The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

52 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No surprise to me, Hugo. It was obviously not going to be easy with the EU wanting to protect it’s status and the UK wanting it’s cake and to eat it. Throw in the NI border issue and the EU often negotiating to the last minute, I’d have struggled to get my ‘head around’ if it had been amicably sorted with months to go!

18 minutes ago, brommy said:

No surprise to me, Hugo. It was obviously not going to be easy with the EU wanting to protect it’s status and the UK wanting it’s cake and to eat it. Throw in the NI border issue and the EU often negotiating to the last minute, I’d have struggled to get my ‘head around’ if it had been amicably sorted with months to go!

'Amicably sorted out with months to go' is not what his tweet said or even implied.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

'Amicably sorted out with months to go' is not what his tweet said or even implied.

The tweet implied outrageousness that the end result would be unknown with a short time remaining. Neither party would have accepted the unacceptable or deeply undesirable earlier in the timetable so unless the situation had been resolved amicably some time ago, it was obviously going to the wire. No surprise to me, as detailed.

28 minutes ago, brommy said:

The tweet implied outrageousness that the end result would be unknown with a short time remaining. Neither party would have accepted the unacceptable or deeply undesirable earlier in the timetable so unless the situation had been resolved amicably some time ago, it was obviously going to the wire. No surprise to me, as detailed.

Cool. Given your admirable powers of interpretation of how this plays out, which you've known up to now - give us a sneaky peak of how it plays out from here. What does the next, say five weeks look like?

Edited by ml1dch

13 minutes ago, brommy said:

The tweet implied outrageousness that the end result would be unknown with a short time remaining.

Actually, the tweet explicitly spoke about the entire spectrum of possibilities still being on the table with a (very) short time remaining, i.e. 'hard Brexit, no deal Brexit, soft Brexit or no Brexit', and how outrageous that would have seemed two years ago.

It's not about 'going to the wire', it's about what they're 'going to the wire' with.

Edited by snowychap

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Actually, the tweet explicitly spoke about the entire spectrum of possibilities still being on the table with a (very) short time remaining, i.e. 'hard Brexit, no deal Brexit, soft Brexit or no Brexit', and how outrageous that would have seemed two years ago.

How outrageous? To me, not very, if at all. Especially as it isn’t surprising. In this respect my opinion appears to differ from that implied by the tweet.

1 hour ago, brommy said:

How outrageous? To me, not very, if at all. Especially as it isn’t surprising. In this respect my opinion appears to differ from that implied by the tweet.

'Outrageous' isn't the point here - I'm reusing the words from the initial tweet so that we're trying to stay within the bounds of a proper discussion. It is his tweet to which you have objected, after all.

Are you now claiming that it isn't surprising to you that every potential eventuality running the entire spectrum from the hardest of Brexits to no Brexit at all was actually forecast by you to still all be very possible 32 days before what is at the moment Brexit day?

Because if that's what you are claiming then it isn't what you posted either three or four posts ago.

Edited by snowychap
was for were

53 minutes ago, snowychap said:

'Outrageous' isn't the point here - I'm reusing the words from the initial tweet so that we're trying to stay within the bounds of a proper discussion. It is his tweet to which you have objected, after all.

Are you now claiming that it isn't surprising to you that every potential eventuality running the entire spectrum from the hardest of Brexits to no Brexit at all was actually forecast by you to still all be very possible 32 days before what is at the moment Brexit day?

Because if that's what you are claiming then it isn't what you posted either three or four posts ago.

I read the tweet you posted about trying to get one’s head around how outrageous it would have seemed two years ago that the various options would still remain. I did exactly that and decided - not very. Believing that the outcome would take time and was unpredictable includes not knowing what the outcome would be. I didn’t predict that all the options would remain to date but I thought that they might. As such, following the tweets suggestion to try to get my head around how outrageous the current situation would seem two years ago, I would have felt distinctly ‘un-outraged’. The tweet implies that the tweeter believes many would be outraged. That I’m not one of them shouldn’t be an issue and hardly makes me Nostradamus. 😀

Just to add, in regards to your comment that I objected to the tweet - I really don’t see honestly answering the implied question within the tweet as objecting to the tweet. Disagreeing with a comment does not equate to objecting to it.

