The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

49 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Don't want to tempt fate but I find it pretty surprising that nobody has managed to blow up a major passenger plane post 9/11.

but W H Smiths still get to put a 200% mark up on stuff the other side of security 🤔

and to be fair I've seen worse, £4 for a bottle of coke at Frankfurt airport the other week

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Don't want to tempt fate but I find it pretty surprising that nobody has managed to blow up a major passenger plane post 9/11.

When I flew out of Tel Aviv one  time I was specifically asked if it was my intention to blow a plane up today , obviously it wasn't ,  but had it been I would have been obligated to say yes and then plot foiled   ... maybe its  this level of questioning  implemented at key airports  that has deterred any would be suicide bombers

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

When I flew out of Tel Aviv one  time I was specifically asked if it was my intention to blow a plane up today , obviously it wasn't ,  but had it been I would have been obligated to say yes and then plot foiled   ... maybe its  this level of questioning  implemented at key airports  that has deterred any would be suicide bombers

A friend when asked that question once by US Border guards said ”I've come to f*** your women and drink lots of your piss weak beer”

He was put on the next plane home 🤣 (must have been the beer comment)

• Haha 2

Anyone noticed that Wee jimmy Krankie seems to be using similar rhetoric for an independent Scotland that leave campaigners  did for leaving the EU ?

Apparently Scotchland will become a "magnet for global investment" once it leaves the UK  and would have the " best of both worlds"  ... wonder what form of cake she will be suggesting for dessert

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Anyone noticed that Wee jimmy Krankie seems to be using similar rhetoric for an independent Scotland that leave campaigners  did for leaving the EU ?

Apparently Scotchland will become a "magnet for global investment" once it leaves the UK  and would have the " best of both worlds"  ... wonder what form of cake she will be suggesting for dessert

I do find it staggering that one set of people can ridicule leaving EU because of negative consequences and the need to stay together and then shout for leaving another Union, the UK.

I'm confident Scotland can do well on its own and I salute the independence fight, but there seems to be a lack of consistency.

Just now, Mic09 said:

I do find it staggering that one set of people can ridicule leaving EU because of negative consequences and the need to stay together and then shout for leaving another Union, the UK.

I'm confident Scotland can do well on its own and I salute the independence fight, but there seems to be a lack of consistency.

Self rule and being in an economic trading bloc are two entirely different things. You know, sovereignty and all that.

It is highly probable that were the UK to actually leave the EU and Scotland break up the Union then Scotland would apply to rejoin the EU and be better off than had they not gained independence

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

It is highly probable that were the UK to actually leave the EU and Scotland break up the Union then Scotland would apply to rejoin the EU and be better off than had they not gained independence

<< Insert Unicorn gif here >>

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

<< Insert Unicorn gif here >>

Only because the UK will not ultimately leave the EU imo

Ironically if we do stay, the argument for Scotland to break up the Union almost goes away. In those circumstances with the UK back in the EU fold, its more likely that Scotland would take much longer to rejoin

Then it will be the Scots acting against their own country's self interest by harming themselves economically for some romantic pipedream. Wee Jimmy then becomes the new Farage

32 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Really?

People that want to stay in a huge international grouping, being told that against their wishes they have to leave and be in a smaller grouping.

They’re about 50/50 on whether actually they meant what they voted for and do want to stay in the EU.

I might or might not agree, but there’s a clear logic. I’d find that more logical than demanding my independence and then insisting others can’t have theirs.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Deal basically agreed apparently. 

Effectively the old, Theresa May original one with a Northern Ireland-only backstop and the DUP cut loose. 

So that was worth wasting two years over.

If that was the case then it's irrelevant, it'll not be approved by MPs. Minus 40 odd, add on DUP, easy reason not to agree by everyone else. Surely?

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Deal basically agreed apparently. 

Effectively the old, Theresa May original one with a Northern Ireland-only backstop and the DUP cut loose. 

So that was worth wasting two years over.

Edit: I'm assuming still with Johnson's regulatory divergence for the rest of the UK?

Edited by snowychap

11 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

If that was the case then it's irrelevant, it'll not be approved by MPs. Minus 40 odd, add on DUP, easy reason not to agree by everyone else. Surely?

You'd think. But if reports are correct this is basically everything the EU27 want. The original deal but with the massive concession they gave to May taken out again. This is their dream outcome. 

So if I were them, I'd be offering a short technical extension on condition that the deal is passed (which Johnson then accepts, nullifying the Benn Act), and if the deal isn't passed then the UK can revoke or just leave. 

Giving Labour the choice of voting for the deal or revoking. With no third option. 

Johnson then goes into an election under a bit of pressure from Farage but Labour  and the Lib Dems with no idea what to do next. And their voters probably likewise. 

Edit - the only saving grace would be if it were amended to include a referendum. As it would be tricky to see them EU27 say no to that. And Johnson would have a tricky time selling the upside of May's  Deal But Worse to the public.

Edited by ml1dch

Would be quite funny if during the period in history that the DUP had the greatest influence on and access to the Government resulted in a border being created between Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the legalisation of abortion and same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland.  

i.e. all the things that they want least in the world. Seems they've played their hand pretty badly.

Edited by ml1dch

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Would be quite funny if during the period in history that the DUP had the greatest influence on and access to the Government resulted in a border being created between Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the legalisation of abortion and same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland.  

i.e. all the things that they want least in the world. Seems they've played their hand pretty badly.

Their bad hand comes from supporting Brexit in the first place. Once they had done, there was no way they could come out ahead. 

Â