The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

33 minutes ago, Awol said:

Anyone who really thinks we’re going to run out of food and medicine post Brexit should probably seek help when crossing the road. 

If I didn’t think Brexit was better long term for the country I wouldn’t support it. 

My mum is on long term medication and her doctor has said to her that Brexit could be an issue when it comes to prescriptions in future.

I have had major issues with prescriptions for asthma, but I can't prove that is a Brexit impact - I just know it's never been the case before. Also, I had to have some antobiotics the other day, went to 6 different pharmacies before one had stock. 

Again, it could be nothing, or it could be because we are stockpiling for a rainy day.

4 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

My mum is on long term medication and her doctor has said to her that Brexit could be an issue when it comes to prescriptions in future.

I have had major issues with prescriptions for asthma, but I can't prove that is a Brexit impact - I just know it's never been the case before. Also, I had to have some antobiotics the other day, went to 6 different pharmacies before one had stock. 

Again, it could be nothing, or it could be because we are stockpiling for a rainy day.

3462980267.jpg

Barbara here will look after you, don't you worry about them roads now.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In fairness theres dozens of examples of the 'leading lights' of Leave talking about everything from Norway to single market membership to customs union as what 'Leave' was.

Because all of them didn't have a **** clue, and all of them are **** chancers.

This is why I said it'd be a much better referendum now if they did another one, we finally have the one concrete version of leave.  My biggest problem with 'accepting the will of the people' was that nobody could agree what leaving was. If they did run another referendum based on Boris's deal and leave won, then I'd simply have to accept and live with it, warts and all.  At the same time we've already heard from Brexiteers, particularly in NI, that you might as well just stay in the EU. There must be many who voted leave that realise their unicorn version is impossible to get. I still think a new ref is the best idea if parliament is still gridlocked by October 31st (a GE would be alright but I don't like it when one issue dominates an election, it should be about much more than that). 

5 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

stockpiling is happening. My friend is a GP, there are drugs that aren't available right now because of the uncertainty. 

• Like 1

Think people are getting out over their skis on Juncker's comments:

The EU won't refuse an extension IMO. That would be the fastest way for the EU to be blamed for breaking the Good Friday Agreement, which they obviously want to avoid. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The doctor consulted for the Yellowhammer document was quite, quite clear that he had had to provide assessments of the impact of a no deal, which included additional deaths.

There isn't a scenario where anything changes that won't lead to increased harm over the status quo to some degree.

You're not coming across well Awol, and certainly far worse than you really should.

The doctor who it was later revealed is an active Remain campaigner? No wonder he was invited by May’s administration to contribute. 

Doctor in row with Jacob Rees-Mogg is Remain campaigner who hates Boris Johnson, social media posts reveal

53 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The doctor consulted for the Yellowhammer document was quite, quite clear that he had had to provide assessments of the impact of a no deal, which included additional deaths.

There isn't a scenario where anything changes that won't lead to increased harm over the status quo to some degree.

Yellow Hammer Doctor specifically referred  to flow rate between " the channel straits"  when making his assement ....  in recent weeks there were numerous contracts put in place to ensure other routes were open and not restricting  to the channel

A deal was also signed for  more medicine flights into Coventry  , the same Coventry that acts as hub for most of the drugs supplied to Northern Ireland

so , an assumption on worse case scenario has to a degree already become outdated

Edited by tonyh29
corrected the country :)

Just now, Awol said:

The doctor who it was later revealed is an active Remain campaigner? No wonder he was invited by May’s administration to contribute. 

Doctor in row with Jacob Rees-Mogg is Remain campaigner who hates Boris Johnson, social media posts reveal

He’d be breaking his Hippocratic Oath if he didn’t campaign for remain, knowing what he knows. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I haven't met anyone across Europe who hasn't asked me wtf are we doing.

Overlooking the absurdity of that statement   , I've been to more countries in Europe than you have and I can assure you that the people you've met don't speak for the entire continent of Europe 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Is this where I say 'you're wrong' whilst not providing any evidence.

Asking as you're the expert.

Here you go then, from diabetes.co.uk - the experts as it were..

This is called business continuity planning - just in case

“People with diabetes that rely on insulinare being reassured that contingency plans are in place, should a no-deal Brexit go ahead.

Diabetes UK report that all three main insulin manufacturers – Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk and Sanofi – have confirmed they are keeping additional supplies.

The charity confirms all three pharmaceutical firms have gone "beyond the recommendations made by the government" and are stockpiling at least 16 weeks' worth of insulin.”

Note, this is a ‘just in case’ measure, over and above the government’s own recommendations. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think people are getting out over their skis on Juncker's comments:

The EU won't refuse an extension IMO. That would be the fastest way for the EU to be blamed for breaking the Good Friday Agreement, which they obviously want to avoid. 

Yes, I can't see why it would be in the EU's interest to refuse an extension, in a situation where the political balance is so unstable and an election may happen.  It makes sense to put pressure on Saturday's vote by suggesting this is the only available deal, and I assume that's his aim in saying this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yellow Hammer Doctor specifically referred  to flow rate between " the channel straits"  when making his assement ....  in recent weeks there were numerous contracts put in place to ensure other routes were open and not restricting  to the channel

A deal was also signed for  more medicine flights into Coventry  , the same Coventry that acts as hub for most of the drugs supplied to Northern Island

so , an assumption on worse case scenario has to a degree already become outdated

Yes.

But the point, ironically, remains. Any Leave option, upto perhaps the softest of soft 'BINO' options, is going to add difficulty to supply chains and business. That difficulty snowballs down and up the chain. Not only does the end user, for instance, come at increased risk of supply disruption, but theres also knock ons to all the associated businesses which ultimately will see people getting hit by it, even in the tiniest ways - from even the smallest increased cost, to job losses. Which in turn snowball to physical harm.

For nothing.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

A deal was also signed for  more medicine flights into Coventry  , the same Coventry that acts as hub for most of the drugs supplied to Northern Island

Sshhhh. You mustn’t disturb people when they’re catastrophizing: 

No-deal Brexit: 'Nothing is going to happen' at Dover and Calais, insists head of French ports  'If both sides do their homework, traffic will be completely fluid,' says the man in charge of Calais

Dover and Calais will continue to work smoothly after Brexit, according to man in charge of the French Channel ports, who described concerns about the crossing as "bullshit".”

But we’re all doomed. Apparently. 

Â