Edited by brommy
Objection.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, brommy said:

I read the tweet you posted about trying to get one’s head around how outrageous it would have seemed two years ago that the various options would still remain. I did exactly that and decided - not very. Believing that the outcome would take time and was unpredictable includes not knowing what the outcome would be. I didn’t predict that all the options would remain to date but I thought that they might. As such, following the tweets suggestion to try to get my head around how outrageous the current situation would seem two years ago, I would have felt distinctly ‘un-outraged’. The tweet implies that the tweeter believes many would be outraged. That I’m not one of them shouldn’t be an issue and hardly makes me Nostradamus. 😀

Just to add, in regards to your comment that I objected to the tweet - I really don’t see honestly answering the implied question within the tweet as objecting to the tweet. Disagreeing with a comment does not equate to objecting to it.

What a load of shit. 😂

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

What a response! 🤣

Well, it's as good as your replies only in fewer words. As, however, the pithy isn't to your liking:

You've just tried to double down on the crap that you came out with before only you've thrown in some extra shit just for kicks.

Your original post talked about 'Amicably sorted out with months to go' and not what the chap's tweet said which was about every possible eventuality still being on the table.

Try and fluff it out as much as you want, try and claim you were talking about something else as much as you will and add in whatever laughing or crying smiley takes your fancy but, frankly, you're talking utter tripe.

Thanks for the effort. It wasn't good, the attainment was worse.

Edited by snowychap

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Well, it's as good as your replies only in fewer words. Come on!

You've just tried to double down on the crap that you came out with before only you've thrown in some extra shit just for kicks.

Your original post talked about 'Amicably sorted out with months to go' and not what the chap's tweet said which was about every possible eventuality still being on the table.

Try and fluff it out as much as you want, try and claim you were talking about something else as much as you will and add in whatever laughing or crying smiley takes your fancy but, frankly, you're talking utter tripe.

Thanks for the effort. It wasn't good, the attainment was worse.

If find a post funny, I feel it’s okay to add an appropriate smiley. It appears you’ve outdone the quality of your previous post but I”ll spare you the smiley if you”re not up to it.  No fluff or tripe, although it would be easy to retort likewise. I”m now leaving it as a difference of opinion over outrageousness. Have an inoffensive thums-up - 👍

Just now, brommy said:

If find a post funny, I feel it’s okay to add an appropriate smiley. It appears you’ve outdone the quality of your previous post but I”ll spare you the smiley if you”re not up to it.  No fluff or tripe, although it would be easy to retort likewise. I”m now leaving it as a difference of opinion over outrageousness. Have an inoffensive thums-up - 👍

As per a previous post I made, it's not about 'outrageousness'. To be trying to make it about that (or smileys) is nonsense.

I don't have a difference of opinion with you on the subject of you not believing that it would be 'amicably sorted out with months to go'. I have no issue with your opinion, i.e. that you may have thought that two years ago.

I can't tell whether that was or wasn't the case - there may be evidence that you'd wish to provide - but I'm quite happy to take your word that this is what you believed then.

The issue is that what you claimed to have believed in your post is not the same thing as that which the tweeter claimed would have been outrageous to be thinking.

And here we are, back at the beginning.

Add in the smiley of your choice...

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Add in the smiley of your choice...

Cheers! Despite brexit proving to be bothersome and my currently unfulfilled desire for Villa success, I’ve chosen a smiley to represent my happy contentment with life, family and friends and work - 😎

6 hours ago, brommy said:

I think you’re right. If we had decent politicians then the tweet would be right, but we don’t, so anyone expecting it’d all be nice and clear ages ago would seem to have more faith in May, Corbyn et al than they merit.

its also clear (in my world) that we’re not leaving on 29 March. No one wants no deal, so that’s not going to happen. The U.K. won’t have all the laws in place to leave on 29 March and so it’ll get either cancelled or delayed. I know May is trying to jemmy her deal through, I know no deal is the default, but neither of them are going to happen. Her deal was rejected by the biggest parliamentary defeat in history and no deal is suicide.

• Like 3

Â