The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Didn’t a lot of the so called experts predict we’d go in to a deep recession if voted to leave? Or were they referring to once we actually left?  I genuinely can’t remember.

I remember the BOE overreacted by dropping rates and introducing more QE. That’s what did the most damage to the pound.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t a lot of the so called experts predict we’d go in to a deep recession if voted to leave? Or were they referring to once we actually left?  I genuinely can’t remember.

I remember the BOE overreacted by dropping rates and introducing more QE. That’s what did the most damage to the pound.

If we voted to leave. We were also told they'd be a need for an emergency budget.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That was based on the idea that we immediately left with no deal, as Cameron was saying he would do if we voted leave (and some rather dumb politicians also requested he do). If that had have happened, it would have been a disaster. As it things have been on a long downward trend drawn out over the saga so far. The pound's bounce on the merest sniff of a deal is testament to the dire outlook of things without a deal and, frankly, the long rumbling collapse it's taken to get here.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They were making worse case scenarios that we shouldn't have paid close attention to once they were proved wrong   , whereas , something like  yellow hammer was experts making worse case scenarios we should accept as fact and pay very close attention to , different experts for different causes  :)

but,  tbf the IMF and B of E did talk about a range of outcomes ,  and recession was acknowledged as one of many outcomes  .... the press of course picked up on the worse case outcome

Edited by tonyh29

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That was based on the idea that we immediately left with no deal,

Sorry but that's not actually true. The IMF (and George Osbourne for that matter) stated that the UK would be plunged into a recession, if the UK voted to leave the EU, based on the assumption that talks between the UK and EU would go on for a few years. The 'UK recession' prediction wasn't made on the assumption that the UK would leave the EU immediately - that was never going to happen.

The assumption of EU/UK talks taking a few years was correct. The UK being plunged into a recession wasn't.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A lot of information of the UK's actual economic performance relative to pre-Brexit predictions can be found in this Twitter thread:

The TLDR version is that there were multiple different predictions in 2016, by different organisations. Some, like the BOE and the OBR, were fairly accurate. Others, like the Treasury's 'severe shock' prediction and Economists for Brexit, were way out (too pessimistic in the case of the former, while the latter was too optimistic). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

I have had major issues with prescriptions for asthma, but I can't prove that is a Brexit impact - I just know it's never been the case before. Also, I had to have some antobiotics the other day, went to 6 different pharmacies before one had stock. 

Again, it could be nothing, or it could be because we are stockpiling for a rainy day.

I've had asthma for 20 years and various other ailments (i rattle with pills sometimes) and not noticed any difference in the last year or so in terms of supply. Certain medications have always been pot luck whether they will be in or not - if not in stock, they can have them the next day. 

That's just my situation. YMMV.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A lot of information of the UK's actual economic performance relative to pre-Brexit predictions can be found in this Twitter thread:

The TLDR version is that there were multiple different predictions in 2016, by different organisations. Some, like the BOE and the OBR, were fairly accurate. Others, like the Treasury's 'severe shock' prediction and Economists for Brexit, were way out (too pessimistic in the case of the former, while the latter was too optimistic). 

Our chart is still going up  though  so " under performance"  is a matter of perspective and is assuming Brexit is the only game in town  9 QE would have had an impact for example)

it's not my area so forgive a dumb question  , but can you make a fair comparison of 1 country v 27  ?  specifically during some of that  time Germany contracted(-.2%)  , Italy had zero growth  , France however recorded an increase (+.4% )  .. so a "EU" growth of + .2  , when in reality 2 of those 3 countries did badly  ... many of those EU countries showing good GDP growth are playing catch up and are presumably being helped by generous subsidies ,  I accept that is one of the arguments for the EU  , but i guess it kinda skews GDP growth in some regions ? 

As for the USA , seems the FT are making a good case for  Trump  :)

• Like 1

Those saying the backstop is gone are correct.

Ireland/the EU has agreed to sacrifice the backstop in exchange for the permission of a majority of a functioning NI executive to withdraw from the deal. The key is functioning. Sinn Fein can collapse the Assembly whenever they want, and then NI are stuck in. So Boris "Churchill" Johnson has just handed a huge power card to SF, whose principal aim is create unity between NI and the Republic. Why would Sinn Fein of all parties ever ever ever ever agree to a hard border in Ireland?

Yeah, we'll take that compromise 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Enda said:

Ireland/the EU has agreed to sacrifice the backstop in exchange for the permission of a majority of a functioning NI executive to withdraw from the deal. The key is functioning. Sinn Fein can collapse the Assembly whenever they want, and then NI are stuck in. So Boris "Churchill" Johnson has just handed a huge power card to SF, whose principal aim is create unity between NI and the Republic. Why would Sinn Fein of all parties ever ever ever ever agree to a hard border in Ireland?

Yeah, we'll take that compromise 😂

It does appear some are celebrating that it removes something called the 'backstop' for something much worse (for them)

But because it's no longer a backstop, it's a victory. 😂

And the idiots will cheer for it.

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

It seems like it's essentially morphed into being in the actual deal, rather than being a contingency, only to be invoked in the event of various technical solutions not materialising. No wonder (from their perspective) the DUP are against .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Could you elaborate on that?

How many extensions have we had?

How long have we had to sort this mess out?

How many times have these fools failed to agree on anything?

We are a complete laughing stock

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I would say voting to leave has made us a laughing stock tbh.

I haven't met anyone across Europe who hasn't asked me wtf are we doing.

Yep I agree with that. That too. We should never be leaving. 

Â