The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

On 20/02/2019 at 13:06, tonyh29 said:

I linked to that yesterday  , the noises airbus have been making were that it would be  "many, many years" before U.K. employees would be affected in case the company decides to relocate

Obviously you're closer to it than most  , What are they saying inside the industry , that they aren't saying publicly ?

I can't say I know all the details.

Disruption to the supply chain in the short term and loss of investment in the industry in this country in the long term are probably the main factors. Our company overall will be fine, but as a UK site in a business unit that also has sites in France, Italy, Poland and the US, it's easy to see how our huge American owned company might see the UK site as a risk.

Like I said, I don't pretend to know all the details, but I do know that our VP has explicitly told us that Brexit is the single biggest risk to the business unit at the moment.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

poxy google translate :)

OT but  googles lack of translate skills reminds me when I was young and in love and used to try and write Hungarian emails  to the future  Mrs H  ...I'd send emails  in Hungarian saying something like you smell  like a hippopotamus  , when I was supposed to be  saying I'd like to smoother you in peanut butter 

of course now we've been married 18 years I don't bother trying to be romantic and just eat the peanut butter from a jar whilst i watch the football on TV

Also OT but Hungarian is a pretty weird language. Most European languages overlap with each other to a certain degree but Hungarian is almost unique (though I think there are some connections to Finnish?). Apparently the language might have been brought to Europe buy Mongolian invaders. 

Fun fact: When writing the Star Wars scripts George Lucas would translate Yoda’s lines to Hungarian and then back to English to get his weird speaking style. 

On 20/02/2019 at 16:36, chrisp65 said:

mmmm, maybe. Perhaps if there had been genuine pragmatism, genuine concessions we might not all be in this mess. But the policy of France and Germany to drive and drive and drive towards a United States of Europe just proved too much to swallow. 

Perhaps our leaving will actually be of benefit to the smaller nations like Ireland and Greece. Perhaps the realisation by France and Germany that countries can leave will cause them not to run the EU for their sole benefit. For a while.

As someone from a smaller nation, I strongly disagree that France and Germany run it for themselves. The EU is quite a weak institution. That's not an accident. It's limited in its ability to affect change outside of its narrowly defined remit.

May apparently confirms that, yet again, the 'meaningful vote' is to be delayed.

Beeb:

MPs will be able to have a final vote on the Brexit deal by 12 March, Prime Minister Theresa May has said.

Speaking to reporters as she travelled to a summit in Egypt, Mrs May ruled out holding the parliamentary vote on her deal this week.

... more on link

Next announcement from her on it will be on 10th March to say that it is being delayed until 26th March?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Not sure what position that puts the likes of Grieve, Letwin and Boles in.

If the government aren't holding the vote then there's no Cooper amendment, surely?

Edit: Reading Peston's post about it, looks like I'm wrong. There is still due to be a vote on the Cooper/Letwin thing on Wednesday, he says.

Edited by snowychap

Just now, Davkaus said:

Well, when she's pissed 2 years up the wall doing nothing of note, what's another fortnight? It's alright, we'll have 17 days left.

And then we'll have a week left.

And then we'll have 3 days left.

And we'll have a day left.

And then it'll be 5 minutes left.

And then it'll be too late.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chindie said:

And then we'll have a week left.

And then we'll have 3 days left.

And we'll have a day left.

And then it'll be 5 minutes left.

And then it'll be too late.

Bet that rejected deal will be looking pretty good towards the end of March.

Image result for theresa may gif

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Bet that rejected deal will be looking pretty good towards the end of March.

Image result for theresa may gif

Well, that's her gamble of course. It's been obvious for months that her game was to hold the country to ransom in the hope Parliament shits itself when the cliff edge appears.

Genuinely that gif makes me gag a little.

Asked what she would do if she lost the meaningful vote, she said: “Why is it that people are always trying to look for the next thing after the next thing after the next thing?

“It is pointless, we should focus on what we are doing now, which is working to get a deal and bring that deal to a meaningful vote, which I want to see passed by the House of Commons and leave on 29 March.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/24/theresa-may-postpones-meaningful-vote-on-final-brexit-deal

Agreed, things are going so well, who cares about Plan B? :bang:

Morrisons' tiramisu is delicious, easily the best of all the supermarket versions. It's actually made in Italy. I'm going to be really pissed off if it disappears off the shelves due to Brexit. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Morrisons' tiramisu is delicious, easily the best of all the supermarket versions. It's actually made in Italy. I'm going to be really pissed off if it disappears off the shelves due to Brexit. 

fear not, we have our top man working on this

man

3000.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

Â