children of the country one night.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Why's he doing that?

*shrugs*

Got a bit stroppy by their cancel Brexit policy on democratic grounds. Is retiring at the next election. Man don't give a f***.

Something along those lines.

Interestingly (maybe, depending on your perspective), Brexit hobgoblin Darren Grimes helped run Lamb's leadership campaign when Grimes was a Lib Dem activist and Lamb lost to Tim Farron. Small world.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The one lib dem is almost certainly Stephen Lloyd, who has promised to vote for a deal, isn't it? 

Nope, he's no longer a Lib Dem. Resigned the whip, so he's one of the independents.

Edit - with the other two being Ian Austin and Frank Field, who voted for May's deal. Sylvia Hermon voted for May's but is expected to vote against this one. Unionism etc.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thanks. So what's Norman lamb playing at then? 

Per my reply above to Snowy. One of those "this is shit, but if the people have voted for shit then who am I to stand in their way" types, particularly as he's standing down and doesn't have to argue with his members or voters about it.

It's not confirmed that he's voting that way by the way. just that he's making noises in favour of it.

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Surely parliament can insist on an impact assessment and to also be given enough time to scrutinise and debate Johnsons deal. It seems madness they will vote on something so monumental after a few hours debate on Saturday.

Its awful that the bully boys and girls at the EU are forcing us to sort this all out in a few weeks. Things like this take years...

21 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No one was duped (except maybe some members of the general public). The UK gov know that’s what the EU did, the DUP have been protesting about it all week, Frances and his friends have been scowling and fuming but the UK government are just going to accept it because they have no other choice. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Based on the noises coming out then it seems like this deal could have a chance?

It definitely does. Will be a handful of votes one way or the other. 

There's even talk of a tie and Bercow being the casting vote.

9 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Accept a Brexit deal just to "get it done", even if it throws families into poverty, it's worth it. Getting it done is always the outcome to look at when closing a deal.

That would be no deal mate

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are the grown ups in here going to make a prediction, or wait till after the result and say it was obvious it was going to happen 😉 

I think it will pass to avoid any chance of a no deal Brexit. 

Then hopefully we can all move on. 

Edit: I’ll be selling most my long GBP positions today. Buy the rumour, sell the news and all that.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are the grown ups in here going to make a prediction, or wait till after the result and say it was obvious it was going to happen 😉 

I predict that it will fail, by a slender margin. Then Boris will do what he is legally required to do under the Benn Act, and apply for an extension, which the EU will in due course accept. Then we will have an election. 

EDIT: I should add that while I'm happy to make these predictions, I don't make them with 100% confidence. The only one I feel strongly confident about is that Johnson will obey the Benn Act, whatever 'Number 10 sources' say. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I predict that it will fail, by a slender margin. Then Boris will do what he is legally required to do under the Benn Act, and apply for an extension, which the EU will in due course accept. Then we will have an election. 

That is my prediction too. It'll lose by 2 or 3 votes. Then it'll be an extension to end of March and a GE.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it will pass to avoid any chance of a no deal Brexit. 

Then hopefully we can all move on. 

The deal being voted for in Parliament on Saturday does not 'avoid any chance of a no deal Brexit'.

It passing on Saturday is probably the only way there could be a no deal Brexit on 31st October.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â